Touch screen trouble, help

Post all questions and information about the CF-18 in here.
phido

Touch screen trouble, help

#1 Post by phido »

Hey guys
It looks like I may be on the way to a Tough book addiction and as fellow TB junkies
I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I acquired my second Tough book a few
Days ago, a truly pristine CF 18 Mk5 (cf-18 NHHZXBM) with only 300 hours, GPS and touch
Screen, 1024 mb mem with Linux loaded. The touch screen and GPS did not work with the Linux but
Everything else SEEMED to work ok, so when I got it home I restored Windows with the factory restore
Disks and installed all updates including SP3 from MS.
Well after many hours this is where I am at 1: it seems a little slow but I guess that is to be expected.
2: the touch screen does not work, it sometimes reacts to being touched and using the touch screen
Test it did move the red + around but that’s it. I did apply the two reg patches for the touch screen
And GPS. 3: the touch pad works but is VERY sensitive, often making false clicks.
A word of warning, I know enough about computers to be dangerous BUT I an
A total Tough book NUBEE and any help would greatly appreciate.
TNX Jim

Springfield

Re: Touch screen trouble, help

#2 Post by Springfield »

Hi Jim!

The touchscreen sounds like it is failing, a common problem I'm sorry to say. Later models CF-18 and CF-29, and early CF-19 have touchscreens that often fail. You can replace it with aftermarket or maybe see if member Sadlmkr (Jeff) can repair it.

The GPS should be putting out NMEA text at 4800 baud on COM3. Try downloading a GPS utility like WinFast Navigator and see if it is putting out data. That GPS may take several minutes under an open sky to get a good fix.

Recently I worked on a late mode CF-18 that is running slow. I wonder if one of the recent MS updates causes issues with CF-18's? I've done it before months ago without any issues, but possibly a recent update is not compatible? Just a hunch ...
ToughBooks: CF-74 73 53 52 51 31 30 29 28 27 25 19 18 08 07 C1 C2 F9 H1 M32 M33 M34 R2 S10 T8 T5 T4 T2 U1 W2 Y2 VDW07 PDRC ...
GoBooks: VR-2, XR-1, IX-260+, IX-350

phido

#3 Post by phido »

Springfield wrote:Hi Jim!

The touchscreen sounds like it is failing, a common problem I'm sorry to say. Later models CF-18 and CF-29, and early CF-19 have touchscreens that often fail. You can replace it with aftermarket or maybe see if member Sadlmkr (Jeff) can repair it.

The GPS should be putting out NMEA text at 4800 baud on COM3. Try downloading a GPS utility like WinFast Navigator and see if it is putting out data. That GPS may take several minutes under an open sky to get a good fix.

Recently I worked on a late mode CF-18 that is running slow. I wonder if one of the recent MS updates causes issues with CF-18's? I've done it before months ago without any issues, but possibly a recent update is not compatible? Just a hunch ...
You know I was afraid you were going to say that the screen may be failing and that is a bummer but something I can live without, otherwise it seems
it seems to work great. The GPS works fine, I use it with MS Streets and trips. Do you have any idea why the touch pad is so sensitive the false clicks are a pain?
One final question: What do I tell wife when she asks why I need so many computers?????

wyrm73

#4 Post by wyrm73 »

phido wrote:One final question: What do I tell wife when she asks why I need so many computers?????
If you figure this one out, please share with the rest of us. We just live in the dog house perpetually.

(Yes, pun intentional :P )

Return to “CF-18 Talk (Discontinued Model)”