Linux Mint on the CF-31

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
droppointalpha

Linux Mint on the CF-31

#1 Post by droppointalpha »

Ok, First, I will edit this with the model number when I restart the computer.

I pulled my SSD in caddy from my CF-30 to install on the newly arrived CF-31 (mk1 w/ ATI graphics). OS is Mint 17.2 w/MATE. Main portion of drive is encrypted (LUKS)

Trouble- From bios, blank screen on boot sequence. Would normally expect Mint logo and request for encryption password.

Went into bios and forced power saving intergrated graphics and AHCI and then opted at grub to boot in recovery mode. Text mode here seemed a bit buggy but managed to get passphrase in.

System hangs on load up. I have to try "fix" a / filesystem issue (it always autoloaded past this message on the CF-30). Another wait/skip message appears but the system gets on with it.

Load into Mint fine from here after log in. FN key to reduce brightness does not work (1100 nit is painful to look at- will try changing this setting in BIOS from Maximum retina searing mode)

Wireless works fine and I am attempting to hardware check and get any drivers needed, like if the ATI card needs a driver.

From here, I'll try a restart and see if the boot up behaves normally. I'll also edit this post at the top for model number and specific Mint version (I do have two options under advanced for build 38 and 37).

If not, I'll try notate and post a second entry with observed hang ups.

Shawn

Re: Linux Mint on the CF-31

#2 Post by Shawn »

CF30 to CF31 is a huge jump in hardware.
Proper solution in my opinion is to reinstall OS.

That being said, I have done what you are attempting on windows boxes.
I uninstall the old drivers while the HDD is in the old machine, then I force install the new machines drivers while the HDD is still in the old machine.
Shut it down and swap the HDD into the new machine.
Life will beat you into submission.

SHEEPMAN!

#3 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Do you have the disk/stick for 17.2? You might try it Live for a bit.

Maybe use it to help diagnose the issue/s.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

droppointalpha

#4 Post by droppointalpha »

ADDENDUM- Typed this while trouble shooting. Did not see new posts yet. Will leave below report as is for now.

Okay, 17.2 W/ MATE 32bit Kernel 3.16.0-38 (other option is -37 kernel)

model is a CF-31AAP192M

Setting BIOS to performance model gives me some screen flash and nothing. (Screen not even back lit). Switchable is giving me the GRUB menu where I have stopped to record the above info.

Was forcing internal LCD in BIOS. Switching to external (auto detect mode) allows forced performance mode to show encryption screen. Continuing on this vein.

Load to desktop good. System control of fan on boot up does not appear great, as temp monitor reports high temps across the board. Need to figure out which temp sensors are what on this thing.

Playing a video shows high temps on the cores 88*C according to the applet I'm using. Fans cycles a little bit. Wondering if temp reports are accurate. CPU usages are all low and hover at 50% or less during playback.

Okay- will continue testing.

droppointalpha

#5 Post by droppointalpha »

OK- on normal brightness mode in BIOS, screen dimming is now usable from FN keys in Mint

Screen calibration had to be redone but was surprisingly close

commencing new restart to test final settings

restart from OS does not go well in forced performance mode... blank screen. Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart again makes it work fine. Trying switchable mode next.

Switchable gives no visual on encryption screen on first go around. Blind typing got me to OS login screen like normal. All appears to work fine. Commence restart from OS. Same blank screen for encryption. Boot continues normal. Next power saving mode.

Power save shows encryption screen. All works normal.

Last two modes, video play does not result in high temps. Will test restart from OS on power save, then return to performance and test temp reporting again.

droppointalpha

#6 Post by droppointalpha »

Power save mode restart from OS good. Encrypt screen comes up and boot to OS login good. Dialed up temp report freq. Temps spike up and return to normal swiftly on start up. I think it is learning.

Performance mode from BIOS edit- white screen instead of black now. No good. typing passphrase does nothing. Returning to switchable and will check temp applet to see if it still reports extra sensor I suspect is the ATI card (power save, the sensor count was down by one)

Switchable still blank screen but encryption input blind works as usual. Perhaps a fun unintended feature?

Extra temp sensor DOES show up in switchable. Guessing ATI card usage will be done from "switchable" mode. Attempting to online sensor produces error. Sensor not reporting? Will the system online it under demand? Or is it slaved to HDMI only? Error msg does confirm it is the ATI ("Radeon")

droppointalpha

#7 Post by droppointalpha »

Display speed seems slower in switchable that power save. Will reboot and confirm.

Confirmed- power save is very fast. Must be some conflict with the ATI part on but not operating. lsmod and temp applet confirm Radeon is not online.

SHEEPMAN!

#8 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Old history: For CF-30 but may apply.

MK 1 had minor acpi issues
MK 2 had no issues
MK 3 had screen flash

On to CF-31 MK1 had issues but not same as MK3
MK 2 no issues but changed to Interlink Touchpad
MK 3 had flashy issues.

The point: Can acpi be part of your problems?

Good reporting. :)

droppointalpha

#9 Post by droppointalpha »

Sadlmkr wrote:Old history: For CF-30 but may apply.

MK 1 had minor acpi issues
MK 2 had no issues
MK 3 had screen flash

On to CF-31 MK1 had issues but not same as MK3
MK 2 no issues but changed to Interlink Touchpad
MK 3 had flashy issues.

The point: Can acpi be part of your problems?

Good reporting. :)
Have the CF-30 mk2 (where the SSD came out).

This 31 is a Mk1

Screen flash only occurs with ATI card made available/forced. When in power save mode, unit exhibits no undesirable screen performance.

I am unable to diagnose myself ACPI issues if present. Not that technical. However, if there are logs or outputs you'd like me to pull, I can do so and report here.

Other notes- touchpad works fine, no tuning required.

Performance is fantastic in mint w/o ATI card. The ATI card will be useful when I have the windows caddy loaded and want to play games or something in those long hotel nights.

Moving the SSD in its caddy from the CF-30 to the 31 was painless once BIOS settings were known. Only odd thing is that saved wifi network information doesn't get auto used. Instead, the system creates a new profile for each wifi I connect to and requires me to copy the password over.

The screen is painfully bright. NASA called asking if I could dim it so they can use their telescopes.

VMs do not result in core melt downs thus far.

Overall, a great step up.

Any other tests or observations that I can make, please post up and I'll notate what I can for you all and help further the knowledge base.

SHEEPMAN!

#10 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Never mind. I just lost thirty minutes of text by not watching battery. Maybe tomorrow. :doh:

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”