cf-18 mk2 touchscreen restore issues

Post all questions and information about the CF-18 in here.
Driller

cf-18 mk2 touchscreen restore issues

#1 Post by Driller »

purchased a cf-18 DHAZXKM 512mb ram and got the panny restore disc set for this particular model and a LG GP08 portable super multidrive usb y cable 2.0 to use to boot the panny disc with. comes up with error message states cd rom not ready, following file missing or corrupted command.com ,type the name of the file interpreter,eg. C:\windows\command.com, then A: also have cf-18BHAZXKM 768mb with 40gb hdd and caddy. switched it into the cf-18 mk2 model while waiting for new caddy to come in and new restore disc for the mk1 model. put the hdd/caddy back into the mk1 model with the mk2 restore disc and booted and got message incorrect disc for this model. that tells me the cd/dvd should be working. the lg gp08 cd/dvd drive says requirements were cpu P.IV 2.4ghz or higher, ram 256mb, hdd20gb, directx9.0 or higher interface usb2.0(480mb/s). the cf-18 mk2 has all the buttons for the wireless next to the power switch and it lights up, it boots to bios fine but just can't load the mk2 restore disc to it. Any ideas guys? do I not have the right cd/dvd drive or the wrong disc set for the mk2 that should be for a wwan or gps or whatever. any other suggestions for getting the OS onto the hdd other than the usb drive that may work. Oh , I did set the boot order in bios for boot to usb cd/dvd drive at the top of the list and f10'd it. point me in the right direction........Driller

tomcat57

Re: cf-18 mk2 touchscreen restore issues

#2 Post by tomcat57 »

The 3 disk restore cd set for your mk-2 touchscreen should have the part # DFQX3799MA
Try using the second usb port , and fuss with timing incerting the disk on boot up ect
At worst you should see the mesage machine not support

Driller

#3 Post by Driller »

the p/n is DFQX3799MA1 this is for mk2 -xp1am-tsw, the cd/dvd uses a Y cable that hooks up to both usb ports, I presume one to power and the other to make usb connection. have not yet tried switching the usb hookups , that may be the issue and maybe I just put them in the other machine in the correct order, but nothing was mentioned as to any particular order in which to place them. will give it a try. thanks............Driller

tomcat57

#4 Post by tomcat57 »

Cap had an issue loading a cf-18 (his usb drive was not compatable)
You have the right disks for your model

Driller

#5 Post by Driller »

I thought that the compatibility issue may be the problem with the cd/dvd drive. will check to see if I can find another drive that might work better. the LG may work on the acer that I have, that I never use, did switch the cables around and that didn't fix , did say in the fine print that I may have to switch the powering on order to get it do be recognized since it does not have a power on switch, but when there is no OS installed whats to recognize? will check this out later today, thanks,.......Driller

Driller

#6 Post by Driller »

had no luck with the panny restore disc, so just inserted an oem win xp pro disc into the cd/dvd drive and it is now formatting the 40 gb hdd. am curious as to why the panny disc set wouldn't do this. I know I'm going to have driver issues here and with help will probably get them from the panny website to get things going on this mk2 cf-18. may try another trick first but at least it's doing something. this puzzles me and I wonder if the panny disc set may be defective or if it's just a cd drive issue here. never had any problems with any of the cf-29 setups that I've done yet. but then again they had the panny cd/dvd drive factory specs. will let you know more later.........Driller

Thor

#7 Post by Thor »

Hello. I have had much success restoring several cf-18s's (multiple MK's) using a panasonic CF-VDRRT2 usb cd/dvd drive. This drive works where many other brands failed (were notrecognized). I am by no means an expert, but I think toughbooks are finnicky about the cd/dvd drive used for restore. I have seen many of these drives, along with CF-VDRRT3 (a newer model) for sale on eBay. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Driller

#8 Post by Driller »

just got the sony drx 820U in and hooked it up and installed the OS from the panny restore disc. took'em and updating win xp pro at this moment. got a UGX message, which from the looks this is a mk2 and has the wireless buttons on the front left. but the model number is cf-18DHAZXKM and I don't think this shows anything in the configurator. got some other irons in the fire right now and will check into this soon. thanks for the model number on the cd/dvd that is a panasonic. I will check it out as well.........Driller

Return to “CF-18 Talk (Discontinued Model)”