Good News and Bad News and Worse News....

Post all questions and information about the CF-29 in here.
Grim

Good News and Bad News and Worse News....

#1 Post by Grim »

First the good news... I am posting this from my CF-29MKV, everything hardware wise is working great :boing: :D :headbang:

Now the bad news... Most of my software requires Win XP Pro SP3, and I cannot find ANYWHERE to download the update for SP3... :pat: :damnit: :wtf:

The worse news... I cannot seem to install ANY programs... everytime I do it gets all the way to the end and then I get the message Set-Up was unsuccessful... :mad: :doh:

Anyone have ANY idea what is going on?

I have a copy of Win XP Pro SP3, if I install it, what is the list for installing the drivers for it? Or does anyone know where I can download it from... other than these issues this computer is running great. :help:

Jerry

ADOR

Re: Good News and Bad News and Worse News....

#2 Post by ADOR »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389#method2

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Wind ... 90061.html

Normally this is done though online updates, But you can install it offline, just look for the "offline manual installer" there are several sites that have archives of all the hotfixes too. If you have need for just one you can get just the one you want with out having to install everything.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Grim

#3 Post by Grim »

I tried those, but it tells me that "It is not a valid win32 application"
Also it is telling me the automatic update software is not installed... SO automatic update is not working either. /sigh this puter and I are not starting out on the right path...

ADOR

#4 Post by ADOR »

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-M-and-Edg ... td-p/21973

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Also read where installing it in safe mode would work on a little google research.

Also you do already have XP SP2? SP2 has to be on there before SP3 can install. If this doesn't work We will try something else.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen

Grim

#5 Post by Grim »

Ok.. after 17hrs of research, I found out the automatic updater .dll was not installed correctly. I fixed it and now has updated to SP3, and all the updates. Thanks for everyones helpon this.

Now here is a question for the owners of the MKV's. I upgraded to 1.5GB Ram, but it seems that my machine seems to still run, slow.. realy slow at times... is this normal? Times it runs quick and other times its seems super slow. I know its a 1.6GHz Celeron, and not my i7. Is there a way to upgrade to 2.5GB Ram?

Also any recommendations to look into for the following.
Upgrading the Wifi, is it worth it?
Installing UBlox-6 or OEM GPS? I know the OEM slides in bove the battery. I do need reliable GPS in an area that gets spotty GPS coverage at times, and is the UBlox-6 really difficult to install? it doesnt appear so, anyone here done it?
Emissive Backlit Keyboard

Also, what do you recommend to clean the Touch Screen? It seems to work everynow and then.. but not regularly.

Thanks again for ll the help, I am really starting to like this computer.... Now its time to install the new DVD-RW/CD-RW Lightscribe Drive... This should be interesting lol..

Jerry

ADOR

#6 Post by ADOR »

It looks like it's time to start tweaking the OS some. How many processes are running normally?

Grim

#7 Post by Grim »

ADOR wrote:It looks like it's time to start tweaking the OS some. How many processes are running normally?
It seems that there is between 44-50

Here is a screen shot of the processes:
[img]
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (67.87 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (78.91 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (131.83 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
[/img]

This is only with Firefox running.

Thanks for the reply.

Jerry

ADOR

#8 Post by ADOR »

Places to start. Blackvipers site, ccleaner lets you edit startup items and is free. I never used the handwriting utility that is loaded by default so I just disabled it, etc just look at what loads at start up. Then it goes all the way to replacing explorer.exe with an alternative shell. Tweak UI progam, pcmcia flash drive for ready boost style programs or setting page file there (133 mb/sec bandwidth). It just depends on how far you want to go. Also look for lighter weight programs alternatives. I got where I no longer use adobe. It has become very bloated. I now use FOXIT pdf reader. Nitro pdf reader was better than adobe too but I haven't used it in a while to know how it is now.

Return to “CF-29 Talk (Discontinued Model)”