At Paul's (ador)request Ubuntu 13.04 etc.

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
SHEEPMAN!

At Paul's (ador)request Ubuntu 13.04 etc.

#1 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

R'cvd Mark 3 CF-30 via UPS @ 1600 hours.

HDD was blank so installed XPP factory restore with absolutely NO issues. Speaks for the factory restore technique. 5100 wireless btw. Added avast virus protector which installs google chrome by default.
Fixed a water line to the house....ahh pressure.
Fed the sheep.
Fed the dogs.
Fed myself. Chicken and gravy over rice, while Ubuntu 13.04 was installing dual boot. I let Ubuntu figure out the partitions. IOW install XPP or W7 and then Ubuntu.

When Ubuntu finished I added calibrate_touchscreen, Chromium and Gnome shell desktop. I prefer 12.04LTS but I could get used to this.

O.K. for calibrate........
When ya run it a terminal pops up with the numbers to be placed into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf. (case sensitive)
Doesn't work....never has, 'cause there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory. So we make one.
From another terminal we

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d 
Now it works. Short-cut...[ctrl][alt][t] opens a terminal.

So at 2300 I am up dual boot with a program that was released today. Happy Paul? :D

Any questions may be posted annd I will help as I can. (sticky nn key)

Jeff :salute:
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Gear6

Re: At Paul's (ador)request Ubuntu 13.04 etc.

#2 Post by Gear6 »

where's the Like button ??
C1mk1&2, CF19mk4, CF30mk1&mk3

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

Gear6 wrote:where's the Like button ??
I like chicken and gravy over rice.. :D..
Did you make enough for everyone?.. :boing:
Life will beat you into submission.

SHEEPMAN!

#4 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

UPDATE:
I DON'T like 13.04 because they eliminated access to features on the Gnome Shell. This is all about making everything look the same...problem is the SAME is a cell phone look.
So I'll go back to 12.04LTS (long term support)
When ya reach a certain age you like what yer used to. My favorite is still 10.10.
Chicken all gone Shawn.

Jeff....I don't like like buttons either.....Thanks Gear6

ADOR

#5 Post by ADOR »

Sadlmkr wrote:UPDATE:
I DON'T like 13.04 because they eliminated access to features on the Gnome Shell. This is all about making everything look the same...problem is the SAME is a cell phone look.
So I'll go back to 12.04LTS (long term support)
When ya reach a certain age you like what yer used to. My favorite is still 10.10.
Chicken all gone Shawn.

Jeff....I don't like like buttons either.....Thanks Gear6
I am starting to think they are wanting to go more and more closed source than open with all the changes they keep doing. Like unity, there because you wanted it. I am like several others "who the hell said that, I don't remember voting" Having unity and other stuff as a option is fine, but when you load what you want and it is partly locked out that just kills the beauty of Linux to begin with.

I loaded 10.10 on another CF-18 a month or two back. Went to update and all the links were just about dead except the option to update to a newer version. I have the offline repositories on disks but couldn't find them in time. 10.10 really got me back more into Linux where I dual booted most of my machines. Maybe it's time to go back and mess with some of the others I use to play with like Mandriva. I still have and use Pendrive linux that is based on Mandriva 2007.1 on a 4 gb flash drive.

Guess I also need to make sure I have a copy of 12.04 just in-case.

I was mainly picking on you Jeff but thank you for the review.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

SHEEPMAN!

#6 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

They're all about Ubuntu 14 and what it will be next year. Saucy Sasparilla or something. In the dialogue I see phones mentioned repeatedly.

I moved to 12.04 on a couple machines but the ones I use like this one...are my special 10.10.

The comment that grates on my nerves is the one where they say "well buy a modern machine if yours is not compatible". What a wasteful form of logic. I have a 37,000 hour CF-29 that runs real nice when used as a tool. I have no argument with the gamers...buy or build a unit. More power to you.

For internet and email the 29's and MK1 30 are just fine. And GPS and a couple other things. Need to run DOS in a (internal) floppie? 29's baby.

Hey Paul, how do you like the telemarketing in Ubuntu Software Center. It's all about marketing. And Amazon is one of the cute buttons.

I truly appreciate the Ubuntu crew and all their work. And they have to make a living. Thanks guys/gals.

I'll stop ranting now....someone might read it.

ADOR

#7 Post by ADOR »

A lot of what has been going on in Linux has been going against what it once was. Free OS for the masses with out anyone looking over your shoulder.

At least I know there is now one less windows 8 pc in the world. We tweaked it, classic shell, etc. The guy still hated it. I carry my windows 7 restore disk with me so off windows 8 went.

I can see I can scratch Mandriva from my list.
Mandriva One
InstantOn
PowerPack

All have been discontinued.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”