A quest, get the CF-19 front keys working!

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
kode-niner

Re: A quest, get the CF-19 front keys working!

#31 Post by kode-niner »

If you run the install script again, does it say "The panasonic_hbtn module is already installed." ?

or does this return anything:

Code: Select all

lsmod|grep panasonic_hbtn
Daily drives a CF-31

EdFromBJCS

#32 Post by EdFromBJCS »

navigated to "/home/ed/panasonic-hbtn" and ran sudo ./install.sh

It installed and then asked if I wanted to overwrite '/usr/local/bin/rotate'

I typed the letter y and hit enter. Now acpi_listen returns stuff for all the buttons. I could have sworn I ran the install script before, but I guess I didn't. Oops.

Here's a screenshot of me trying to assign the button. I was not successful. 99% sure I did it very incorrectly.
Screenshot_2016-06-20_12-06-51.png
Screenshot_2016-06-20_12-06-51.png (128.9 KiB) Viewed 25071 times
The terminal at the bottom shows the acpi_listen output for the rotate button.

kode-niner

#33 Post by kode-niner »

I'm not sure if the Property field should be just XF86RotateWindows without the /commands/ path. Honestly I've rarely used the xfce settings editor.

instead of acpi_listen, try

xev
in a terminal then hit the rotate button. It should output several lines, though we are looking for something that looks like this:

state 0x0, keycode 161 (keysm 0x1008ff74, XF86RotateWindows), same_screen Y
which would confirm the button event is assigned the XF86 keyboard symbol.
Daily drives a CF-31

EdFromBJCS

#34 Post by EdFromBJCS »

Just tried xev and the rotate button did not produce an event at all.

So I tried acpi_listen again and now it doesn't have any output either.

What

kode-niner

#35 Post by kode-niner »

A few steps back it is, then. I'd check to see if the module is loaded with

lsmod | grep panasonic_hbtn
If that does nothing, then I'd go for a manual install of the module and check for errors.

cd into the directory where you unzipped the files, then:

make clean
make
insmod panasonic-hbtn.ko
Daily drives a CF-31

EdFromBJCS

#36 Post by EdFromBJCS »

kode-niner wrote:
A few steps back it is, then. I'd check to see if the module is loaded with

lsmod | grep panasonic_hbtn
It did nothing.
kode-niner wrote:If that does nothing, then I'd go for a manual install of the module and check for errors.

cd into the directory where you unzipped the files, then:

make clean
Okay, let's see...

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~/panasonic-hbtn$ sudo make clean
[sudo] password for ed: 
make -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/build M= clean
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
fs/aufs/Makefile:2: fs/aufs/magic.mk: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target 'fs/aufs/magic.mk'.  Stop.
scripts/Makefile.clean:86: recipe for target 'fs/aufs' failed
make[2]: *** [fs/aufs] Error 2
Makefile:1202: recipe for target '_clean_fs' failed
make[1]: *** [_clean_fs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
Makefile:6: recipe for target 'clean' failed
make: *** [clean] Error 2
ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~/panasonic-hbtn$ 
That doesn't look right but I'm just gonna keep going and pretend everything is fine.
kode-niner wrote:

make
tra-la-la...

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~/panasonic-hbtn$ sudo make
make -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/build M= modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/x86/entry/syscalls/syscall_32.tbl', needed by 'arch/x86/entry/syscalls/../../include/generated/asm/syscalls_32.h'.  Stop.
arch/x86/Makefile:199: recipe for target 'archheaders' failed
make[1]: *** [archheaders] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
Makefile:4: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
:spinny:
kode-niner wrote:

insmod panasonic-hbtn.ko
:spinny:

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~/panasonic-hbtn$ sudo insmod panasonic-hbtn.ko
:help:

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ lsmod | grep panasonic_hbtn
panasonic_hbtn         16384  0
sparse_keymap          16384  2 panasonic_laptop,panasonic_hbtn
ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ 
wait what

kode-niner

#37 Post by kode-niner »

Looks like some kernel 4.4 funkiness. Unfortunately I haven't migrated to that yet on any of my systems so I can't test anything at the moment. I am guessing that aufs support ain't right. Welcome to the bleeding edge!

Does your package manager have any variations of linux-headers-4.4.0-21-* as available downloads?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-cache search linux-headers
I know at this point that this could be annoying to try to fix and may go beyond your level of patience as each thing we try or fix brings up other obstacles. Personally I am used to this kind of stuff but don't worry if you want to quit now and do something more important with your life.

I'll be here if you want more help, though.
Last edited by kode-niner on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily drives a CF-31

EdFromBJCS

#38 Post by EdFromBJCS »

kode-niner wrote:Looks like some kernel 4.4 funkiness. Unfortunately I haven't migrated to that yet on any of my systems so I can't test anything at the moment. I am guessing that aufs support ain't right. Welcome to the bleeding edge!

Does your package manager have any variations of linux-headers-4.4.0-21-* as available downloads?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-cache search linux-headers
I know at this point that this could be annoying to try to fix and may go beyond your level of patience as each thing we try or fix brings up other obstacles. Personally I am used to this kind of stuff but don't worry if you want to quit now and do something more important with your life.

This is kind of like that other CF-19 thread where Karl Klammer was trying to port navit to OpenBSD.

I'll be here if you want more help, though.
I'm down to work on this as long as people are willing to help me. I'm hoping to write a tutorial and make a video once I get it figured out. The harder it is to do, the more useful the tutorial will be.

I ran apt-get update then apt-cache search linux-headers and got this:

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ sudo apt-cache search linux-headers
linux-headers-4.4.0-21 - Header files related to Linux kernel version 4.4.0
linux-headers-generic - Generic Linux kernel headers
linux-headers-generic-lts-utopic - Generic Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid - Generic Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-generic-lts-wily - Generic Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-generic-lts-xenial - Generic Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-lowlatency - lowlatency Linux kernel headers
linux-headers-lowlatency-lts-utopic - lowlatency Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-lowlatency-lts-vivid - lowlatency Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-lowlatency-lts-wily - lowlatency Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-lowlatency-lts-xenial - lowlatency Linux kernel headers (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-virtual - Transitional package.
linux-headers-virtual-lts-utopic - Transitional package. (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-virtual-lts-vivid - Transitional package. (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-virtual-lts-wily - Transitional package. (dummy transitional package)
linux-headers-virtual-lts-xenial - Transitional package. (dummy transitional package)
linux-libc-dev - Linux Kernel Headers for development
linux-libc-dev-arm64-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-armhf-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-powerpc-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-ppc64el-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-source-4.4.0 - Linux kernel source for version 4.4.0 with Ubuntu patches
linux-virtual - Minimal Generic Linux kernel and headers
linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic - Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
linux-headers-4.4.0-21-lowlatency - Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
linux-libc-dev-alpha-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-armel-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-hppa-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-m68k-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-mips-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-mips64-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-mips64el-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-mipsel-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-powerpcspe-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-ppc64-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-s390x-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-sh4-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-libc-dev-sparc64-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
linux-headers-3.4.0-4-goldfish - Linux kernel headers for version 3.4.0 on Android touch emulation
linux-headers-goldfish - Linux kernel headers for the goldfish kernel.
linux-headers-4.4.0-22 - Header files related to Linux kernel version 4.4.0
linux-headers-4.4.0-24 - Header files related to Linux kernel version 4.4.0
linux-headers-4.4.0-22-generic - Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
linux-headers-4.4.0-22-lowlatency - Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
linux-headers-4.4.0-24-generic - Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
linux-headers-4.4.0-24-lowlatency - Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ 
Anything promising there?

kode-niner

#39 Post by kode-niner »

Good man.
And we are masochists.

Need to be sure of your kernel version

uname -a
Also, does this file exist?

ls /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/version.h
And is linux-libc-dev installed:

dpkg --list  linux-libc-dev
And what version of gcc

dpkg --list  gcc
Daily drives a CF-31

EdFromBJCS

#40 Post by EdFromBJCS »

kode-niner wrote: And we are masochists.
I'm looking forward to the part where I have to start over from scratch to make the video.

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ uname -a
Linux ed-CF-18KHHMXBM 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:34:49 UTC 2016 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ ls /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/version.h
ls: cannot access '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic/include/linux/version.h': No such file or directory

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ dpkg --list  linux-libc-dev
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-================================================================
ii  linux-libc-dev:i386           4.4.0-24.43         i386                Linux Kernel Headers for development

ed@ed-CF-18KHHMXBM:~$ dpkg --list  gcc
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-================================================================
ii  gcc                           4:5.3.1-1ubuntu1    i386                GNU C compiler

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”