OS X

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Shawn

OS X

#1 Post by Shawn »

Not really Linux, but it's a kissing cousin...
Installing from a usb stick using something called Niresh....

12 minutes to go to finish the install on a CF52G.
Need to use a blank hard drive. Then had to partition the drive once the usb stick boots to the gui..
Life will beat you into submission.

Shawn

Re: OS X

#2 Post by Shawn »

Well it works except no wifi..seems OS X is picky about cards...And so is the CF52..so the challenge is to find one that works on both.

Something a tad odd. The touchpad is wacky...Whats odd is that it worked fine with the usb boot and installer just not the finished os from the hd. usb mouse works fine...

oh yeh...the sound volume is low..and it had a minor problem detecting the proper keyboard..

for a while the spacebar worked as the enter key...maybe just a mac thing..
Last edited by Shawn on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mxx20

#3 Post by Mxx20 »

Mac is strange anyways...Linux mint runs good on a Mac book pro...touch pad on itit'd finicky too

SHEEPMAN!

#4 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Mac? Am I missing something?

OSX is a little o.k. Is that where MAC comes in?

Shawn, If you load something other than Mint or Ubuntu....expect a learning curve.

Does that mean don't use it? No way mate. My curve at present is a very a light Linux install that will load from a floppy. Which led to other things. Then the mobo came in...carefully slammed that together..........w00t no password now ..........hours reduced from 26K to 21K. :D

Anyway MXX explain the Mac reference .....I don't have time to look it up. Thanks friend.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

OS X is the Mac operating system..As in Apple /Mac....Ported to work on Intel hardware...Since Macs are closed hardware, hardware options are limited. The OS reports my CF52 as being a Macbook Pro.
I had the extra CF52G and just thought I would try something different.
It seems to be an ok OS. It has the polish of a professionally tuned OS. All the basics are included out of the box.

Something called kexts are hardware related.....I think they are involved with the reported hardware ID. Sort of like a driver inf file.
If I can get wifi to work, I will test it for a while. No wifi and it's not real useful to me.

CliC

#6 Post by CliC »

Cool...a Toughbook hackintosh :)

Mac reference: I presume since OSX is what comes on Macs, and Apple hardware can sometimes be a little "unusual" (i.e., customized by the OEMs for Apple), that the odd touchpad behavior (with OSX on a Toughpad and Mint on a MB Pro) is not unexpected, and perhaps not coincidental.

On a related note, I got an OpenBSD 5.6 snapshot running on my CF30 Mk1. A tough OS for a Toughbook :) I'll try and do a writeup once I finish moving, but the TL;DR version is that all the hardware is recognized (didn't try touchscreen yet though)

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

Unusual is the perfect description...
I'll be waiting for the BSD writeup..

ADOR

#8 Post by ADOR »

I use to have a portable snow leopard bootable usb, as the OS ran on USB. It was one of those can I do it things. Personally I don't really like Mac at all. I guess I have put too much time into learning windows and trying to up my Linux knowledge.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

ADOR

#9 Post by ADOR »

Oh yea what version were you using? You may have to go to a slightly older version to get better hardware compatibility.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Shawn

#10 Post by Shawn »

I "think" it is 10.10.
An older version is a good idea..
I am currently stopped by lack of wifi. I have not figured a way to get it to work.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”