CF-C2 not recognizing new memory

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
Paul

CF-C2 not recognizing new memory

#1 Post by Paul »

Hello!

I just got a deal on an old CF-C2 that is otherwise in reasonably good condition.

It boots fine and everything, but came with the stock 4GB of memory.

I installed known working memory into the computer and it doesn't recognize the memory, at all.

I actually tried two different sticks, one was 10600 and the other 12800. In my experience, usually if RAM is installed it either works or the computer doesn't boot, but in this case the computer boots fine but doesn't see any more RAM.

So I'm wondering what I might be missing?
CF-C2CCAZXCM

Paul

Re: CF-C2 not recognizing new memory

#2 Post by Paul »

The installed version of the BIOS is V2.00L15, not the latest.

The installed version of the EC is V2.00L16, but this is a head-scratcher because the latest version available from Panasonic is V2.00L13 [1].

[1] https://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/dl/docs/0 ... &trn_org=2
CF-C2CCAZXCM

Paul

#3 Post by Paul »

Also peculiar, I ran the memory testing tool from the Linux Mint install disk, and it reports two 4GB sticks of RAM, correct sizes, brand everything.
CF-C2CCAZXCM

Paul

#4 Post by Paul »

Okay, so turns out that somebody may have installed some Battery Diagnostic / Control Program update that doesn't appear in the normal searches.

You have to do some digging and the memo for CF-C2 on this page includes the link to the download page:

https://www.pjr.com/industry-updates

(Obviously a customer of Panasonic.)

The instructions state that it will install an EC that matches mine.
CF-C2CCAZXCM

kschewe

#5 Post by kschewe »

Hi
I use a cf-c2. I have used it with 8 and 16g of ram with no issues. It has the stock bios.
There was a factory recall for batteries for this model for fire issues. When i installed windows it auto install a firmware update for the battery. same thing on my cf-s10's

Paul

#6 Post by Paul »

Yeah, at this point the only thing I can think of is some large customer had some customization Panasonic provided that prevented adding a stick of memory, or there is some hardware problem.

Initially I was still waiting for the AC adapter, so since that arrived I ran the BIOS memory diagnostics tool on Full and it passed. I also ran MemTest86, and it recognized the second stick and correctly reports the brand and model number and the test completes without error, and I'm assuming if the second stick were not functioning it would have reported that as an error.

I'm really leaning toward some sort of hardware error, and it is really odd. Not sure what my next step is.
CF-C2CCAZXCM

Paul

#7 Post by Paul »

Yep, definitely problem with the motherboard. I pulled apart an old USFF desktop and replaced the memory with my 4GB "upgrade" SODIMM and when I run dmidecode, it reports the empty slot as Form Factor: SODIMM, but the CF-C2 reports the upgrade slot, whether empty or occupied, as DIMM (the inaccessible slot is reported as SODIMM).
CF-C2CCAZXCM

kschewe

#8 Post by kschewe »

You can find replacement motherboards. I bought a parts machine a while back for the touchscreen, fully working but missing the keyboard. I wanted the digitizer version screen. ebay is your best bet.

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”