CF29 Random BSOD

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
interestingfellow

CF29 Random BSOD

#1 Post by interestingfellow »

Back from the dead! Hello friends, I've missed ya'll.

CF29 mk1 touch, aftermarket gps, 1.2ghz, 1.25gb ram, xp sp3

I recently fired up a sata adapter and hitachi 160 in the caddy,and did it up. Everything was running great for a week or so.
Was listening to music on my 29 this morning, finished cooking breakfast and went to move it. When I picked it up, it just cut off; plugged in and with a charged battery. I figured the plug came out, and the battery contacts were a little grody.
Fired it back up in the living room, and at some point shifted it on the table, dropping the front end an inch or two. It cut off again. I popped the battery and power adapter a few times to try to clean the contacts and fired it back up.
It happened again from the same little drop a few minutes later and cut off. Fired it back up and again, but this time I got a BSOD.
Then i tried to fire it back up, but it had no video or sound, just the indicator lights on the front.
So, starting from the beginning, I popped out the drive, battery, and ram, and systamicly tried each one by itself. It worked each time, so I put it all back together.
Now it's fired back up and running great.

I think it was the ram, but wanted to get some other opinions just to see.

Thanks ya'll! TTYS!

ADOR

Re: CF29 Random BSOD

#2 Post by ADOR »

I think the answer to your problem is in your first sentence. The sata adapter. I never put mine in the unit, I think it was toughasnails that did and he reported errors all the time when it got bumped the wrong way. I think he had to trim some extra padding to get it work better, but in the end he put the IDE drive back into it.

If you go the extra money keep your eyes on the CF-19's and CF-30's. They have been going for a good price here lately. I just upgraded to Mk2's here a few months back.

Welcome back, what have you been up too?

Edit: found it

http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason ... d-use.html

This thread should catch you back up to speed.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

interestingfellow

#3 Post by interestingfellow »

Yis. I had seen about the errors. I know techtuff was working on a newer style adapter that had the ide pins at 90° to stress the sata adapter less, but i had the other ones laying around already.
I dunno if that was my problem or not. I did also remove some padding, and today, reseated the cable/adapter/hdd connections.
I could see he adapter giving me a bsod, but not the power cuttout??? I don't want to just pull the HDD caddy to find out.

I've been ok. I took a salary job with a great company, but the job kept mutating, and I quit. i went back to being just a subcontractor with the company, where i"m only responsible for my own chit. Yeah, much better now back on my own.
I still have that ambulance van, waiting to be put back together. I scooped up some shorty headers, and recently purchased all the crap to do the dual exhaust. I also bought a Lincoln Handy Mig 100 and started (not) welding (I'm starting out with FCAW since wasting gas on learning would be expensive). For the cost of having someone else fab up my exhaust, I could get the welder, do it myself, and still have a basic welder when I'm done. It's been too cold recently, I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit to practice some more.
I'm also pursuing (low cost) DIY EFI for the van, and some future ideas/projects....

Coincidentally, I'm watching the prices on 19's, but with my 29 still doing alright, and other priorities (our washer/dryer are about to crap out)(and I have a driveway full of partially running vehicles), I'm waiting to scoop one up.

TTYS!

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#4 Post by toughasnails »

Yes it was me that was having the same problem, I was using the cool drives sata adapter. I gave up on it and went back to the regular setup. I never had a problem with my 29 untill I put that in. My grand daughter has this now and its still rockin :D Last time I seen it...it had barbie stickers all over it :rolleyes:
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

ambulance boy .....where ya been! just saying i read the above.

if your puter turns out to be more than the above, i have a MK1 lower waiting for your call.

started no caps so meh! left it no caps. :D
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

ADOR

#6 Post by ADOR »

Mega Squirt, cheapest DIY EFI I know of. Can run a 1 cyl to 16 cyl up to 16,000 rpm. The third generation of the systems were out last I checked. Controlled with your laptop. You could even get a kit you had to solder everything on the board from them if they still do it.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... 2_5DKbvR5w
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen

teo

#7 Post by teo »

No further comment on IDE to sata adapter. Just listening.

teo

SHEEPMAN!

#8 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

And there's Teo......where have you been?

Good to hear you.. your avatar says it all.

Jeff
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

ADOR

#9 Post by ADOR »

toughasnails wrote:Yes it was me that was having the same problem, I was using the cool drives sata adapter. I gave up on it and went back to the regular setup. I never had a problem with my 29 untill I put that in. My grand daughter has this now and its still rockin :D Last time I seen it...it had barbie stickers all over it :rolleyes:

One of the Mk3 74's is getting a pink paint job this time home at my daughters request.

Shawn

#10 Post by Shawn »

interestingfellow wrote:Yis. I had seen about the errors. .........
I could see he adapter giving me a bsod,...........
I've been ok. I took a salary job with a great company, but the job kept mutating, and I quit.............
I still have that ambulance van, waiting to be put back together. ..........................
I'm also pursuing (low cost) DIY EFI for the van, and some future ideas/projects....
Good to see you back!
I have experience with those adapters. 6 different ones from a couple different vendors. They are all CRAP, unless you mod them. I still wouldn't trust them. They gave me intermittent problems just sitting on my workbench. Not even in a caddy. I tried a usb to hdd adapter. Still had all sorts of issues.
I understand the job issues. Been there more than once. It surprises me how sane they seem to be at the interview. You never can tell until you work for them for 6 months. My current job is far from ideal, but it's close to home, pay is good, and has great hours. For now, I will tolerate the employer/other employees "quirks". As I get older I try to pick my battles.
Jeff has a thread here with vehicle photos. Buying the welder is a good choice. Flux coated wire works but there is no comparison to using the gas. Flux wire seems to need pretty clean metal to weld decent. I am an oem kind of guy. How tough/expensive to retrofit a GM EFI system? I really like the dependability of oem. Plus you can get parts at any parts store or junkyard.
Life will beat you into submission.

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”