Preliminary CF-20 Guide

Post all questions and information about the CF-20 in here.
Karl Klammer

Preliminary CF-20 Guide

#1 Post by Karl Klammer »

( Preliminary version, trying to consolidate all information of CF-20 is coming out... thread and then some more )

Description
The Toughbook 20 is a fully rugged, lightweight detachable laptop with a removable keyboard
that transforms into a fully functioning tablet with just one hand.
It is the first fully rugged detachable laptop in the market and features a magnesium alloy chassis and durable MIL-STD-810G and IP65 design.
At only 3.9 pounds, it’s good on the go with a clever built in handle that also functions as a kickstand,
an optional bridge battery which allows hot swappable battery replacement without disruption
and the broadest range of ports and integrated options in its class.
The Panasonic Toughbook 20 comes with a display that allows you to touch the screen with or without gloves.
Its sunlight-viewable 800 nit IPS alpha display with direct bonding enables wider viewing angles and richer colors.

It was announced on 2015-11-09 and is supposed to be available in Februar/March 2016.
toughbook-20_launch_pr.pdf

Key Features
Versatility: World’s first fully rugged detachable PC, combining the best features of laptop and tablet.
Processor: Intel® CoreTM m5-6Y57 vProTM Processor (4MB cache, 1.1GHz up to 2.8 GHz with Intel®
Turbo Boost Technology).
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro operating system with option to downgrade to Windows 7.
Display: 10.1” WUXGA 1920 x 1200 (224 PPI) sunlight-viewable 800 nit IPS display
Memory & Storage: 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD (upgradeable to 256GB or 512GB).
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 515.
Battery Life: An identical, removable, full-shift 2600mAh battery comes standard in the tablet and as
an option in the keyboard dock
Hot Swappable: Optional bridge battery allows batteries to be hot swapped for continuous use.
Durability: Designed to meet MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-461F and IP65. (180cm tablet-only drop, 120cm tablet+keyboard drop)
Connectivity: A variety of ports on both tablet and keyboard dock for maximum portability and
flexibility including USB (including one high powered 1.5A USB), SDXC, HDMI, VGA, Serial, Ethernet,
Wireless: 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Dual Pass Antenna, optional 4G LTE multi carrier or Dedicated GPS.

Panasonic documents
- CF-20 Announcement
- CF-20 Spec Sheet
- CF-20 Solution Guide
- CF-19 / CF-20 Comparison
- CF-20 Product Page
- CF-20 FAQ
- Touchscreen Display Technology, your in-depth guide

Reviews
- Panasonic Toughbook CF-20 Review: The Toughest 2-in-1 @ NBR
- RuggedPC Review
- Expert Reviews
- Panasonic CF-20 Review – The Good, the Bad and the Ugly @ NBR
- CF-20 Review! The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly! @ TBT
- CF-20 Video Walkthrough by TheRuggedStore

Videos
- 3:40 Two Parts. One Story.
- 2:50 Overview
- 3:24 Six modes
- 3:58 Launchday Interview Paul Davidson

Testimonials
- 0:34 Agri Con
- 2:09 Statnett
- 2:14 Nederlands Loodswezen
- 2:43 Axira Ambulance

Threads
- CF-20 is coming out... @ TBT
- CF-20 @ NBR

Inofficial FAQ
Will the CF-20 replace the CF-19?
Panasonic has not released a statement on this topic yet - the question has been raised to US Sales support on 2015-11-11 06:57 UTC.
The following points support this assumption:
- numbering scheme
- CF-19 / 20 Comparison sheet (see above section Panasonic Documents)
- roughly same target audience and rugged specs
- would make (business-)sense to bundle cf-19, cf-h2, fz-g1, maybe cf-c2 resources into "the perfect all-round rugged notebook" (quote Two Parts One Story video)
- RuggedPC Review describes cf-20 as successor to cf-19
The many differences, which effectively turn the cf-20 into an entirely different platform, probably work against this assumption:
- cf-20: detachable laptop with two ~30wh batteries, 800nit capacitive ips alpha 16:10 with hdmi+vga, fixed ssd, fixed 8g ram, webcam+mic
- cf-19: convertible laptop with one ~60wh battery, 1.000nit resistive circulumin 4:3 with vga, quick-release hdd/ssd, 4-16g ram, pcmcia+expresscard+firewire

What is the drop rating?
according to Launchday Interview Paul Davidson video:
- 180cm (6 foot) for tablet only
- 120cm (4 foot) for tablet+keyboard
Last edited by Karl Klammer on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

EdFromBJCS

Re: Preliminary CF-20 Guide

#2 Post by EdFromBJCS »

Capacitive touch :-/

That's gonna be a bummer for people who wear work gloves.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#3 Post by Rob »

You can use gloves. The G1 is the same way.

I do agree that resistive is better though but I think they're getting away from it because it's not sensitive enough.
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

EdFromBJCS

#4 Post by EdFromBJCS »

Capacitive also acts up in high humidity or wet environments. I generally prefer to use a capacitive touch, but I can't see the CF-20 being a true CF-19 replacement without resistive.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#5 Post by Rob »

EdFromBJCS wrote:Capacitive also acts up in high humidity or wet environments. I generally prefer to use a capacitive touch, but I can't see the CF-20 being a true CF-19 replacement without resistive.
Agreed!!!!

I've even noticed that the touchpad on my 53 screws up in high humidity because it's capacitive as well, not resistive like the 19 and 31.

Thanks!
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Karl Klammer

#6 Post by Karl Klammer »

Has anyone experienced issues with toughpads in rain and/or high humidity?
Please also specify if you have been using multi-touch mode or rain mode for the described experiences.

A quick search for toughpad rain on TBT and NBR did not turn up any interesting results on this topic.

Karl Klammer

cf20 and cf33 seem to be dead ends

#7 Post by Karl Klammer »

cffffuuuuuu2.png
cffffuuuuuu2.png (278.08 KiB) Viewed 15882 times

Return to “CF-20 Talk (Current Model)”