Wifi Bluetooth combo

Post all questions and information about the CF-18 in here.
Barney

Wifi Bluetooth combo

#1 Post by Barney »

Well I haven't even got a hard drive installed and OS yet (booting from USB) but I'm thinking about adding Bluetooth (does this count as modding?)

I was looking at the options for bluetooth. (for a keyboard so that I haven't got a USB plug in permanently

1, Factory bluetooth module
2, PCMCIA Module (small enough that I can keep the bay door closed
3, Wifi Bluetooth combo card
4, USB Dongle

1, Should be a fuss free install, no other pitfalls or benefits
2, Makes use of the PCMCIA bay, no other pitfalls or benefits
3, Wireless N upgrade, and bluetooth in one hit.
4, Can't close the port door. no other benefits.

I like number 3 anyone done this yet????????????

Also, I have a CDMA modem, with todays smartphones behaving as modems, and having a data allowance already included in the contract, (I don't intend making any big downloads, prolly just checking email (and similar light stuff), if there's no WIFI), and being fast by comparison, is the CDMA modem any use?
2 x CF-18, 1 x CF-19

ADOR

Re: Wifi Bluetooth combo

#2 Post by ADOR »

I know they make a combo m-pci card that has wifi and bluetooth, I have one in my Voodoo U703, it's based on Clevo/sager D900T. I am still looking on ebay for parts to fix this machine, it works but need a few odd and ends. Never booted a OS on it besides from live Linux cd, so I can't tell you much about the card.

http://www.amazon.com/Billionton-Class- ... B000FBOVOK
The Billionton card works well, the cheaper china made ones I hear don't last very long

The original bluetooth is on a daughter card in the CF-18 off to the side.
http://www.amazon.com/Billionton-Class- ... B000FBOVOK

This is what it looks like. WWAN, GPS and Bluetooth need that card to install the factory stuff. The link below shows only WWAN on one side, and empty slot (gps) and small card (bluetooth) on the other slot.

(If you can't find one I may have a extra daughter card left, I did get rid of a lot of them but still may have one or two lying around if you want me to look)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Tough ... 257578ed2e

Didn't you say your unit had WWAN? If so it has the daughter card already. CF-18DHA37KA..It would be worth pulling the back off again and see if it has bluetooth already. Some of the daughtercards had a sims card slot others didn't, I think yours is the harder to find board because of the plug in voice option it has. Did you get your battery and hard drive yet?
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Barney

#3 Post by Barney »

Just waiting for a caddy.

Got a battery (it was the only part that came with the machine) when booting into Ubuntu, I get a battery run time of 4 hours, but that's with nothing going on, so it's jut to run the screen, at least it's not dead. (it's a blue tab), have to try it for real when I've got it going properly.

You're right I may have bluetooth already although no entry in the bios.

Yep, got WWAN (and GPS and CDMA), I'll have to get the back off and have a look inside and see what I have, the daughter board should be there, so hopefully it will be plug and play.

(I had a Clevo D9T, my mother (back in the UK) uses it for her PC now (mainly skype, a bit of overkill))
2 x CF-18, 1 x CF-19

ADOR

#4 Post by ADOR »

I got mine originally dead (d900t) and when I went through it couldn't believe all the extra hookups it had, dual dvd drives, just about every card reader, even tv out hook up, and what kind of laptop has 4 slots for ram. It's overkill in so many ways. I replaced the motherboard with a later revision board that doesn't have the bad video card chip burn out problem. Then upgraded the 6800 ultra to a 7800 card. I even have a the dual core amd version of it. D900K. It was a two for one parts machine lot I got them both back working.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen

Barney

#5 Post by Barney »

Great (over the top) spec, but you need a reinforced, heatproof lap to put them on.
2 x CF-18, 1 x CF-19

Barney

#6 Post by Barney »

Pretty sure that there's no Bluetooth, booted into Mint which has a pretty comprehensive device display and there is no Bluetooth listed on the PCI devices.
2 x CF-18, 1 x CF-19

Gear6

#7 Post by Gear6 »

did you try

Code: Select all

lsusb
? usually the bluetooth cards have a USB interface.
check the wireless off switch, also.
C1mk1&2, CF19mk4, CF30mk1&mk3

ADOR

#8 Post by ADOR »

I do think it shows up in Ubuntu 10 and higher, not sure about mint. I have tried it out sine about version 5 or 6?

Barney

#9 Post by Barney »

Wireless (CDMA modem) is switched off (I did it in the Bios) I'll try that, and lsusb

WIFI up and running

Mint is up to 13 now, very complete and windows like, lots of drivers included.. A good option if you want to set up a system for a windows user.

Should have the caddy sometime this week (and the Ram hopefully), already downloaded the drivers from Panasonic I'll write a little batch script to install them in order. Australain support don't have any restore disks for my model number.

I reckon that mine has a Touchscreen despite the red herring (Spec sheet showing a digitizer) thrown at me. (unless somebody swapped screens at some stage, but I doubt that.
2 x CF-18, 1 x CF-19

ADOR

#10 Post by ADOR »

I always swap up Ubuntu on newer installs. I HATE the UNITY interface!!!! Thankfully it's a decision they made that I don't have to live with.

When I decoded yours before it says touchscreen. To have a digitizer you have to have a special motherboard that has two connections. The digitizer motherboard has the hook up for touch AND the digitizer. The touch models have touch only hook up.

Return to “CF-18 Talk (Discontinued Model)”