GOBI 2000 w/GPS is coming...

Post all Toughbook news and upcomming info here.
redwoman

GOBI 2000 w/GPS is coming...

#1 Post by redwoman »

It appears that there is going to be two GPS options. A stand alone embedded GPS reciever, and GPS on the GOBI 2000 card for the fully rugged line. But now that the GOBI card will have GPS models like the 52 and new F9 that previously did not offer embedded GPS will now be able to offer GPS capabilities. :boing:
Attachments
gobi00.JPG
gobi00.JPG (33.44 KiB) Viewed 13840 times
gobi01.JPG
gobi01.JPG (45.89 KiB) Viewed 13843 times
gobi02.JPG
gobi02.JPG (53.99 KiB) Viewed 13838 times
gobi03.JPG
gobi03.JPG (37.13 KiB) Viewed 13838 times
gobi04.JPG
gobi04.JPG (39.9 KiB) Viewed 13841 times
"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” ~Frank Sinatra~

redwoman

Re: GOBI 2000 w/GPS is coming...

#2 Post by redwoman »

UPDATE: GOBI 1000 users will be seeing a firmware update coming for HSUPA. Once ATT has updated thier network, they will allow HSUPA 5.6mps and the firmware update will allow the GOBI 1000 card to take advantage of this new speed. This feature will ship standard on GOBI 2000 modems.
"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” ~Frank Sinatra~

toyo

#3 Post by toyo »

I wonder where Verizon will come into play with the Gobi 1000 and the update?

redwoman

#4 Post by redwoman »

toyo wrote:I wonder where Verizon will come into play with the Gobi 1000 and the update?
can you expand on what you mean?

There is nothing for Verizon to offer a firmware update on the GOBI 1000 card. Verizon's plan for 4G is LTE which will require a different modem.

Silver Trooper

#5 Post by Silver Trooper »

According to the article I read today, a true 4G system (that is able to perform up to its potential), is years away. The infrastructure necessary to support it is going to cost billions and none of the wireless companies are in any hurry to spend the cash. AT&T and Verizon have both said they will concentrate on the current 3G systems and do upgrades to achieve higher rates of transmission.
One CF-52, four CF-18's, 4.5 CF-28's, one CF-29, five CF-M34's, two CF-37's, one CF-P2 and two CF-P1's. There are also two Getac A320T's, one Fieldpac and two IBM Transnotes. Not to mention the AMD 5600 CPU with three monitors and several HP PDA's. Whew! Must quit buying...no, must have MORE! Then there are the weapons...

Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

canuckcam

#6 Post by canuckcam »

... sucks for us on 21mbps HSPA networks as the new Gobi doesn't support those speeds. Yes, theoretical top speeds but I've hit 10mbps before on Telus (Canada) with a Sierra Wireless 306.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#7 Post by Rob »

I've been pretty happy for the last 6 years with my 3MB sprint EVDO card... Yes, true 4G is VERY VERY far away (I'd say at least 10 years). This new "4G" "Clear" sucks ass... it isn't reliable at all!
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

tango

#8 Post by tango »

Any one know that if there is new CSA and VZA which support the GOBI2000 in the CF-30?
I've try to install it in my CF-30mk2 with no luck ! any suggestion is welcome.
thanks!
Attachments
gobi2ks.jpg
gobi2ks.jpg (127.64 KiB) Viewed 13638 times
CF-19 mk2 Dig + GPS + HSDPA + ( additional Caddy and HD )
CF-30 mk2 TS +WWAN+Smart Card Reader+Emissive Backlite KB+GPS+Finger Print Reader+( additional Caddy and HD ) 2 set
CF-29 mk3 TS + GPS + ( additional Caddy and HD )
CF-29 mk3 TS ( Install CPS to prog. the Motorola Radio )
CF-18 mk2 TS ( Install CPS to prog. the Motorola Radio outdoor )

redwoman

#9 Post by redwoman »

Silver Trooper wrote:According to the article I read today, a true 4G system (that is able to perform up to its potential), is years away. The infrastructure necessary to support it is going to cost billions and none of the wireless companies are in any hurry to spend the cash. AT&T and Verizon have both said they will concentrate on the current 3G systems and do upgrades to achieve higher rates of transmission.
Do you have a link? I'd be interested in reading this as Verizon has told me they are going LTE for 4G and will be rolling out late 2010 and early 2011

redwoman

#10 Post by redwoman »

canuckcam wrote:... sucks for us on 21mbps HSPA networks as the new Gobi doesn't support those speeds. Yes, theoretical top speeds but I've hit 10mbps before on Telus (Canada) with a Sierra Wireless 306.

Its not that GOBI does not support that speed, because it does. ATT had Qualcomm limit the speed. THey are just now allowing us the open the HSUPA speed which will be in the upgrade.

Return to “Toughbook News and Upcoming Info”