~Toughbooktalk~ Rob - 630-300-8877

The largest Toughbook discussion site on the net!
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:04 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:31 pm 

Hi Folks!

I was pondering HDD and CD/DVD use on the CF-29 and have these two questions:

Question 1: What is the largest HDD that can be installed in a Series III CF-29 and a Series II CF-29, and other than changing it out of the carrier, is there anything else that I’ll need to do besides re-imaging the disk?

I'm asking because years ago I replaced the HDD on my CF-29EWPCBKM (Series II machine) with a 120GB drive, but have wondered how big a drive is supported by the BIOS hacked or not.

Question 2: Is there an aftermarket R/W DVD drive that can be used in the existing CD/DVD carrier to get the ability to R/W DVDs?

Thanks!
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
W2TTT@ARRL.NET

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:46 pm 

w2ttt wrote:
Hi Folks!
I was pondering HDD and CD/DVD use on the CF-29 and have these two questions:

Question 1: What is the largest HDD that can be installed in a Series III CF-29 and a Series II CF-29, and other than changing it out of the carrier, is there anything else that I’ll need to do besides re-imaging the disk?

The largest PATA 2.5" HDD that is still available if the Western Digital Scorpio 320 GB. I am running one on my CF-29. If you are running XP or later, you should have no problems seeing it all as one partition. However, frankly, I like to set up my drives with two as a minimum to keep the bulk of my data separate from my Operating System in case I need to do a reinstall and to minimize the amount of space that mush be defragged.

w2ttt wrote:
Question 2: Is there an aftermarket R/W DVD drive that can be used in the existing CD/DVD carrier to get the ability to R/W DVDs?

Thanks!
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
W2TTT@ARRL.NET

I have a Genuine Panasonic 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive Model UJDA750 for sale over at NBR. It is a drop in and requires no modifications, however it is just a DVD Player with CD R/W. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=449266

CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm 

WOW! 320GB in my CF-29 would be excellent! That's good news!

On the DVD question, I was hoping for a R/W drive...oh well!
:-)
Many thanks again!
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
W2TTT@ARRL.NET