Back to experimenting with Linux

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
wyrm73

Back to experimenting with Linux

#1 Post by wyrm73 »

I took a few steps back from the IT world for a while, but I got a wild hair today and decided to give a failed Linux Mint 18 install another try. I managed to get it to boot this time and plan to use it for a bit of a learning tool. I kind of got the bug about a month ago when I built a Linux based router for my home network. It was pretty turn key, but it did get the old wheel turning again.

Attempt #1 on an old Dell latitude E6410 failed in a conversion from Windows 10. I eventually got mad at it and tried an install on the spare hard drive I have for my CF-19. That was an even more spectacular failure as I am using the TPM chip to support whole drive encryption on the Win 7 install on the main drive and I could not even get the drive to recognize. I'm not sure I want to reset the TPM chip ech time I swap drives, so this will be my guinea pig for now.

More questions to follow I am sure as I inevitably will bork this thing up a time or two playing with it. After all, it has been almost 10 years since I took my introduction to Unix class. Odd that I never did actually meet Mr. Unix, but his step-son Linux came to every class. :pbjt:

wyrm73

Re: Back to experimenting with Linux

#2 Post by wyrm73 »

You know, come to think of it, I have an old CF-28 in storage somewhere.....hmmm.......

User32

#3 Post by User32 »

wyrm73 wrote:You know, come to think of it, I have an old CF-28 in storage somewhere.....hmmm.......
28 is pretty useless in '16, tbh.

Why not get a cheap 19/30 from eBay and start experimenting with that?

wyrm73

#4 Post by wyrm73 »

I already have a 19. I just have to do some homework for a workable solution for the TPM chip when I swap hard drives. Its main purpose is for use on military duty and I like to use the whole drive encryption built into Windows.

While I understand that a 28 won't be much for daily use (thus why it is in storage in the first place), the price is right and IMO it is a valid learning experience to strip an installation down to work with older hardware. It teaches you what you can and cannot live without and gives a better familiarity with the dependent packages for each application. I may ultimately have to revert back to some older or smaller distros to even get it to load, but once again it is more for the learning process and morbid curiosity factor. Or is that masochistic factor? :)

User32

#5 Post by User32 »

wyrm73 wrote:I already have a 19. I just have to do some homework for a workable solution for the TPM chip when I swap hard drives. Its main purpose is for use on military duty and I like to use the whole drive encryption built into Windows.

While I understand that a 28 won't be much for daily use (thus why it is in storage in the first place), the price is right and IMO it is a valid learning experience to strip an installation down to work with older hardware. It teaches you what you can and cannot live without and gives a better familiarity with the dependent packages for each application. I may ultimately have to revert back to some older or smaller distros to even get it to load, but once again it is more for the learning process and morbid curiosity factor. Or is that masochistic factor? :)
Just disable your TPM, it's a botnet thing anyway and use VeraCrypt instead.

Oh, and ditch Windows for something like Ubuntu with LUKS.

SHEEPMAN!

#6 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Stay away from Ubuntu 16.04 for a while.....and other flavors that contain it....Like Mint 18 for CF-31.

Mint 17.2/3 or LMDE are smooth as glass.

My only success so far is a MK-2 CF-29. There is a glitch in the Pulse Audio or (less likely) Alsamixer.

This should not be a concern unless you are using the same USB in CF-29 and CF-31. Which is what I want to do.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

Install Antix on the CF 28

The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 256MB old PIII systems with pre-configured swap to the latest powerful boxes. 256MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. The installer needs minimum 2.7GB hard disk size. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd. Special XFCE editions made in collaboration with the MEPIS Community called MX-15 "Fusion" (released 24 December 2015) and MX-14 "Symbiosis" (released March 24, 2014) are also available. antiX MX series has a separate development schedule to antiX.
Life will beat you into submission.

SHEEPMAN!

#8 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Yes indeed. For something that just works...MX-14 and 15 are straight-forward install.

I run it on CF-30/31 and CF-52/53 in addition to the oldies but goodies.

Do you have a floppy drive for the 28? I highly recommend having one with a bootable PlopLinux version on the floppy. This is to allow USB install on the 28 and early 29...for those that don't know it. (Doable of course with bootable Plop on a CD or DVD also or even on the hdd) A waste of disk space as PlopLinux will run from 1.44 floppy.

(MX-15 xfce on CF-30 MK3)

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux mx15 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u1 (2016-09-03) i686 GNU/Linux
but:
I have a CF-29 MK2 sitting here with Mint 18. A little slow and draggy. SOUND works.

Thanks Shawn...good call.

Jeff
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

wyrm73

#9 Post by wyrm73 »

I think it has a CD and floppy. I can't remember for sure. I might have to give that one a try.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”