Toughbook for computer forensic use

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
jadams951

Toughbook for computer forensic use

#1 Post by jadams951 »

Anyone ever used a Toughbook for field use doing computer forensics. I've grown to love my Toughbook(CF-53). I'm needing a new laptop to use for field use. I wouldn't be using it for imaging of drives and such but I mainly would be using it for live preview work looking for illegal material. While I'm new to this field and still trying to become a computer geek I know I don't really need a gaming computer. I think for my purposes a good processor with a good number of cores and high RAM would suffice. Although, me being me, I'd like to have a good video card in it. How are the toughbooks with the video cards?

Shawn

Re: Toughbook for computer forensic use

#2 Post by Shawn »

Pick a good Linux distro
Life will beat you into submission.

ADOR

#3 Post by ADOR »

One advantage to having a graphics card is the CPU can focus on just being a CPU and not having to help render graphics as well.
How long do you want to operate it in the field? Do you want to hot swap batteries or is shutting down and swapping batteries fine?

Toughbooks with "newer" dedicated graphics are limited to CF-31, CF-52 and CF-54.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

jadams951

#4 Post by jadams951 »

ADOR wrote:One advantage to having a graphics card is the CPU can focus on just being a CPU and not having to help render graphics as well.
How long do you want to operate it in the field? Do you want to hot swap batteries or is shutting down and swapping batteries fine?

Toughbooks with "newer" dedicated graphics are limited to CF-31, CF-52 and CF-54.
I'm not too concerned with battery life. As I typically always have access to a plug on scenes. But knowing how awesome the battery life is on my CF53 I can only imagine it would be more than sufficient.

User32

#5 Post by User32 »

I'd get a 54 if you're not doing any rough field work like working in the rain.

"illegal material" = CP, warez and all that? IT Forensics sounds like a interesting job!

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”