Chrome OS on my CF-19 MK7?

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Shawn

Re: Chrome OS on my CF-19 MK7?

#11 Post by Shawn »

I downloaded the Cr OS in Rob's link. Burnt a disk and I ran it live on my Macbook. ( I got bored with Toughbooks at the moment)
OSX has been a learning experience. Windows does not look so bad now. That's another thread.

Cr OS does not see the wifi card. I tried the stock Broadcom and an Intel 5100. Well I should say the network setup does not see the card. Yast does. Whatever Yast is?
I am installing Cr OS to the HDD right now.

The Arnoldthebat version looks to have a bit more features, but it seems to require jumping through terminal hoops to install. It downloads as a drive img file. This is not an iso and must be installed via a usb stick. I will mess with it after work.

So far, I like the looks of Cr OS.

Help!!!! What's the deal with the wifi?

I did something wrong...Cr OS won't boot from the Hard drive..ARRRGGGHH
Life will beat you into submission.

kode-niner

#12 Post by kode-niner »

Shawn wrote:Whatever Yast is?
Yet Another Setup Tool. ;)
Daily drives a CF-31

Shawn

#13 Post by Shawn »

It says Yast has control of network config. I did not see how to change any settings in Yast. Just viewing them. Maybe because I was on a Live CD version of Cr OS.
I think I may have figured the boot problem. Since it is a Macbook, the HDD has a GPT partition table. I probably need to switch that to a MBR partition table.

Shawn

#14 Post by Shawn »

Hmm...I guess RTFM applies to me.

Activating the Network Device

If you use the traditional method with ifup, you can configure your device to either start during boot, on cable connection, on card detection, manually or never. To change device start-up, proceed as follows:

In YaST select a card from the list of detected cards in Network Devices > Network Settings and click Edit.

In the General tab, select the desired entry from Device Activation.

Choose At Boot Time to start the device during the system boot. With On Cable Connection, the interface is watched for any existing physical connection. With On Hotplug, the interface is set as soon as available. It is similar to the At Boot Time option, and only differs in the fact that no error occurs if the interface is not present at boot time. Choose Manually to control the interface manually with ifup. Choose Never to not start the device at all. The On NFSroot is similar to At Boot Time, but the interface does not shut down with the rcnetwork stop command. Use this if you use an nfs or iscsi root file system.

Click Next.

To activate the configuration, click OK.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#15 Post by Rob »

Well this is less than fun... The screen is all doubled and I cannot click on the "Let's Go" button for some reason... :doh: I am surprised though that not only did the WIFI work but the 4G LTE for T-Mobile did as well...
Attachments
IMG_20170216_113546.jpg
IMG_20170216_113546.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 8778 times
IMG_20170216_113538.jpg
IMG_20170216_113538.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 8778 times
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Shawn

#16 Post by Shawn »

I am attempting to make a USB installer for Neverwares version of Chromium.

SHEEPMAN!

#17 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Code: Select all

dd if=ChromeOS.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4M
Definitions:

dd = name of the little program
if = input file
.img = image
of = ouput file
/dev/sd? = path to the usb stick
bs = read and write up to BYTES bytes at a time

And so it means "Use dd to read ChromeOS.img and write it to usb stick in increments of 4M." That is an exact byte by byte image.

FAQ
1. If I write to /dev/sda will it overwrite my hard drive? YES and YES I'm trying to scare you
2. How do I know what /dev/sdX is? I hot-plug a stick and run dmesg in terminal. Normally the first stick is /dev/sdb then /dev/sdc and so on.
3. Can I copy from one usb to another? Yes, change the path. (dd if=/dev/sdX/ChromeOS.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4M) This is an example only. The X is a safety net....otherwise a cut and paste would run dd.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#18 Post by Shawn »

If you follow instructions, making a Neverware Cloudready version of Chromium USB stick is easy.
Installed it...Not really my cup o tea..
Looks nice and professional. Not really an OS in my opinion. Web only and limited.
I will explore Cr OS and arnoldthebat's versions again. I think they may have more substance.

Now if I can figure how to get Cr OS to boot from the HDD.

I really need some 32-64gb SSD's for doing this load and run testing.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”