Model Number ?????????

Post all questions and information about the CF-18 in here.
tomcat57

Re: Model Number ?????????

#21 Post by tomcat57 »

They all should have wi-fi bluetooth + wwan antenna's ,thats normal

The model you will be getting will be the mk-2 , as that was the most common model

intel 2200bg wi-fi + ddr1 pc2700 memory

btw I deleted a post Ron as this is in the open area of the forum

Alex

ToughNut

#22 Post by ToughNut »

Sorry, but I'm feeling a little dense today. What was deleted?

ToughNut

#23 Post by ToughNut »

Nevermind, Alex. Just figured what it was about. Must be one of those classic brain-fart moments! Sorry.
Ron in SG

Doobi

#24 Post by Doobi »

Just a thought, but have you installed or have the Panasonic DMI viewer? It would show you the complete model number.
~Paul ;)
Philippians 4:6-7"

Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook - 1.6Ghz - 100 GB 7200 RPM HD - 1.5GB of RAM - GPS - Internal WiFi - Sierra Wireless EVDO - 13" Touchscreen - DVD/CDRW Drive - Media battery - BT enabled with BT PCMIA mouse - backlit keyboard - :D

Anyone for a game? Look for Doobi!! :p
http://www.letsplaychess.com

ToughNut

#25 Post by ToughNut »

tomcat57 wrote:They all should have wi-fi bluetooth + wwan antenna's ,thats normal
The model you will be getting will be the mk-2 , as that was the most common model
intel 2200bg wi-fi + ddr1 pc2700 memory
Alex,
The CF18 arrived in much better physical condition than I expected. All ports & covers are there and not a single blemish anywhere. Screen + protector was minty and Battery Bar indicates 10% wear. Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased but now, oh so hesitant to put it up for local sale.

I'm not as IT suave as the rest here and did have a helluva time trying to get it working again. For one, the supplied recovery discs were for a mark2 while my CF-18FHB22BA (Bios V3.00L13C) was quite obviously a mark3 and oddly, there's not much help/information from the configurator.

The other snag was that the extended RAM module was intermittently buggy, which rendered booting from a Ubuntu Live CD, WinXP OEM, Hiren's Boot CD and setting up from the proper mk3 recovery discs, a daunting task with constant BSODs (which explains why the seller had trouble with two different HDDs and was honest to sell the unit as a 'parts machine').

It did take me a while to figure that out *looks around to see how much hair I've lost!* and after removing the 512mb module (leaving the onboard 256mb to do the work), everything is up and running, albeit slower. A quick peek at the pre-installed reference manual states SO-DIMM 2.5V DDR SDRAM PC2100. I've briefly gone through the pdf operating instructions and it reads, "CF-18FHAZXBM 256Mb (1280 Max.), CF-18FHHZXBM 512Mb (1536 Max.)" Since mine has 256mb onboard, I presume that it's safe to add a DDR1 1gb module and that PC2700 is a good substitute (in case the shop doesn't have PC2100). Now updating the 18 to Sp3 but I'll leave the heavier online updates till later, after more RAM is installed.

There is a Sierra Wireless EM5625 modem that's exclamation marked in device manager and although I doubt that the device/technology is applicable in SG, I'd like to just install the drivers proper and get it out of the way.

Tried c: util\drivers\modem as well as the extracted modem driver download from http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/cgi-bin/it ... k/dl01.cgi but it doesn't do the trick. Appreciate a smack on the head (and a new pair of glasses) to point where I went wrong and a link, please. Aside from that, the unit is working as it should.

BTW, I don't see bluetooth and wifi is an Intel 2915ABG.

Many TIAs for any suggestions and guidance,
Ron in SG

Edit: I was hoping to rub some magic by cleaning the oxidation on the RAM module's pins but no go... and I realized it's just a 256mb (CF-BAH0256). Oh well...

As for the Sierra modem, I looked up http://www.sierrawireless.com/product/l ... ducts.aspx and all it says is, "Discontinued CDMA products, no longer supported: EM 5625 Embedded Module". Looks like I don't have much of a choice but what do you guys suggest; disable it from profile or remove the modem entirely?

Return to “CF-18 Talk (Discontinued Model)”