SOLVED - Need help with printer-LMDE2

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Shawn

Re: Need help with printer-LMDE2

#11 Post by Shawn »

This?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=504643

How to install the Canon 550i/580i/950i/ and iP90 printer

*The iP90 printer uses the 550i driver.

The first step is to open up your source list and add this to it
Code:

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./

If you don't know how to open up your source list you can do it by putting this in the terminal

Code:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

you can use whatever text editor you like to edit your source list.

After adding that to your source list you need to do this in the terminal

Code:

sudo apt-get update

Next you need to install these files
Code:

sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.2 bjfilter-2.2 pstocanonbj

Cupsys will be automatically restarted and you can select printer in cupsys configuration which is
http://localhost:631 or if you don't want to do that you can go to System>Admistration>Printer>Add Printer.

To add the printer through the cups, the first thing you do is click on add a printer. The next screen will ask you for the name of you printer, location and description the ony thing you really have to fill in is the name. After you done filling in the information click continue. The next page is asks you to select your printer. Hit continue and then it will ask you for your driver, select the Canon Pixus xxx ver.2.2 then click on add printer .

To add the printer the other way once you click on add printer a new window will open up that say's add a printer at the top and Step 1 of 3: Printer connection. As long as your printer is turned on it should show up in "Use a detected printer", if it doesn't you can select it in "Use another printer by specifying a port" and selecting your printer then click forward. The next page is where you select the printer driver. The manufacturer is Canon if it already isn't selected and the Driver is Pixus xxx ver.2.2 then click forward. Finally the next screen is the printer information you don't really have to worry about filling in the rest of the information if you don't want to just click "Apply" and now your printer should show up under printers.

Right click on your printer and then click on Print a Test Page and your printer should crank out a test page, if it doesn't please let me know and we can try to figure out why.

This works on Ubuntu Edgy and Feisty and if you run into any problems feel free to ask questions.

Life will beat you into submission.

SHEEPMAN!

#12 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Very well done sir.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#13 Post by Shawn »

----thanks----

mklym

#14 Post by mklym »

Thank you Shawn.

When I go through the instructions, all goes well until I go to install "sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.2 bjfilter-2.2 pstocanonbj" and end with this in terminal:

"morgan@cf-52gunlmde2 ~ $ sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.2 bjfilter-2.2 pstocanonbj
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
bjfilter-2.2:i386 : Depends: libtiff4:i386 but it is not installable
pstocanonbj:i386 : Depends: libcupsys2:i386 (>= 1.2.3) but it is not installable
Depends: cupsys:i386 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
morgan@cf-52gunlmde2 ~ $ "

I guess things have changed since 2007 when the thread was written.

This is fuquing ridicules. I guess people use printers less every day and the LMDE2 Betsy developers decided that there was no need to enable installing printers, without jumping though a bunch of hoops. Seems I am out of hoops or can't jump well enough.

If I can't get this figured out soon, it will be boot from live dvd, format the ssd to get rid of LMDE2 and install the W7 ssd.

You know, this is the same type of problem I had when I first started playing with Linux back in 1998. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Jeff and Shawn, I appreciate the effort and help.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

mklym

#15 Post by mklym »

So just for the hell of it I tried adding a printer though http://localhost:631. First I tried selecting the iP90 printer from the list. Long story short, did not work. Deleted that printer and did it again but selected the iP2000 printer as per the thread Shawn posted, but from one of the replies. Long story short, it works, printed the test page okay, then printed a test text file okay.

At this point I am calling it done.

Thanks again to Jeff and Shawn for the help.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Shawn

Re: SOLVED - Need help with printer-LMDE2

#16 Post by Shawn »

groovy.

mklym

#17 Post by mklym »

Yes it is, so much so that I tried my hand at installing my Canon LiDE 25 flatbed scanner. Success on the first go at it. Now I might scan the hard copy of the service manual for the Hesston 560 round baler I am working on.

kode-niner

#18 Post by kode-niner »

mklym wrote:Yes it is, so much so that I tried my hand at installing my Canon LiDE 25 flatbed scanner. Success on the first go at it. Now I might scan the hard copy of the service manual for the Hesston 560 round baler I am working on.
How'd you do it? I have to boot Win7 when I need to scan with my LiDE. What little research I've googled up says that it shouldn't work on Linux.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#19 Post by mklym »

As I recall, I used Synaptic Package Manager and searched for "scanner" and then installed the 'sane' and 'xsane' programs. I don't recall any hoops to jump through, like when I installed the printer. I was surprised how painlessly the whole process was.
if you can't get it working, let me know and I will uninstall the scanner software and install again while taking notes.

HTH

kode-niner

#20 Post by kode-niner »

I have those installed already. Apparently my LiDE 90 is unsupported but the 25 is. I bought the wrong model :(

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

It's particularly vexing that the 90 is supported by Mac OSX.
Last edited by kode-niner on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”