Getting Windows 7 to work on a Mark 1 CF-30

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

Getting Windows 7 to work on a Mark 1 CF-30

#1 Post by Rob »

I'm making this a sticky because we have all finally come together after struggling with this for a year to finally get this working! Thanks to everyone involved to make this project a success! Rick for staying up over night on numerous occasions and a special thanks to Darrin for figuring out that you need to update the BIOS to get the damn touchscreen to work! Thanks guys!

The drivers are located HERE: public_downloads/index.php?dir=CF-30%20 ... 0Gartrell/

A couple of things:

1) Be sure to put the Vista BIOS on before you attempt anything
2) It would be a good idea to do a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 7 if you have already monkeyed around with other drivers
3) When installing drivers, but SURE to install ALL OF THEM. Be sure to install ALL THREE hotkey drivers, the misc driver and
4) To get the touchscreen to work use TPSetUp.exe, reboot then use the "Tablet Calibration" utility in the control panel to calibrate the screen

If anything else needs to be added please PM me!

Thanks!
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Toughbook

Re: Getting Windows 7 to work on a Mark 1 CF-30

#2 Post by Toughbook »

How to load Windows 7 on your CF-30 MK1 Toughbook

I know that there is another thread out there about this but I htought I would do this write-up about my experience for others. Feel free to add on or correct and we'll sticky it somewhere... Perhaps Creating a W7 Stick for all models... As I noticed there are several already floating around for various models.

First (obviously) back-up all of your important data that you will want to transfer.

Second… You will want to update your BIOS (if it isn’t already) to CF-30, MK1 Vista. This is available from Toughbook2010’s post or on Rob’s site. (I know some drivers were switched out from the originals from that post so if either could post the correct link that would be cool!) CF-30s came with either the XP downgrade BIOS or the MS Vista BIOS running Vista. Upgrade to the Vista BIOS. Download the PDF from Panasonic to specifically tell you how to do this. If you decide at a later time to go back to XP… You can always reflash to downgrade again to XP Pro.

Once you have flashed the BIOS to Vista you need to go into the BIOS and disable GPS is you have it installed. If you forget to do this you will immediately see the jumping mouse cursor and you won’t be able to click on anything. If this happens... Exit the installation, reboot going into the BIOS and disable it. I disabled everything just to make sure that I would not have any issues when loading W7. Then I went in and turned them on as needed to load the item. However, I think GPS is the only thing you need to worry about. Leave the GPS turned off until further notice as the GPS Registry driver MUST be installed with the GPS disabled in the BIOS.

Once you load W7 and get it to boot up you can either find the zipped files on Rob’s site or you can have them pre-downloaded. You want all the drivers for a CF-30, MK1 that runs Vista…. You want all the VISTA files NOT XP Pro. The ONLY exception is for the TouchPAD driver.... Dowload the MK3(K/L) Windows 7 driver from Panasonic's site HERE! As a matter of fact... You can get ALL drivers from here... It will just take you some time to download if you don;t get the whole thing in one zipped file from Rob's site.

Usually I install the INF file first but this is not needed here, I don’t believe, as W7 will take care of a lot of stuff for you. Plus I think the INF file is geared toward XP Pro or Vista... Not W7. You would ordinarily load video drivers second…. But the video driver in W7 is a more modern version than what Panasonic offers…. So there is no need for that file either. So…. I installed everything the following way and order;

1. Sound driver – Unpack it, go into C:/Uti2/Drivers/Sound and click on the setup file. Reboot

2. Hotkey driver – This needs to be installed via Device Manager and should be the bottom of the “Unknown Drivers” that show in Device Manager. You unpack the Hotkey driver to C:/Util2/Drivers/Hotkey… Then update the 2nd “Unknown Device” (At least it as on mine) Reboot

3. Unpack the Hotkey Appendix and then go to C:/Util2/hkeyapp and run the setup… Reboot

4. Unpack Hotkey Settings and then go to C:/Util2/hkeyset and run setup… reboot

5. DOWNLOAD and unpack the touchpad driver for a CF-30(K/L) MK3 touchpad driver. This should be the ONLY driver that you will need that is not specifically for an MK1 running Vista as all the prior drivers have been for the MK1, only for Vista instead of XP Pro!

6. Unpack the Touchscreen driver. It will tell you that you are going to unpack it to C:/Util2/Drivers/tscreen…. Let it go. Run the setup. Now comes the calibration. If you go into device manager you will see several items pertaining to touchscreen… “Pen & Touch”… “Calibration”… AVOID THESE FOR NOW! Go into “Tablet PC Settings and choose to calibrate there. If you calibrate any other way, at least in my experience, the calibration will either be WAY off… Or will not take upon a reboot. The calibration is different than what you are used to… There are no red crosses… There are four sets of black ones in each corner but the process is the same. Tap the center gently and only momentarily and move to the next highlighted cross. There should be 16 in total… This is a MUCH better calibration method than Panny’s. I think this is native to W7 but am not sure at this point… I have only now started to play around with the additional options.

7. Install your WLAN driver. If it is Intel… Make sure that you go to Intel’s site to get the latest for your model. I am running a Ubiquiti ABGN card so I installed that for me.

8. Unpack the GPS Fix to C:/Util2/Drivers/GPS and then go into that directory and click on the only file there. It is a Registry Entry that need to fix the Serial Ballpoint issues so you won’t have the jumping cursor. NOW… Reboot, F2 at boot-up and set your GPS to auto. You should now have full functionality of your GPS on COM3. (At least on mine it is!)

9. Unpack and Common Driver to C:/Util2/pcommon and run setup and reboot.

10. Install the Bluetooth Driver that is on Rob’s site that is the latest that Toughbook2010 uploaded. It should work. I also believe that it is available for download on at least one of Panasonic’s mirror sites.

11. Unpack and install Handwriting App as described above

12. Install the Battery Recalibration (Brecal) as described above.

13. Install DMI as described…

14. Install PC Info as described…

15. I have tried to install the Loupe utility without success…. But I tried it on my old setup and not this one. If you feel the need (I never used it myself) to install it and get it working… Post back and I’ll include it here.

The only thing that shows on mine as not set up is the Pseudo Tunneling Device or some such thing that I don't really need. I just disabled it. If anyone has more info on this... Please let me know.

As of this time I cannot get my fingerprint scanner to work. I think it is because I originally installed the incorrect software for it and now am having a devil of a time getting rid of all the old files. The new (hopefully correct) program that I have will not install until I remove the old one and the old one won’t remove few of the DLL files… So I’ll need to go in manually at some point… But I never use my fingerprint reader anyway as it is so much of a hassle. So it is low priority for me now.

That’s about it… If anyone has any questions… Please let me know. This setup works 100% for me.

I can say that the touchscreen calibration tool under Tablet PC Settings allows me to calibrate this touchscreen so much more precisely than ever before… But it does act differently… You’ll see. There is also a pull-out from the side that you can enable any time you want to use handwriting or onscreen keyboard. There are also gestures that you can set up… Flicks they call them…. So you can just flick your screen instead of using the slider bar on the side or the up/down arrows.

All in all… Pretty cool and I’m loving it so far.

Rick
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

Azrial

#3 Post by Azrial »

You guys have done a great job of "self-certifying" the CF-30 for Win7! I think that this is pretty important as it extends the useful life of this model, something that Panasonic obviously never intended.

Let me know if you need the name of the vendor that sells the Win7 stickers to complete the certification process! :cheers:
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Toughbook

#4 Post by Toughbook »

Yes... Please let us know.... I know you can buy them from ebay... but a legit source is always better!
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

Azrial

#5 Post by Azrial »

Toughbook wrote:Yes... Please let us know.... I know you can buy them from ebay... but a legit source is always better!
Sorry, I dealt with this Chinese Seller, but he sells a good product and ships fast!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=455804
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

kljw

#6 Post by kljw »

Hi
can you tell me where to find the gps fix driver? i have looked in the file i downloaded with drivers for win7, but can not see it, help and guidene is appreciated as always.

on another note, win7 went on lik a dream, had a few issues with 3 unknown devices, but not sure how, they are all now working. i have a gps kit on order, will post info on that once it arrives, and i have installed it.

thanks agian to all who take time to ost on his site.

Edit
have now installed a gpd unit, have not instaled the gps fix, but all works well. should i still be looking to install the gps fix? or leave things well alone.
Cheers
Keith

luebke5530

#7 Post by luebke5530 »

sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, i was wondering if anyone has windows 7 running on a cf-30 MK2 with touchscreen, or if anyone knows what drivers to use?
-Steve

-1 CF-31ACNAA 1M-WIN 7 PRO, Intel Core i5 2.53 GHz w/ATI discrete graphics, 13.3" Touch XGA, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HYBRID HD, Intel 802.11a+b+g+n, TPM1.2, Bluetooth, GOBI 2k.
-2 CF-29NTQGZBM-Intel Pentium M 778 1.6GHzLv (Centrino),13.3" Touch XGA,1.5GB RAM, 320GB 5400 RPM HD,Intel 802.11a+b+g, WIN XP SP2, TPM1.2, CD +/-RW.
-1 CF-73XCVTSBM-Intel Pentium M-2.0GHz, 13.3" TOUCH, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB 5400 RPM HD, CD +/- RW DVD ROM, 56K/LAN, WIN XP PRO,
-1 CF-51JF2DCBM-Intel Pentium M 760 2.0GHz (Centrino), 15" UXGA, 2GB RAM, 320GB 5400 RPM HD, 128MB VRAM, 56K, 1Gb Ethernet, Intel 802.11a+b+g, Combo drive, WIN XP SP2, SmartCard.

luebke5530

#8 Post by luebke5530 »

Alright, i have since loaded windows 7 on a cf-30 mk2 7 or 8 times now, trying everything from an upgrade from windows vista, to following the mk3 driver install procedure to following robs instructions to the t, to a clean install and i seem to run into the same problems: first the fn keys do not adjust my screen brightness, and the hardware switch for the wireless does not work, and if i install the wireless switch utility, and turn off the wireless through there i wont be able to turn it back on as it is greyed out after that. i downloaded the latest intel driver and software for the wifi card and still the hardware switch doesnt work. i have tried drivers from the mk3 for the hot key etc and still no go. as far as the Pseudo Tunneling Device rob mentioned, it was the "Extended Thermal Model" driver. at least on the mk2. when trying to install the "etm" driver it will say operating system not supported, but if you update it though the device manager it will take. if anyone has attempted this on a MK2 or has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve
-Steve

-1 CF-31ACNAA 1M-WIN 7 PRO, Intel Core i5 2.53 GHz w/ATI discrete graphics, 13.3" Touch XGA, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HYBRID HD, Intel 802.11a+b+g+n, TPM1.2, Bluetooth, GOBI 2k.
-2 CF-29NTQGZBM-Intel Pentium M 778 1.6GHzLv (Centrino),13.3" Touch XGA,1.5GB RAM, 320GB 5400 RPM HD,Intel 802.11a+b+g, WIN XP SP2, TPM1.2, CD +/-RW.
-1 CF-73XCVTSBM-Intel Pentium M-2.0GHz, 13.3" TOUCH, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB 5400 RPM HD, CD +/- RW DVD ROM, 56K/LAN, WIN XP PRO,
-1 CF-51JF2DCBM-Intel Pentium M 760 2.0GHz (Centrino), 15" UXGA, 2GB RAM, 320GB 5400 RPM HD, 128MB VRAM, 56K, 1Gb Ethernet, Intel 802.11a+b+g, Combo drive, WIN XP SP2, SmartCard.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#9 Post by Rob »

Steve. As far as the "Operating system not supported" or a "does not support" error... Use Win RAR to extract the contents of the file to a folder and install manually that way.

For the FN keys (hotkey drivers) to work you remembered to install ALL THREE of the drivers right? (Including the misc one??)
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

rusty503

#10 Post by rusty503 »

Actually the "Pseudo Tunneling Device" mentioned above is actually the "Teredo Pseudo Tunneling Device". It is used with IPv6 and is needed if you want to use the Homegroup feature of Windows 7. The driver for this is normally installed when you install the drivers for the WLAN or WWAN.
CF-30KTPJQAM Mk3 1.6 GHz, 4GB, 500GB HDD 7200 RPM, 13.3 TS, Fingerprint, Gobi, Bluetooth, Intel A/B/G/N, DVD-RW, Win 7 x64.

12 CF-29's MK5, One CF-18 MK5, One CF-19 MK1, 4 CF-51's MK3, 7 CF-51 MK2, one CF-74 MK3, One CF-30 Mk 3 and one CF-52 MK2. Wait, is that all I have? MUST HAVE MORE!

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”