WiFi Connection Issues

Post all questions and information about the CF-33 in here. (Yes, Panasonic skipped the "CF-32 model" and went straight to CF-33 just to be a pain...)
nmbushek

WiFi Connection Issues

#1 Post by nmbushek »

Hello all,

I have now had my CF-33 for almost 10 months now.

For the past month or so, I am encountering issues with the WiFi connecting.

I have removed the wireless interface and reinstalled it, gone through several advanced setting changes and still having issues.

For some reason, I have to be right up next to the source of the wifi router for it to see it. For example, at my house while on the couch; I have my CF-33 right next to my CF-31. The CF-31 shows full wireless signal reception with my router but the CF-33 only shows maybe one bar of reception.

Several times it will disconnect from my wifi router before trying to reconnect.

The only way I have been able to keep the WiFi connected was to install a range extender very close to my coffee table. When the CF-33 connects to it it only shows 2 maybe 3 bars of reception.

For work, I have had to Velcro my Hot Spot to the back of the 33 some times it will show full reception and other times it will only show 50% reception.

For another example, I am currently in a hotel in Charlotte, NC. My CF-31 connects to the hotel's wifi at 100% but the CF-33 does not even see the hotel's wifi as an available connection.

As a sanity check, I have verified all the advanced setting within the wifi on the 33 match what my 31 is set to.

I am completely out of ideas at this point. Hopefully maybe one of the gurus on this site might be able to assist in resolving, or pointing me in the correct direction to get the wifi connection issues resolved.

Thank you in advance for any help that can be shared.
-31Mk3, 16gb RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

-54Mk2, 16gb RAM, Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

Shawn

Re: WiFi Connection Issues

#2 Post by Shawn »

Sounds like the wifi card is failing.
Send it in for warranty repair.
Life will beat you into submission.

kode-niner

#3 Post by kode-niner »

Is it possible the antenna wire got shaken loose?
Daily drives a CF-31

nmbushek

#4 Post by nmbushek »

Hi Toughbook Junkies,

Sorry for going dark for a while. Hope everyone had a safe and Merry Christmas.

To circle back on this post and respectfully request some further assistance....

So the 33 went back to Heartland and they replaced the wifi card back in Jan of '19. The wifi issue was resolved with the replacement card.

Fast forward to last night, keeping in mind that the warranty expired back on 31Aug2020, had the 33 on the arm of the couch and the dog bumped it off. The 33 fell about 2' onto the hardwood floor.

Now I am in the some what of same/similiar boat with wifi issues. Only get 1 bar of wifi reception unless I am right next to the router or the extender.

Being that the warranty is now gone, and I am very skilled at pulling apart and putting 29s, 30s, 31s back together; was thinking of possible trying my luck with the 33 to check the antenna connections. However, I'm a little hesitant on the 33 since it is a much different animal that the others.

Would anyone one of you gurus happen to have an IPB(Illustrated Part Breakdown) or some documentation how to take this new bread apart?

Any info or suggestions you would be willing to share would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Have a Happy New Year.

Respectfully,

Nick

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

Sorry, newest I have is CF 31.

nmbushek

#6 Post by nmbushek »

Toughbook Gurus,

Update......I was able to carefully and successfully open up my 33 and found that the wifi antennas had become disconnected. Reconnected them and the wifi connection issues have now been resolved.

Disassembling the 33 was not as bad as originally thought, thank goodness.

Thanks again for all info shared

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

I tape the antenna connection down on any Toughbook I have apart.

nmbushek

#8 Post by nmbushek »

Hey Shawn....thanks for the words of wisdom. In your expert opinion, what would be the best "tape" to use to "anchor" down my antenna wires down.

kode-niner

#9 Post by kode-niner »

Kapton tape is always my favourite.
Daily drives a CF-31

nmbushek

#10 Post by nmbushek »

Hi kode-niner,

Thanks for the suggestion, very much appreciated. I used that on my HDD heaters, so I should have a roll or 2 laying around some where

Return to “CF-33 Talk (Current Model)”