~Toughbooktalk~ Rob - 630-300-8877

The largest Toughbook discussion site on the net!
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:09 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Used Batteries
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:05 pm 

I have heard people on this forum indicating that they renew old batteries. I have two original panasonic batteries for a cf-28 and cf-29 that i have replaced. If anybody would like these batteries let me know THanks

Post subject: Re: Used Batteries
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:59 am 

How did you reprogram the chip inside? That is what tells the batteries how old they are and how much charge to take. I have rebuilt several CF-28 batteries to no avail... You must be able to reprogram them or the new batteries are wasted. The only way that I know around this would be to replace the batteries when the battery pack is new and replace with a higher capacity battery.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 am 

I am not saying that I did any work on the old batteries I am simply saying I replaced two batteries with new ones. I have two old batteries for anyone who wants to take a shot at getting back up to speed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:21 pm 

Toughbook wrote:
How did you reprogram the chip inside? That is what tells the batteries how old they are and how much charge to take. I have rebuilt several CF-28 batteries to no avail... You must be able to reprogram them or the new batteries are wasted. The only way that I know around this would be to replace the batteries when the battery pack is new and replace with a higher capacity battery.

I am not doubting you but that certainly is a novel thing for a battery to have. Why would they have to program obsolescence into the battery? I mean isn't this reduction the the ability to hold a charge is a natural byproduct of a battery aging?

I ask because I really want to know.

CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Last edited by Azrial on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:23 pm 

I noticed an interesting thing earlier this week when I refreshed the battery in a CF-29 I got. It actually ended up reporting a HIGHER fully charged capacity after refresh. I know this is different behavior than the CF-28's, which would only lower the capacity. This got me wondering if the CF-29 batteries might be rebuildable?
anyone tried it? I don't have any 29 batteries that are dead enough for me to tear in to, or I'd consider doing it myself

nine

Toughbooks, I have a few :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:30 pm 

i have an old cf29 battery and 28