Dual Booting Strategy

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
CliC

Re: Dual Booting Strategy

#11 Post by CliC »

I haven't found my ideal strategy yet. Dual-booting always leaves me wanting, when one of the partitions ends up not being big enough, or I want to have one or more of the environments on another machine and don't want to duplicate the setup effort. I haven't even tried to set up a dual-boot on a UEFI/GPT machine, and wouldn't want to think about what dragons there be on that road.

I mostly run VMs nowadays, with my older machines dedicated to one OS or another. That mostly works except when an OS needs certain kinds of direct hardware access (e.g., for gaming, or to do precise color calibration on a graphics card/monitor). I'd love to see virtualization-friendly hardware and advanced hypervisors that let you have fine-grained, secure passthrough of hardware to guests, and allow things like having Intel built-in graphics and a discrete GPU be allocated to different VMs with the ability to hotkey between them. The hypervisor front is making progress (Xen on a laptop would be cool), but the hardware side is mostly stagnant except in the server world.

I'm therefore also looking at setting up a big honking home server that I could then access VMs from remotely. The big drawback of course is that I would need decent low-latency Internet connectivity for that to work from anywhere, but at least I could use just about any client I wanted -- even old Toughbooks :)

Azrial

#12 Post by Azrial »

UNCNDL1 wrote:How rugged is anything? .... I just erased my rant, Best regards, Cleve
ps, do you really still have the mk5cf29? Great little computer :salute:
What rant? You posted a rant and I missed it? I feel gypped!!!! :cheers:

The CF-29 Mk5? Nah, I sold it a few months ago to the Smithsonian as the first documented CF-29 with over 2GB of RAM.... , but yeah, it was a great computer and got me through a lot! I liked it so much I took pictures of it the day I sold it.
CliC wrote:I haven't found my ideal strategy yet. Dual-booting always leaves me wanting, when one of the partitions ends up not being big enough, or I want to have one or more of the environments on another machine and don't want to duplicate the setup effort. I haven't even tried to set up a dual-boot on a UEFI/GPT machine, and wouldn't want to think about what dragons there be on that road.

I mostly run VMs nowadays, with my older machines dedicated to one OS or another. That mostly works except when an OS needs certain kinds of direct hardware access (e.g., for gaming, or to do precise color calibration on a graphics card/monitor)....
I have never been a big VM guy, I usually one as a sandbox for testing, but other then that, I have never had a personal use for it.
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

SHEEPMAN!

#13 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I have several things going on so don't have time for straegity.. (sic)
1. Like the water thief. Drained the fire truck fill tank in my yard.
2. Like a drought. See #1.
3. Like despite #1 and #2 the sheep must be watered.

So.....
1. Load your M$ product if you MUST have it......either habit or necessity. IOW if you NEED M$ for business...fine. I have no problem with that.
2. Do all necessary updates.
3. Load /install some sort of 'ix and let it do the work of formatting.

This is a rant:
1. Drivers do not cure all ills. Proper installs do on most.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: Rob...turn this guy around please. Left hand salutes are rude. No respect. :)
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

kode-niner

#14 Post by kode-niner »

Water thief? What in blue blazes....
Daily drives a CF-31

SHEEPMAN!

#15 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Surprised the shite out of me to walk to a valve that was left opened....with +1000 GALLONS MISSING. Oops cap lock but I will leave it.

IOW...watering weed is more important than fire protection.

Freaking moron...if he closed the valve I wouldn't have noticed and the tank (spring fed) may have recovered a little. Near-by school district lost 20,000 gallons.

Weed trumps fire protection??????

Head shake here. Another case of no respect.

J'd
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”