WWAN card options

Post all questions and information about the CF-29 in here.
wyrm73

WWAN card options

#1 Post by wyrm73 »

OK, I admit it. I just wanted to be first to post in the CF-29 forum. :P

Seriously, what I am trying to figure out is what to do with the "wireless ready" CF-29L3LGWBM I have. At first I was not really interested in adding an internal card until I had to use an old PCMCIA card for the last month. It is older hardware (Sierra Wireless 860) so it seems a lot slower than the newer cards that I have used. To add to the annoyance, I have to keep the port cover open all the time for the antennae, which is also somewhat flakey and I have to fiddle with it to get a connection sometimes.

What I would really like to do is add a GOBI card since I am using AT&T card currently (free through my work until I leave the States) but I will likely want to switch to Verizon when I return home. Has anyone determined yet if the GOBI cards will work with the MK IV 29s? If not, what do I have to do to go about adding a WWAN card to my machine? The little bit of reading I have had time to do leaves me confused as to whether I just need to add the card to the existing sled or whether it is faster and easier to find an assembled AT&T WWAN/ GPS sled on Ebay and swap the whole thing.

Ideas/ advice anyone?

tomcat57

Re: WWAN card options

#2 Post by tomcat57 »

My first wireless card was the sierra wireless pcmcia variety and was installed in my cf-29 that lacked built-in wwan
It was a shame that I owned one of the few laptops at the time that had the wwan option available from the factory , and was not optioned with it
That was 5 or so years ago and I hated having the cover open
I ended up drilling a hole in the pcmcia cover , and that allowed the cover to close with only the antenna exposed

Alex

Silver Trooper

#3 Post by Silver Trooper »

Wyrm, I would almost believe that it would be easier to get one already assembled. I got a card from Cap and was going to put it in a CF-29 of mine since I already had the sled with GPS. Come to find out I needed several more small items to complete the install and I did not feel like trying to determine the part #'s for all of them (cables, standoffs, etc....) so I just got an AT&T unit off eBay and added the GPS for a complete unit. I have not procured a card from AT&T yet as here in the Panama City area 3G is not available. Besides, I would only use it when I am at my mother's in TN at this point. I had an AT&T Sierra 881 card previously when I was living in SC in a trailer (no cable or any other internet available), and got decent speeds with the 3G in that area. Got down here and could not see spending $50 @ month for something that did not work. The lady at AT&T felt so bad that she did not charge me the $175 early termination fee. Of course, I have three other lines with them so that may have played a part in her decision.
One CF-52, four CF-18's, 4.5 CF-28's, one CF-29, five CF-M34's, two CF-37's, one CF-P2 and two CF-P1's. There are also two Getac A320T's, one Fieldpac and two IBM Transnotes. Not to mention the AMD 5600 CPU with three monitors and several HP PDA's. Whew! Must quit buying...no, must have MORE! Then there are the weapons...

Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

kevin13

#4 Post by kevin13 »

Oh boy, I may have made a huge mistake! I'm a very green newbie to the CF-29. I've been reading a much as I can but last week a CF-29FWTGZKM poped up in good shape so I went for it. Trouble is wireless will be a must in our two story house and I'm hearing from this thread that I might have really blew it. The CF-29FWTGZKM I bought is listed as Pentium M 1.3GHz No WLAN (Federal Only) but I may have misunderstood advice from another forum which suggested wireless could be easily achieved using a mini pci card in the CF-29.

Am I really doomed to building up a stripped CF-29FWTGZKM (OS, HD, caddy, CD ROM, etc) only to end up drilling through a door for an antenna extension! :<(

Any advice appreciated, the CF-29 arrives next week.

teo

#5 Post by teo »

Kevin...There are two type of wireless systen uses to the laptop one is using wi-fi and the other in WWAN. Your unit as you mentioned is a federal issue unit. It means both of those option has none but It is easy setting up your unit to a wi-fi capable system as all CF-29 unit has an antena provision for wi-fi. You only need to buy a mini pci card not mini pci express. It cost only around 15buck. You may choose what kind, there are 600mw which is expensive and you may use intel a/b/g or b/g. Probably an atheros base chipset. Its up to you. Now! here is what you gonna do. You have to open up the button case in order to access and install the card. You may need a service manual which is available on this forum look for JB007...there is link for public download. Good Luck.

teo

kevin13

#6 Post by kevin13 »

Many thanks for the information and advice teo! I can see I have a lot to learn so I plan to take it slow, read the boards for updates and hopefully not ask too many dumb questions along the way :>) Appreciate the help.

teo

#7 Post by teo »

kevin13 wrote:Many thanks for the information and advice teo! I can see I have a lot to learn so I plan to take it slow, read the boards for updates and hopefully not ask too many dumb questions along the way :>) Appreciate the help.

Kevin...Your welcome. Most of us here start same as like you, asking so many question but that is all about the forum. Yup! your right you need more reading. There are no such thing or person here or even in other forum are expert. We are just a bunch of toughbook lover and learning is a continues process. Every now and then comes up a new idea and maybe if you've got one will be the best one, you know!

teo

interestingfellow

#8 Post by interestingfellow »

On a side note, i do have an entire assembly for the wwan antenna if someone is interested in purchasing it.
that's the corner, pcb, "hat", antenna, drain tube, and ufl/ufl lead, and ufl/mmcx rt angle lead.

Not listing it for sale necessarily, but I see several people possibly needing one, and figured I should throw it out there.

OperationDinnerOut

#9 Post by OperationDinnerOut »

interestingfellow wrote:On a side note, i do have an entire assembly for the wwan antenna if someone is interested in purchasing it.
that's the corner, pcb, "hat", antenna, drain tube, and ufl/ufl lead, and ufl/mmcx rt angle lead.

Not listing it for sale necessarily, but I see several people possibly needing one, and figured I should throw it out there.
Perhaps this is a silly question, but can this WWAN antenna attach to the sled GPS and boost its reception?
- Andy -
Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 Mk2 - Fully-rugged, Win7
HP EliteBook 2530p - 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, Win7
Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 Mk3 - Rubber backlit keyboard, WinXP/Debian

interestingfellow

#10 Post by interestingfellow »

well, it's designed for the 1900ish mhz range.
a quick google will reveal that gps operates at 1227 and 1575 mhz
So, yes, but not well, as the antenna is not tuned to those frequencies. Unless it happens that it's also tuned for 1/4 lamda of gps.

what many do, is retro fit a sarentel gps antenna to the boot. I also have an extra boot lying around too!

search nbr, and pay strict attention to "toughbook", as he has given me (and many others) alot of input on the subject

Return to “CF-29 Talk (Discontinued Model)”