GRUB Rescue

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
kode-niner

Re: GRUB Rescue

#21 Post by kode-niner »

Azrial wrote: GRUB2 and Ubuntu Linux are both gone.
It's not hopeless yet. The partition isn't destroyed just because GRUB bought the farm. You should really have tried to use boot-repair-disk with the password suggestions and not use the failsafe option. Failsafe goes for the first working OS in the first partition and stops looking. To detect Linux in a secondary partition and re-install GRUB you'd have to run the boot repair GUI. I'm quite sure it was root with no password.

Otherwise if you have a bootable LIVE Ubuntu CD or USB, same utility:
Recovering Ubuntu After Installing Windows.

Or a Mint live CD or USB, look at this:
Restore Grub Boot Loader in Linux Mint After Installing Windows

Edit: oh wait, too late? You zapped Ubuntu and went with Mint?
Daily drives a CF-31

Shawn

#22 Post by Shawn »

Azrial wrote:.....

No Apple anything here! (Thanks Shawn for the confusion! LoL)
I guess no one got the joke. The woman in the photo is biting the computer. Like biting an apple!
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#23 Post by Bill_TN »

"I am dual booting Win7x64 Home Premium and Linux Mint 17.3, codename "Rosa" with the Cinnamon GUI on a AMD Sempron x64 CPU with 4 GB of RAM.

No Apple anything here! (Thanks Shawn for the confusion! LoL)"

Nope, wasn't confused. Was just stating that Linux and Microcrap can run on Apples equipment. Linux does a better job of it than MS.
I use the Cinn mint on a few old machines myself. no probs. Well hope it works out for you. For vid issues go to menu, administration, and try driver manager. See what it does.

Yea Shawn I got the joke. Would have been easier is she was a "bottle blonde" .
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Azrial

#24 Post by Azrial »

The Video issue was solved by installing the Nvidia drivers. This has been a bug in Ubuntu for the last few versions.

I assumed that if you knew the passwords, you would have told me about them when you refereed me to the program and frankly, I was pushed for time. Also the Failsafe version of the program deleted the Linux partition.

I have it up and running now. I had both machines accessing "My Documents" on the Windows side so I lost very little data. Thanks for the help!
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Bill_TN

#25 Post by Bill_TN »

Well haven't needed to use the programs in quite a long time. So just remembered that they worked and where to find them.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”