Windows 10 is now an automadic update?

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
TowerClimb-11FN

Windows 10 is now an automadic update?

#1 Post by TowerClimb-11FN »

Im hearing from multiple sources that windows 10 is now a a recommended update and is, or will be, automatically initiating on computers. I for one am not a big fan of 10, with 7 being the last version I like. Any thoughts on this? How stable will 10 be on some of the Toughbooks?
CF30 MK3 KQC55AM
Bios- V3.0L20
EC- V3.0L13
Windows 7
Gobi 1000, FP reader, OEM GPS added
4GB RAM, 250GB SSD

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

Re: Windows 10 is now an automadic update?

#2 Post by toughasnails »

This is the second time they have done this . The first time they said it was a mistake. ...right. if your installing it on an older laptop be careful because it sometimes does not play nicely. MS answer to that is...buy a new one. They think you should buy a new one every other year. They even said this on the forum. They are so out of touch with the real world.
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

I am also not a fan of 10. I don't like that the nuisance reminder software auto installs. I have an older gateway laptop and when 10 first came out I signed up for the free install, waited for my download slot (2 weeks) then when it was ready windows determined that the gateway didn't have the gusto for the install. I found out what update to delete to get rid of the upgrade crap and thought I was done. Now it is back on the gateway and it is very irritating. I don't want 10 on any of my toughbooks because I think it will slow them down. I like the speed I have now.

Also upgraded wifes Dell from 8 to 10 (she started it without telling me or backing up :pat: ) it took about 14 hours, had to force shut down because it stalled and then it doesn't install all programs already installed in 8. UGGH!!

I think I am off topic a little. I don't want 10 forced on MY Toughbooks. I think I have seen some people running it on theirs.
We get some rules to follow.
That and this, these and those

CF-20 Mk1, CF-31 Mk5 i7, CF-31 Mk6 i7, FZ-G1 Mk2, CF-54 Mk2, CF-29 Mk5, CF-74J,
Star Labs Star Lite Mk3, Star Labs Labtop Mk3, Raspberry Pi 4b 8gb, Raspberry Pi-400, Raspberry Zero W(running piaware), Raspberry Pi 2

Shawn

#4 Post by Shawn »

Forced update.
I don't think the business community will bend over and take this. I can see a class action suit coming to compensate for all of the IT hours to "fix" the mess Win10 creates. I can't imagine how many computers with proprietary software this will break.
Life will beat you into submission.

kode-niner

#5 Post by kode-niner »

Shawn wrote:Forced update.
I don't think the business community will bend over and take this. I can see a class action suit coming to compensate for all of the IT hours to "fix" the mess Win10 creates. I can't imagine how many computers with proprietary software this will break.
And I've seen it happen. A car dealership I consult for had a payroll system hosed by the win10 update just this Monday. I haven't booted my Win7 systems in a while here at home, but the first thing I'll do is disable recommended software updates. I'll even be unplugging the ethernet cable before it starts downloading 6 gigs of crap for nothing.
Daily drives a CF-31

Springfield

#6 Post by Springfield »

From the little I've read on this, Win10 only auto-updates if Windows Update settings are "Install updates automatically" and the box is checked for "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important ones". That configuration is what Microsoft recommends for home/consumer PCs, but corporate and Toughbook units are not configured that way by default. Also corporate IT can push a policy that prevents the update. So this will affect the average home user but not us TB nuts or corporate users. Best to warn your family and friends tho . . . .
ToughBooks: CF-74 73 53 52 51 31 30 29 28 27 25 19 18 08 07 C1 C2 F9 H1 M32 M33 M34 R2 S10 T8 T5 T4 T2 U1 W2 Y2 VDW07 PDRC ...
GoBooks: VR-2, XR-1, IX-260+, IX-350

Azrial

#7 Post by Azrial »

There is a confirmed rumour that the VLK crowd is not having this as an issue...
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Bill_TN

#8 Post by Bill_TN »

Springfield wrote:From the little I've read on this, Win10 only auto-updates if Windows Update settings are "Install updates automatically" and the box is checked for "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important ones". That configuration is what Microsoft recommends for home/consumer PCs, but corporate and Toughbook units are not configured that way by default. Also corporate IT can push a policy that prevents the update. So this will affect the average home user but not us TB nuts or corporate users. Best to warn your family and friends tho . . . .
Well the wife's desktop is set to auto and reccomended updates and it has not turned 10 yet. It does do regular reboots for installs weekly. However it is still a w7 POS. When it takes it's final dive I'll just pull the hdd and recover all she wants and set her up with a mint install. After she suffers for a week or so with 10. :booty:
Last edited by Bill_TN on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

kode-niner

#9 Post by kode-niner »

Azrial wrote:There is a confirmed rumour that the VLK crowd is not having this as an issue...
Confirmed. I manage VLKs for a customer. W10 was never free for volume license owners, so it's sort of normal.
Springfield wrote:From the little I've read on this, Win10 only auto-updates if Windows Update settings are "Install updates automatically" and the box is checked for "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important ones".
Yep. Like I said in my post above yours, it's the first thing I'm disabling whenever I get around to booting W7. Which could be hell of a long time. :D
Daily drives a CF-31

SHEEPMAN!

#10 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

500 GB CF-53 Non-touch that has W7 on it now has MX14.4 keeping it from ever running unless I choose it from the Grub Menu. Dual boots can be a problem for some but usually only if W7 boots first.

There are a few files on the W7 I wanted to keep. They are accesible from the MX-14 side.

It took two hours for Linux to shrink the W7 partition. (Gparted) I think. Now I see I have 155 updates to install. New build, so no problem there. No worries about viruses.

MX-14 comes stock with Iceweasel (Firefox). I think I'll keep it for now.....I usually use Chromium.

The only tweak I added is xfce4-popup-whiskermenu. The "surrender flag" launches the menu now.

Smooth transition. FWIW

Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”