Advice on LapTop for Disabled Gamer

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
Wulfwyn

Advice on LapTop for Disabled Gamer

#1 Post by Wulfwyn »

My wife has MS and in the past year has developed bad epileptic seizures too. between the two conditions, her laptop has been dropped several times. It is now, literally, held together by duct tape, and probably won't last the year.

We have been pointed to Panasonic tough-books but, wow, the price- its rather steep for 2 people on disability. My first thought was to get an old, refurbished one, and upgrade it with the processor and memory from her dying laptop- but I've read that some(all?) of these computers have the processor and memory soldered in, so this wouldn't be an option. Are there any are models where this isn't true?

Her current, dying computer has the following:
4gig ram,
Intel Core™ i5-480M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
600gig HD.

She plays: 2nd life, WoW, Aion, Sims3, probably a couple others I am forgetting.

Most of the refurbished/used toughbooks I am finding online in our price range are only dual core (with less than 2 ghz), , with 1-2gig ram, and much smaller HD's (although they are SSD). Will she have trouble playing the games listed on a toughbook with these details?

I also noticed that at least some of the toughbooks do not have cooling fans; they seem to have some other way to dissipate heat, but I have no idea how their method compares to fans. Will these computers quickly overheat with game play?

ADOR

Re: Advice on LapTop for Disabled Gamer

#2 Post by ADOR »

What laptop does she currently have so we can see what parts you have to work with. I will have to look at specs for sims and aion. I could play WOW on low setting on a CF-29 (intel intergrated graphics) so I know you can turn it down. What type to resolution and frame rates do you want out of it.

For a fully rugged unit and gaming the only way to go is CF-31 with ATI graphics, yep they are pricy I haven't got my own yet. But a cheaper option would be a semi-rugged CF-52 in the used area. You get get one with older ATI card.

Most toughbooks you can't change out the CPU, but there are a few you can. One choice is Mk3 CF-52 with ATI X1300 card, but I will have to see if it would work on the games you want it too.

If you only game at your house you could set up a external monitor, keyboard, mouse and use a external desktop video card. I have one that plugs into a express card slot. It currently runs a 8800gt in it, looking at upgrading it to a new ATI desktop card soon. No need to get a top of the line desktop card in a set up like that because you will be limited to what the data rate of the express card slot is. Vi-dock is one commercial version of it, mine is a Asus XG Station(it was never sold in the usa, and was limited)
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Wulfwyn

#3 Post by Wulfwyn »

Thank you for your help with this!

Her dying computer is a HP pavilion dv7 notebook PC.
Intel core (Quad) i5 CPU M480 @ 2.67Ghz
6GB Ram
64 bit OS
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6550
600GB HD

So if we could upgrade a slower toughbook with her processor/ram that would be great; otherwise, Which Toughbook(s) would give her at least somewhat similar functionality for her games.

She and i do each have desktops (I built them) but she needs something transportable for moving to a different bed/sofa in house for comfort, going to long hospital stays (they're doing lots of tests lately), etc.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#4 Post by Rob »

Consider the CF-52's I have on sale: http://www.toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1200
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

ADOR

#5 Post by ADOR »

You currently have a I5, you will have to get a newer 52 to use the newer DDR3 ram. The hard drive will work in newer toughbook. The SATA speed are usually at slower level than some laptops from the factory. All of the 52's you cannot upgrade the cpu. The older 52's that use the core 2 duo still use DDR2 ram. The best video card in the core 2 duo versions of the 52's is the ATI 3650. The newer toughbooks have made bigger jump up in the video card department.

Cf-52A (MK1) 512mb hd2300 ati

CF-52 ati 3650

CF-52 ati 5650

CF-52 Mk4 ATI 6750

Not all 52's have dedicated graphics, so make sure you are getting the right one if you get one.

I have been told the touch screen versions of the 52 are better for dropped screens because of the wider benzel but that takes a wide screen to a older style box screen. I don't know what her likes are on that.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1245

Here is a thread I am still working on and update as time goes on. It has list of dedicated and third post has the integrated graphic cards. So you can see what you have to work with.

Since you already have that laptop and it is damaged and still working I though about an external case. Not a travel case. For an apple pc one time I seen a rugged aluminum case that the apple laptop locked into. It was thin and strong. Was it on her lap when she dropped it? or was she just moving it to another place.

Here is an example of that case, you can see the laptop locks into it and then the case folds open. May not be the perfect solution but if that laptop is still working and looks like it may work till you can get enough money for another pc. You know your budget best. Still think these cases are touch expensive though. May find the same thing cheaper somewhere else, these are just examples.
http://www.radtech.us/Products/CompuShe ... -Case.aspx
http://www.radtech.us/Products/MacTruck.aspx

Another thing to think about is weight, that is why I though about the 52 model. The 31 model weighs more but is tougher, no wide screen on 31 model.

I see your need to keep portable, There will be a big price difference between the Core 2 duo models and the newer I5 models in the 52 line. I am at work and my internet is limited while here. I don't get home till mid January. As soon as I can I will see how those games will play on core 2 duo with 3650 ati card.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen

Wulfwyn

#6 Post by Wulfwyn »

thank yu for the feedback... I'll keep these in mind to look for further info into.

ADOR

#7 Post by ADOR »

Since Toughbooks have ATI cards I am going to cut out the Nividia cards.

SIMS 3

CPU: (XP) 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent;
(Vista) 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
[If built-in graphics chipsets then 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.]

Video Card Minimum: 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 ( ATI Radeon 9500 or above /
Intel GMA 3-series or above
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , )
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0

ATI Radeon™ series

9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3450, 3650, 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870

WOW: WORLD OF WARCRAFT (older updates only)

Windows System XP/XP64/Vista/Vista64/7 OS (with the latest Service Packs or updates):

* Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz
* ATI Radeon 9500 video card or better

Recommended Specifications

* Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D
* ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better

Minimum System Requirements for mists of pandoria and all updates

Processor
Intel® Pentium® D or Intel Core™ 2 Duo

Video
ATI™ Radeon™ X1600 Pro (256 MB) ATI Radeon HD 2600

Recommended System Specifications

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz,Intel Core i3 or better

Video
ATI Radeon HD 4830 (512 MB) or better
ATI Radeon HD 5670 or better

2nd life

Not sure found lots of conflicting info
Looks like a good dual core and in the ATI department at least 4850.

Aion

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System : Windows XP SP2/ Vista/ Windows 7
Processor : 2.8GHz CPU or equivalent
RAM : 1GB RAM
Video Card : ATI Radeon x700 with 128MB RAM or higher

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System : Windows XP SP2/ Vista/ Windows 7
Processor : Dual Core CPU 2.0GHz or equivalent
RAM : 2GB RAM
Video Card : ATI Radeon x800 with 256MB or higher

Sims 3, WOW and Aion
It looks like you can get by with turning the graphics down some on a CF-52 with 2.4 core 2 duo, 4gb ddr 2 ram and ATI 3650. This will be your cheapest option. It shows a 4850 with 2nd life and seen reports that it was a real system labor intensive game. I have never played it personally so I can't say.

Sim3, Wow, 2nd life and Aion

A CF-52 with I core processor and ATI 5650 or 6750 you should be able to play it all on high. You will have to look around on prices. This also goes to the CF-31 with ATI graphics. With the 31 the max resolution is still your standard desktop resolution.

Wulfwyn

#8 Post by Wulfwyn »

Thank you for compiling all this; great help!

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”