OS X

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Azrial

Re: OS X

#21 Post by Azrial »

Shawn wrote:Well it works except no wifi..seems OS X is picky about cards...And so is the CF52..so the challenge is to find one that works on both...
So, as a short term solution, how about a USB Wi-Fi dongle with Mac Support?
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Shawn

#22 Post by Shawn »

Even the dongle choice is very limited....I was thinking the same thing though..
I would really like to get wifi on this thing....
I considered an Airport pcmcia...But it seems Apple OS's are not very backward compatible. They support the current hardware in the current machine when the software is released.

I walked away from it for a bit..This extreme cold weather has been really exhausting me...
Having difficulty focusing my thoughts again..I guess I'm not as recovered from the stroke as I thought I was.
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#23 Post by Bill_TN »

If you are just interested in the mac GUI then I might suggest LXLE , Zorin , Macpup, and Elementary. All of them have either a mac type GUI selection or can be tweaked to look like mac. I've been running LXLE on my 74 for a long time now with absolutely no issues. However have yet to try it on the 74 that I recently recieved, with a functioning touch screen. All are Linux and quite decent OS's. The only issue I have run across was with my 28. It seems that the touch is out of cal and off to the left by 1/2 inch from point of contact and cursor location.
Going have to try mac on one of the 74's myself soon.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Shawn

#24 Post by Shawn »

I did try Zorin with the Mac look..That's Ok but.........It's not the same.
There is something more than just the look of OS X...Linux made to look like OS X still "thinks" and operates like Linux.
There is something about OS X..It seems, I don't know, smoother, more intuitive? More professional and finished maybe.
I gave up for now anyway..
On a CF52 with the BIOS whitelist for WIFI cards, I hit a wall trying to get it online.
The CF74 should be easier..You should be able to use a Broadcom card in that. Broadcom is much more compatible with OS X.
I set up a SSD to dual boot, Windows7 and Zorin Ultimate..Tinkering with that currently.

Need to figure how to EASILY edit the grub menu...I really don't want to learn any more command line stuff..I did that 30years ago with DOS..

SHEEPMAN!

#25 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Maybe kodeniner will write a grub lite version. :D
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Bill_TN

#26 Post by Bill_TN »

Editing a grub menu is actually easy. I'll have to find the info again. Also try these. http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

Shawn

#27 Post by Shawn »

I found grub-customizer. Installing was a "challenge" but I got it.....
The whole terminal to install stuff seems very 1986 to me...

http://lifehacker.com/5760551/grub-cust ... -boot-menu

Bill_TN

#28 Post by Bill_TN »

I've actually found the linux way easier than dos ever was. lol. But haven't writen code since 1985 so I'd imagine that anything would be easier than back then.

Shawn

#29 Post by Shawn »

Linux terminal "may" be easier than DOS...

But compared to click icon to download, then click download file to install it seems less than ideal.
The constant need for a password to do anything reminds me of Vista permissions..and at first it would not install because of some "trusted" issue.

Linux is a decent and is a very useable OS, but to me it seems a bit distant from the final fit and finish that Windows, OS X, or even Android has.

Maybe I need to try a premium version of Linux...

mklym

#30 Post by mklym »

Nothing good comes easy. :)
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”