Mint and CF-19

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
TheOdditie

Mint and CF-19

#1 Post by TheOdditie »

I was recently lucky enough to have 2 CF-19AHUAG1M given to me. I wanted 1 mostly because I run disc golf events outside and wanted something I wouldn't have to worry about breaking. After a little browsing here, I've realized toughbooks are a complete different beast.

Odd thing was the first one was given to me and worked for a couple weeks before the fun GPS/mouse issue reared it's ugly head on Windows 10. I took it back to the guy and he got another one that did the exact same thing. Neither one have a GPS card and he couldn't figure out how to fix the issue so gave me both machines.

I've always preferred linux over Windows so I installed Mint on both machines now. I had hoped Mint wouldn't have the same issue, but of course it does. Is there a way to fix it and get the touchscreen actually working? Currently both work fine as long as the touchscreen is disabled in BIOS. Touchscreen isn't a make or break feature, but would be nice to have it working.

I've also ran into the sound issue, having to open alsamixer to unmute channels to get the speaker working. Any way to get this actually fixed without having to open alsamixer after each boot?

These laptops have made me feel like a complete computer noob again.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have browsed the threads here, but the Linux ones haven't been that active.

User32

Re: Mint and CF-19

#2 Post by User32 »

TheOdditie wrote:I was recently lucky enough to have 2 CF-19AHUAG1M given to me. I wanted 1 mostly because I run disc golf events outside and wanted something I wouldn't have to worry about breaking. After a little browsing here, I've realized Toughbooks are a complete different beast.

Odd thing was the first one was given to me and worked for a couple weeks before the fun GPS/mouse issue reared it's ugly head on Windows 10. I took it back to the guy and he got another one that did the exact same thing. Neither one have a GPS card and he couldn't figure out how to fix the issue so gave me both machines.

I've always preferred linux over Windows so I installed Mint on both machines now. I had hoped Mint wouldn't have the same issue, but of course it does. Is there a way to fix it and get the touchscreen actually working? Currently both work fine as long as the touchscreen is disabled in BIOS. Touchscreen isn't a make or break feature, but would be nice to have it working.

I've also ran into the sound issue, having to open alsamixer to unmute channels to get the speaker working. Any way to get this actually fixed without having to open alsamixer after each boot?

These laptops have made me feel like a complete computer noob again.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have browsed the threads here, but the Linux ones haven't been that active.
Hmm.. what does xinput-calibrator give you when you calibrate the TS?

On my Mk6 running Zorin OS/Win8.1 it works fine.

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

Is touchscreen set to TOUCHSCREEN or TABLET in BIOS?
Set it to TABLET.
Life will beat you into submission.

User32

#4 Post by User32 »

Shawn wrote:Is touchscreen set to TOUCHSCREEN or TABLET in BIOS?
Set it to TABLET.
Or what about AUTO?

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Pull power and battery...hold switch on to drain residuals from motherboard.

Attach power cord. No battery yet. (because why is battery uses acpi. We want the thing to have very little to think about)

Boot

F2 to bios.

F9 to set defaults.

Check to see what the computer thinks is the correct setting for touch. If it set itself to AUTO/ TABLET then it will probably work. F10 to save.

or as Shawn said:

If you hand set it to TABLET then F10 to save...it will definitely work....unless the FPC is jiggled loose in the lid. (The connection between the touch panel and the TSPCB)

Jumpy mouse is due to the multi-controller seeing GPS input and thinking it is a PS/2Mouse. I find it hard to believe there is no GPS if the cursor is jumping around.
If what you are seeing is the cursor fleeing off of the page and calling it "jumpy mouse" then it make sense. Setting to tablet should cure this. You will need to edit Touch parameters in Mint if you set them with /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf.

A lot to digest here...go slow and follow the steps. :)

AND UN-PLUG YOUR USB MOUSE WHILE DOING THIS. (If you are using one)
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

what Jeff said^^^^^^^^^

SHEEPMAN!

#7 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Shawn,
If you feel like it (Shawn is sick) will you post the information on this model # from your magic search ninja files?

You probably just cut and paste from a Google search but hey! you have a reputation to uphold....and I'm frying chicken.

Thanks man,

DDBM
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

Model Number: CF-19AHUAG1M
MSRP: $3,899
Description: Win7, Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50GHz, vPro, 10.1" XGA Touch, 320GB(7200rpm), 4GB, Intel WiFi a/b/g/n, TPM, Bluetooth, Dual Pass (Upper:WWAN/Lower:WLAN), Gobi, No Drive, Toughbook Preferred

TheOdditie

#9 Post by TheOdditie »

Thanks for the input. I was able to get one of the books kind of working with touchscreen. I talked with the guy who gave them to me and found out he actually removed the GOBI from one of them and I'm guessing its the one that is kind of working. The screen isn't calibrated, so tried the screen calibration and can get one of the spots, but as soon as I touch the screen once, I can no longer click on anything. With that said, I can't hit the 2nd cross for calibration or even use the pad buttons after.

The second machine still has the mouse getting stuck to one point of the screen just as before. Both machines I followed Jeff's steps to reset the BIOS to default.

I uploaded a video to show what it's doing. Forgot about Walking Dead going on in the background.

https://youtu.be/9HO0UuKqhz0

TheOdditie

#10 Post by TheOdditie »

On a different note: yesterday I got the Chiclet keyboards for them and these things are so much easier to type on than the standard keyboard. Was so worth the money.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”