Internal MB Upgrade

Post all questions and information about the CF-29 in here.
liamw652

Internal MB Upgrade

#1 Post by liamw652 »

Guys

I'm guessing all the 29's (MK1 to MK5) cases are all the same dimensions and size.

I am thinking about upgrading the Mk3 MB to a newer Mk5 MB without having to go to the expense of a second computer.

Do you forsee a complication in this or should it be a realitively straight forward swap.
Studying limited pictures, both boards look virtually identical.

Think about this and give me your input please.
Thanks
PLEASE READS and TOUGHBOOK FAQs AND STICKY'S

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthr ... rce+thread

Bill

CF-29 J/MK3 (Fed) w/ Touch, Internal Wifi, and 160gb SATA HD upgraded to 640gb SATA HD (still running strong with mod)
CF-29 M Touch
CF-30 Mk1 Touch
CF-19 Mk3 Touch

denrosten

Re: Internal MB Upgrade

#2 Post by denrosten »

I am not sure, but i think the heatsink on the bottom is different, you better check this first.

teo

#3 Post by teo »

liamw652 wrote:Guys

I'm guessing all the 29's (MK1 to MK5) cases are all the same dimensions and size.

I am thinking about upgrading the Mk3 MB to a newer Mk5 MB without having to go to the expense of a second computer.

Do you forsee a complication in this or should it be a realitively straight forward swap.
Studying limited pictures, both boards look virtually identical.

Think about this and give me your input please.
Thanks

liam..., If you are handy enough, I can say you may. First, make sure the motherboard that you are buying is with the sd card reader included but if it is not a concern to you its fine. You ca swap it to the MK3 upper case with no modification remember as I mentioned it is only good enough without the sd card reader. Now! If you want to include the sd card reader you need to cut according to the size lenght of the sd card opening below the PCMCIA area and two threaded hole(not necessarilly threaded) for screws. You've got no problem at the backside of the case as it has already an extra slot for USB. Second the buttom case dimensions are all the same, heatpipe same but aluminum block heatsink element is not and it has extra element for two block of coil for the mbo component. Try to look for distress buttom case of MK4 or MK5 and take out those accessories and install. I guess somebody here can provide you with those buttom case with cracked surface or dent that is ready to toss out on the landfil, Lol. I already done this but my buttom case that I used was from MK2. I cut another slot at the backside for USB and also for sd card on PCMCIA area. Good luck.

teo
Last edited by teo on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

liamw652

#4 Post by liamw652 »

Thanks Teo.

I have access to a full machine shop if I need to. I also have a nice selection of tools at hand.

The news on the heat pipe is good to know. Thank You.

Bill

CF-29 J/MK3 (Fed) w/ Touch, Internal Wifi, and 160gb SATA HD upgraded to 640gb SATA HD (still running strong with mod)
CF-29 M Touch
CF-30 Mk1 Touch
CF-19 Mk3 Touch

Azrial

#5 Post by Azrial »

I happen to have a MkV bottom with a crack and the rest of the parts intact... :D
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

liamw652

#6 Post by liamw652 »

Azrial wrote:I happen to have a MkV bottom with a crack and the rest of the parts intact... :D
Please, Please, Please. Talk to me. PM me. Shit, Call Me. lol. I want it, I want it.

Bill

CF-29 M Touch
CF-30 Mk1 Touch
CF-19 Mk3 Touch

interestingfellow

#7 Post by interestingfellow »

How'd that work out ferya?

Gork was kind enough to send me an mk3 mobo (for the mouse connector lock) and i was thinking of throwing it in my mk1.

Not worried about the sd reader, for now, but the mk1 has a ps2 where the mk3 has a usb, in the back.

Return to “CF-29 Talk (Discontinued Model)”