Bunch of questions

Post all questions and information about the CF-29 in here.
starsea

Bunch of questions

#1 Post by starsea »

Hi I'm restoring a Panasonic CF-29LTQGZBM, in his welcome letter Robert said that it might be able to support 2gb of RAM but to check with others here to make sure.
I bought a correct charger and cord first to make sure that it would boot up. It did. Had the correct date and time on it too.
Now I need a bay door for the harddrive slot, harddrive and caddy. I was looking at techtough.com plug and play drives. Is it going to be that simple? Looking at either the 1TB SATA or the 240/480 GB SSD. with Windows 7. I plan on using this mainly to play music. Search, play, search. 1TB is plenty of room but if the operating performance will be noticeably faster I can go with the SSD and an external harddrive.
It looks like it only has one mono speaker, if I plug into the headphone jack will I get stereo output? Does this have built in wifi?
CF-29 MK4
CF-19 MK5

User32

Re: Bunch of questions

#2 Post by User32 »

I wouldn't put in a SSD in a old TB like a 29 or even consider rebuilding it, 30s are super cheap nowadays.

(says the masochist that is rebuilding a 18 Mk4!)

starsea

#3 Post by starsea »

This one was free so I can't beat that. I did think about taking the cheap way out and go with the stock 80gb just to save it. I did run across a CF-52 for $300 ready roll. Haven't looked at the CF-30s. I guess I need compare the two and see how they rate. The CF-52 doesn't look as tough as the CF-30 but I'm sure it is a lot tougher than my Acer and my Think Pad is dying a slow honorable death.
CF-29 MK4
CF-19 MK5

Shawn

#4 Post by Shawn »

CF 29 uses older PATA (IDE) hard drives.
Life will beat you into submission.

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

Windows 7 will be slooow in a 29. I've had a few 29s and Windows XP is about as far as you want to go. The mk4 or mk5 I had did not like YouTube and would freeze video. Sounds like you should look at a cf-30 mk3 before you spend money on that free one.
We get some rules to follow.
That and this, these and those

CF-20 Mk1, CF-31 Mk5 i7, CF-31 Mk6 i7, FZ-G1 Mk2, CF-54 Mk2, CF-29 Mk5, CF-74J,
Star Labs Star Lite Mk3, Star Labs Labtop Mk3, Raspberry Pi 4b 8gb, Raspberry Pi-400, Raspberry Zero W(running piaware), Raspberry Pi 2

SHEEPMAN!

#6 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

1.5 G ram max as it is a touchscreen. That's the T in your model #. Another way to tell is if it has 512 on-board ram it will only take another gig. Non-touch have 256 onboard and will take 2 gig.

I run ssd in several and prefer Linux AntiX MX-16. Using techtuff converter in the caddy. Or a mini-usb in the back with the door shut.

As far as CF-52 go I prefer the 52GUN__M. Has a CF-30 touchscreen in it...1024x768. I've dropped them several times. Quick enough for everything except games. Regular CF-52 would not survive being dropped with the display open. Yes I know the view is better with full screen. It just depends on what you need it for.

Your machine out the door price was +$4,000. I happen to like CF-29 BTW. (Could you tell?)
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

starsea

#7 Post by starsea »

First time on something other than the bios with the TB. Running an old xubuntu cd disk and able to connect to the internet. I ordered a caddy and a 1000gb harddrive with XP on it. Now all that's left is to get is a door and screws for the harddrive bay. :) Interesting note, my Think Pad R50 won't connect to the wifi unless I turn off the passwords. But when I was checking out the xubuntu disk I discovered that it will connect with no problems. There is life after XP. lol Thank you for the help and suggestions.
CF-29 MK4
CF-19 MK5

ADOR

#8 Post by ADOR »

Hell I just put XP back on my Mk3. I will be going with Linux next to it. Last go around it was Ubuntu 10.10. Later on i swapped to windows 7 to see how well I could get it to run.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

starsea

#9 Post by starsea »

I was using Xubuntu 8.04.1 the first time on a disk. The second time I put Xubuntu 16.04.2 on a USB stick. It ran SLOW! Kept hanging up. How did it run with Ubuntu 10.10?
CF-29 MK4
CF-19 MK5

SHEEPMAN!

#10 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I'm preferring MX-15 Linux for CF-29. I see MX-17 has a 386 version. Hmmmm. Ah, they recognize that systemd is a problem.....I like these guys.
Why I prefer MX-15 is the options on the grub menu. You still have to know what they do, but grub options are set up to add with the Function keys. Very helpful when working with CF-29 prior to MK4.

Encountered a "squirrel"........... downloading Legacy OS 2.1 LTS.iso. <700mb (fits a CD)

I have 29 parts. I need an address (PM)...you pay shipping. FWIW. I prefer CONUS.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Return to “CF-29 Talk (Discontinued Model)”