Upgrading cf-31

Post all questions and information about the CF-31 in here.
Tesla

Upgrading cf-31

#1 Post by Tesla »

Hi I am new and a bit of a novice but know this is where to find help in upgrading my cf-31. I bought it from Ray for $2700, re-manufactured. It was half the price compared to buying one in Ausie. I have contacted the local Panasonic resalers for help but due to the fact I imported from the USA and I am not a service agent they will not help, sell parts to me even if I paid them to install them.
It's a CF-31ATAAXPM and I would like to install these items:
GOBI
GPS
WebCam
FireWire Port
I bought 8GB Kingston Hyperx ram and an intel 510 SSD 250 GB but (my mistake) the voltage for the SSD is 5V where the cf-31 is 3.5V. I saw on a forum where a guy in Japan had installed the same by cutting two of the pins off, I'm not so sure about doing this since the SSD was expensive - any ideas or will I have to buy another SSD?
With the GOBI I checked out the Sierra web site and there are new ones out which can do GOBI4 with built in GPS. Is it just case of getting one of these and putting it in or is there specific software/firmware required? I looked around and most of the cards are superseded. Also Where would I get the antennae for this Toughbook for the same?
Is it possible to buy a Web Cam and FireWire port and where from?
I don't want to make any more mistakes like the SSD but would like to install the items all at the same time. I will install dual boot with XP Pro 64 and Windows 7 Ultimate. I need the XP for talking to older controllers. Which brings me to the use of the beast machine. I am a HVAC and controls (BMS) Technician working on a site with 500 buildings. My company makes us use PDAs (one finger typing) so if I had wireless fast internet it would remove the PDA. I would be able to connect to a base PC which has access to all of the BMS for most of the buildings and download/view floor plans for places that I am not familiar with - floor plans and A/C duct layouts etc. Then at home I have two external full HD TV tuners via FireWire. It would be really cool if I could install a USB3 port too instead of using PC card.
I would rather spend the money now and get the full use with the latest gear than wait a few years like my old Travemate 8200. I appreciate any help you could provide on the many questions I have asked. :newbie:

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

Re: Upgrading cf-31

#2 Post by Rob »

I can tell you this:

I actually have 2, yes 2 GPS recievers in my CF-31 - one that came with the CF-31 embedded, and one with the GOBI 2000 card. When using a GPS program such as Streets and Trips 2010 I can switch between the 2 actually. I've heard rumors that the built in one (COM3 in my case) is better than the GOBI GPS, but they both seem to work just great for me... I can't speak on behalf of the GOBI4, but I know that the GOBI 2000 has a GPS built in and it seems to work great!

According to your model number you don't have GOBI installed from the factory so you will have to do a special firmware upgrade to enable GOBI in your BIOS. More info HERE: http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason ... -31-a.html

I didn't even realize that the CF-31 didn't have a 1394 Firewire port... The CF-30's do have them! WOW, Panny took that out. I'd suggest and express slot firewire card. You can get them locally for about $50.

Good idea in buying from Ray over at Rugged Depot! He's a good guy and takes care of people! I got my CF-31 from him too.
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Tesla

#3 Post by Tesla »

Rob wrote:I can tell you this:

I actually have 2, yes 2 GPS recievers in my CF-31 - one that came with the CF-31 embedded, and one with the GOBI 2000 card. When using a GPS program such as Streets and Trips 2010 I can switch between the 2 actually. I've heard rumors that the built in one (COM3 in my case) is better than the GOBI GPS, but they both seem to work just great for me... I can't speak on behalf of the GOBI4, but I know that the GOBI 2000 has a GPS built in and it seems to work great!

According to your model number you don't have GOBI installed from the factory so you will have to do a special firmware upgrade to enable GOBI in your BIOS. More info HERE: http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason ... -31-a.html

I didn't even realize that the CF-31 didn't have a 1394 Firewire port... The CF-30's do have them! WOW, Panny took that out. I'd suggest and express slot firewire card. You can get them locally for about $50.

Good idea in buying from Ray over at Rugged Depot! He's a good guy and takes care of people! I got my CF-31 from him too.
Cool - Thanks Rob
I'll do some more research on the WWAN card over the week end with the info you gave me - pretty sneaky, I think the same about Panasonic too. Now I know I can't use embedded and can use a card. Can I use any one that will fit in? and what about the antennae? any ideas. I'm really checking out the prices on these items and what model as I think some of the olde ones are being sold at the newer ones prices. I think I need 7800 frequency for the best local data connection here.
I definitely don't have a FireWire port just the USB. I would rather get a FireWire port as to a card, which just makes it easier and less mess, I will try to source one from a generic laptop company an retrofit it.
I like Ray too but like his prices even better.
Just a few more days before my RAM arrives then I will tackle the SSD issue? I will post how it goes.

tomcat57

#4 Post by tomcat57 »

Tesla wrote:I bought 8GB Kingston Hyperx ram and an intel 510 SSD 250 GB but (my mistake) the voltage for the SSD is 5V where the cf-31 is 3.5V. I saw on a forum where a guy in Japan had installed the same by cutting two of the pins off, I'm not so sure about doing this since the SSD was expensive - any ideas or will I have to buy another SSD?
First
I think you have recieved incorrect information
This is the first time I have read that the cf-31 using a non-standard hard drive
To confirm what you beleve you need to go to
Computer/C:/Properties, open the hardware tab
Reply back with your hard drive part number ,so I can look up the specs

Thanks

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#5 Post by Rob »

The antenna is built into the machine and doesn't retract out of the screen like on the CF-30. Same with the GPS - there is no "hump" that comes out of the right upper corner of the screen.

Additionally: You CANNOT just put any WWAN card (IE Sierra Wireless MC5725 or MC5720) into this unit, it HAS TO be a GOBI card! Gobi is better anyways because it's faster and has the GPS option. Be sure to go with GOBI 2000 and NOT GOBI 1000.

w00t!
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Tesla

#6 Post by Tesla »

tomcat57 wrote:
Tesla wrote:I bought 8GB Kingston Hyperx ram and an intel 510 SSD 250 GB but (my mistake) the voltage for the SSD is 5V where the cf-31 is 3.5V. I saw on a forum where a guy in Japan had installed the same by cutting two of the pins off, I'm not so sure about doing this since the SSD was expensive - any ideas or will I have to buy another SSD?
First
I think you have recieved incorrect information
This is the first time I have read that the cf-31 using a non-standard hard drive
To confirm what you beleve you need to go to
Computer/C:/Properties, open the hardware tab
Reply back with your hard drive part number ,so I can look up the specs

Thanks
Hi tomcat57
I have a Hitachi HTS545016B9SA00 installed and I have an Intel SSDSC250A2K5 sitting on my table ready to put in.
Thanks

Tesla

#7 Post by Tesla »

Rob wrote:The antenna is built into the machine and doesn't retract out of the screen like on the CF-30. Same with the GPS - there is no "hump" that comes out of the right upper corner of the screen.

Additionally: You CANNOT just put any WWAN card (IE Sierra Wireless MC5725 or MC5720) into this unit, it HAS TO be a GOBI card! Gobi is better anyways because it's faster and has the GPS option. Be sure to go with GOBI 2000 and NOT GOBI 1000.

w00t!
Great! Thanks Rob
I just checked out the GOBI 2000 on ebay and almost all are less than $100. But are there different models which might or might not work - I will need to use the 850mhz as main frequency. I was quoted $660 locally for a Sierra MC8700 unit installed. Most on ebay are Gobi2000 UN2420 2G 3G WWAN with different GPS models but I'm just not sure which one to get.
The question about the antennae is from the manual where it says "only for model with WWAN or GPS", also the local guy who quoted above said the antennae would need to be installed? - Should I jsut get the card and install it then see what happens, open up the Toughbook to see if its in there or is there a simpler way to find out if it is there?
Thanks

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#8 Post by Rob »

Tesla wrote:
Rob wrote:The antenna is built into the machine and doesn't retract out of the screen like on the CF-30. Same with the GPS - there is no "hump" that comes out of the right upper corner of the screen.

w00t!
Great! Thanks Rob
I just checked out the GOBI 2000 on ebay and almost all are less than $100. But are there different models which might or might not work - I will need to use the 850mhz as main frequency. I was quoted $660 locally for a Sierra MC8700 unit installed. Most on ebay are Gobi2000 UN2420 2G 3G WWAN with different GPS models but I'm just not sure which one to get.
The question about the antennae is from the manual where it says "only for model with WWAN or GPS", also the local guy who quoted above said the antennae would need to be installed? - Should I jsut get the card and install it then see what happens, open up the Toughbook to see if its in there or is there a simpler way to find out if it is there?
Thanks

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about! On your CF-31 if you uncover the HDMI port on it you'll see a SIM card slot to put your SIM card (only if you're using ATT of course). The GOBI card it's self goes where the memory goes under the cover on the BOTTOM of the unit. There is a Green and a Gray antenna that aren't being used that you connect to the card to enable it. AFAIK ALL CF-31's are WWAN ready (Just like ALL CF-19's are WWAN ready)! As far as the price is concerned. I paid $132 and got mine from Heartland Services which is the ONLY Panny authorized place to buy parts! - CF-31 GOBI 2000 Card – P/N: 1100984 - $132.12

Heartlands number is 1-913-685-8855. Have fun.

Thanks
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~

tomcat57

#9 Post by tomcat57 »

Tesla wrote: Hi tomcat57
I have a Hitachi HTS545016B9SA00 installed and I have an Intel SSDSC250A2K5 sitting on my table ready to put in.
Thanks
Go for it
I looked up the specs for your hard drive ,and it's a standard type, not a special type like the old CF-W2 used that required a special hard drive, or a mod to upgrade to another hard drive (they were ide type anyway) not sata type

Tesla

#10 Post by Tesla »

Thanks tomcat57 I will put it in as soon as my RAM arrives.
Thanks Rob I have emailed Heartland Services for the WWAN card.
I am impressed you guys have saved me a lot of trouble and set my mind at ease. I will update on the results. :spinny:

Return to “CF-31 Talk (Discontinued Model)”