CF-52 Mk1 LCD to a MK2 Unit

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
RDJacob

CF-52 Mk1 LCD to a MK2 Unit

#1 Post by RDJacob »

Hey guys,

So I have this screen that was in a 52 Mk1 and I'm trying to get it to work with a mk2. Every time I hook the LCD up into the MK2, I get this fuzzy grey screen. When it's in the MK1 it displays perfectly. Anyone have any clues as to why this would be?

mklym

Re: CF-52 Mk1 LCD to a MK2 Unit

#2 Post by mklym »

Are you using the same cable on the LCD for both MK1 and MK2? I woud suspect the cable on the MK2.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

RDJacob

#3 Post by RDJacob »

Yea, I'm suspecting the cable as well. The only differences I'm seeing in the two LCD set ups are the cables going from the MOBO to the inverter.

Both sets of inverter cables have 6 wires with the same length, except the MK1 set has 3 black wires while the MK2 has two blacks and two whites. I don't know the whole deal with which wires are which, but would that make any difference? I'm thinking there is an issue with not enough power going to the screen.

RDJacob

#4 Post by RDJacob »

So i screwed up, it's not a mk1 screen in a mk2, it's a mk1 screen in a mk3.

Figured out what the issue was. MK1 is WXGA, while the MK3 is a WUXGA. Now I'm trying to locate some type of "dip switch" to make the mk3 compatible with the mk1 screen. Wish me luck, haha.

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

wuxga to wxga won't work. check the resolution. it has to be the same. when did the cf52 start using led? mk3 or mk4?
Life will beat you into submission.

RDJacob

#6 Post by RDJacob »

Yea, I'm coming to that conclusion as well. No matter what I do the WXGA screen won't do a thing in the WUXGA unit.

LED's? I have no idea, these are all CCFL's that I'm working with. I know because I must have opened at least 3 of em, haha. I did see a mk1 with LEDs, but it wasnt an OEM screen.

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

The resolution (wuxga or wxga) is set in the BIOS. Bios hacking is required to do the swap. Some CF52's have led backlights from Panasonic. Mk3 or mk4 not sure which. They have a different inverter.

RDJacob

#8 Post by RDJacob »

So...if I flash the WUXGA BIOS with a BIOS file from a WXGA model, it could work?

Please, GIVE ME HOPE! lol

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#9 Post by toughasnails »

RDJacob wrote:So...if I flash the WUXGA BIOS.....
What you are trying to do is turn a apple into a orange = 52 door stopper :pat: . Maybe you should check to see what you have for onboard video, are both MK's the same ?....just thinking
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

Shawn

#10 Post by Shawn »

Flashing the bios...,.nope...the wuxga have a separate ATI video. The wxga use the integrated Intel. You would make a doorstop. Ohlip or Onakriss has done it, but they hacked the bios file and reinstalled it.
I tried to do the screen swap about 2 months ago. Total fail. I had to get a lcd of the same resolution. Different marks are okay as long as it's not led backlit

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”