Another CF-18 Touchscreen problem

Post all questions and information about the CF-18 in here.
orphanlr

Another CF-18 Touchscreen problem

#1 Post by orphanlr »

I’m having a problem with two of my CF-18s

A few months ago, I bought a collection of the same model CF-18s, CF-18FHAZXBM, and now I have touchscreen issues with some of them.

When they arrived, they all appeared as if new old stock, no marks or scratches at all, with all the bios dates set in 2005. All of them had clear rubber keyboard protectors on them as well as aftermarket screen protectors. I really don’t think any were ever used.

I ran factory restore disks on all of them, and all the buttons seemed to work without fail. LCD was bright and colorful, all looked and ran well.

The problem is in the touchscreens, as several of them just didn’t want to work.

I made sure the aftermarket clear screen protectors were peeled off, and that started one of them working. I re-installed the drivers on all and that got another one working. I cleaned around the inside of the bezel with a business card, and that got a third one working. But I just can’t get the last two to breathe life after these steps, and it’s getting annoying.

I’ve tried re-installing the drivers five different ways, no life, no recognition at all, and when I attempt to calibrate, the red x never moves.

I opened the lid, moved the lcd, wiped down the interior of the factory screen protector, checked, then unplugged and re-plugged the touchscreen chip to the screen cable, and still no joy.

So what am I missing?

Springfield

Re: Another CF-18 Touchscreen problem

#2 Post by Springfield »

Unfortunately most CF-18 models are prone to touchscreen failure just like the later CF-29's and early CF-30's. I would guess the touch panel itself has failed. I bet Sadlmkr (Jeff) can fix or replace the touch panels, I know he's good with CF-29's.

If he doesn't show up soon, try sending him a PM.
ToughBooks: CF-74 73 53 52 51 31 30 29 28 27 25 19 18 08 07 C1 C2 F9 H1 M32 M33 M34 R2 S10 T8 T5 T4 T2 U1 W2 Y2 VDW07 PDRC ...
GoBooks: VR-2, XR-1, IX-260+, IX-350

Return to “CF-18 Talk (Discontinued Model)”