GRUB Rescue

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Bill_TN

Re: GRUB Rescue

#11 Post by Bill_TN »

Well as much help as most of you all have been, glad I could help a little bit in return.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Azrial

#12 Post by Azrial »

Shawn wrote: this must be an Apple?
I don't have an "Apple"or iAnything! :lauging:
kode-niner wrote:I've used boot-repair-disk at least twice on some seriously hosed servers. It should do the trick. Good luck!
Thanks, I have tried it, but when I get to the splash screen it just keeps asking me for my USER Name and PASSWORD, but as this is a dual boot, Win7x64/Ubuntu x64 PC, there is no password at the GRUB boot Menu. It short, I do not believe that this repair option will work with a dual boot machine.

UPDATE: OK, I tried this with a FAILSAFE Option, and it fixed my MBR, but there is no mention of GRUB2 or Ubuntu Linux! I am unsure if Ubuntu is even still there.

Thanks for the rest of the suggestions!
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

kode-niner

#13 Post by kode-niner »

Strange. boot-disk-repair does in fact support multi-boot systems and should detect them if they are not too corrupt. I think the user/password was root/root or root with no password. If you manage to get in instead of going through the failsafe option, you'll get to the boot repair utility that has options for re-creating GRUB.
Daily drives a CF-31

Shawn

#14 Post by Shawn »

Passwords on the repair utilities ..ugh.
Life will beat you into submission.

kode-niner

#15 Post by kode-niner »

Shawn wrote:Passwords on the repair utilities ..ugh.
That's a silly thing to do but excusable if there were clearly available documentation, which there isn't.
Daily drives a CF-31

SHEEPMAN!

#16 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I've seen root/toor in places. Or root/[enter]no password IOW. (General comment not related to these disks)

Hour download of tux utility yielded two coasters. Not complaining just saying.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Azrial

#17 Post by Azrial »

Well as I edited above, when I tried boot-repair-disk with the FAILSAFE Option, and it fixed my MBR, at least as far a Windows7. It no longer asked for a password, but it hosed my Ubuntu 15.04 installation!

GRUB2 and Ubuntu Linux are both gone. So, with Win7x64 now booting, I decided to follow the advice of my good friends here and try Mint 17, as it is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Big mistake, very buggy, makes XP SP1 look "stable" and Cinnamon is always crashing and going into to "Fallback Mode" from which there is no way to shut down the PC. After all the phrase I have read for Mint, I am disappointed and surprised. But, as you all can't be wrong, I am now thinking that there is something wrong with this PC! It of course have the 2-3 generation old Ubuntu problem with nVidia Video cards!

The real problem is that I am going in the hospital Wednesday and this was supposed to be my "Entertainment PC" (Not a Toughbook, a desktop) hooked up to the bigscreen LCD and all. Well I have tonight and part of tomorrow to resolve this, we will see how it goes!

And as Jeff said, not complaining, just saying. But i did get both referenced programs in this thread to download, burn, boot and run! Just neither of them brought Ubuntu/GRUB2 back!
Last edited by Azrial on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Bill_TN

#18 Post by Bill_TN »

tux utility? Not ringing any bells here. I just use these disks for repair. I also keep copies of Hiren's , UBCD , and that about covers it for my tool box. Keep thinking there's one more but can't quite remember. As for useing the programs....... Heck I have to look it all up each time.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

Bill_TN

#19 Post by Bill_TN »

Well Mint 17 is actually old and I think the latest is 17.3 other than the Nvidia issue, I've never had Cinn Mint fail me. There's always LXLE. It even comes with a few games. I run it on my I-mac. I have a few crapples but all have been cored and run Linux . I even have a hdd that is dual microcrap and mint cinn for the I-mac.

Azrial

#20 Post by Azrial »

Bill_TN wrote:Well Mint 17 is actually old and I think the latest is 17.3 other than the Nvidia issue, I've never had Cinn Mint fail me. There's always LXLE. It even comes with a few games. I run it on my I-mac. I have a few crapples but all have been cored and run Linux . I even have a hdd that is dual microcrap and mint cinn for the I-mac.
I am dual booting Win7x64 Home Premium and Linux Mint 17.3, codename "Rosa" with the Cinnamon GUI on a AMD Sempron x64 CPU with 4 GB of RAM.

No Apple anything here! (Thanks Shawn for the confusion! LoL)

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”