Linux boat navigation OS

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
mklym

Re: Linux boat navigation OS

#61 Post by mklym »

Thanks for the headsup on the new version of Navigatrix0.5 Cleve.
Installed onto an 80GB Intel ssd in my CF-19MK4 with no problems.
Followed your thread, over on the Navigatrux support site, about making touchscreen calibration stick.
All is good. Seems fairly snappy. Thanks again.
The previous version of Navigatrix runs well on my CF-29MK4, as well as on this CF-19MK4.
I might try the new version on the CF-29MK4. I'll decide later.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

UNCNDL1

#62 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Morgan, have not tried to see what is different yet. Loads on this 18 well and configured gpsd to your note regarding /dev/ttyS5 and she finds my location right away after rebooting.
Attachments
opncpn screenshot of maps loaded for surrounding area
opncpn screenshot of maps loaded for surrounding area
2014-09-11_202041_1024x768.png (316 KiB) Viewed 36081 times
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

UNCNDL1

#63 Post by UNCNDL1 »

The newest version (June 2015) of navigatrix is out and can be found here:
http://www.navigatrix.net/
A great way to start with this is to download the operating system from their download sites:
http://www.navigatrix.net/download.php? ... b7c078b897
It's free to register for the site, which allows you to download the system and to post to the forums (support).
I downloaded and made a bootable usb. A neat trick is to add "Persistency" to your bootable copy on the usb.
While booting up your new copy of Navigatrix, once it loads you will see choices at the bottom of screen. I chose F1, which took me to a menu of options. I scrollled down and choose "Persistency" and hit enter, system will reboot and then at the bottom of the screen will read: " creating persistence on root medium..."
Rule of thumb from their documentation is to choose 1 GB persistency for a 4 GB stick, 2 GB persistency for a 8 GB stick, 4 GB persistency for a 16 GB stick. It will take a few minutes once you choose your persistence and hit enter. While that is working, you'll have time to grab a snack and drink. The system will re-boot when finished. Now you have a bootable portable linux operating system that will save changes to your usb drive as you make them. If you do NOT have any charts to put into your system to run, you can navigate to this site for maps and downloads: http://campus.sailoog.com/mod/page/view.php?id=158
Note, these downloads referenced may be illegal in certain countries.
At any rate, here is the newest version of a great little system that is designed by boating people for boating people.
Cheers
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

Bill_TN

#64 Post by Bill_TN »

Hmmmnnn. Going to have to read this thread now. Interesting.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”