laptop-mode-tools pkg

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
glitch

laptop-mode-tools pkg

#1 Post by glitch »

As I wait for my next CF-H1 (just purchased off e-bait) to come in I was checking on tablet specific linux stuff.

I ran across the laptop-mode-tools package. It allows better control of functions related to battery life, like spinning down the hdd longer, lcd screen control, etc.

I normally control these through the settings menu. ( I run Debian/KDE mostly )

Has anyone used this package and did you like it?

I am planning to use the H1 for school note taking. The H1 I have does not have a sdd in it so I have never used it.
Currently I use a 19 for note taking (with Xournal) but think the H1 being a little lighter might work well.

Advice? Comments?

edit -- I loaded laptop-mode-tools planning to set it up later and it hindered (broke?) my startup. I recovered but it messes with quite a few things. Moral of the story is dont tinker right before class when you need your laptop... :pat:
glitch

CF-19 Mk-1 / CF-M34 / CF-27 / CF-28 / CF-29 Mk-1 / CF-H1 Field/Health

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

Karl Klammer

Re: laptop-mode-tools pkg

#2 Post by Karl Klammer »

Intels powertop package shows guesstimated power consumption and allows tweaking of lots of related system/kernel settings.

I love Linux, but Windows has the killer app for note taking: OneNote
- The included OCR/handwriting recognition is quite amazing.
- Audio recording with speech recognition is also fairly good.
You search for a word and it will jump right into your recording, starting 10 sec prior to that word.
- It's free (as in beer), scales very well (mine has 30gb) and just dosn't get in the way.

TLDR: I highly recommend to give OneNote a serious testrun.

glitch

#3 Post by glitch »

Karl,

You didn't know my feelings about M$ so don't take this personally.

One note is ok except like all M$ products, I don't use them (unless I cant avoid it, ie job). As they push, I mean PUSH WINDOWS 10, more and more I refuse to use them. I live in the country and have a satellite for Internet. They wasted over 45% of my bandwidth after I said "NO" to W10 on my wifes machine. Just so I would "Have a good upgrade experience". W10 has been installed after saying "NO" on several computers that I know of.

In some relationships thats what is called "rape", and M$ made a rape joke during an xbox thing. Google it.

So I will NOT be trying One note out. (I have looked at it in the past)

If you think I am being harsh all I can say is I am trying to be restrained in this post so I don't get banned.
To the moderators I will change the wording but not the content if you need me to. Its called standing on a principal.

If I have offended anyone (except M$) I apologize.
glitch

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

Karl Klammer

#4 Post by Karl Klammer »

Hi glitch,

I used to share that sentiment in an even more hardcore fashion myself:
OpenBSD on work laptop (as employed consultant) because anything GPL would be to restricted for my taste.
I still admire Mr. Stallman for - amongst other things - refusing to carry a cell phone - or "personal tracking device" as he would call it.

Then ... then I became a sellout/freelancer - ironically mostly for telcos/gsm-carriers -,
wich kinda "made me more pragmatic" in order to keep up/handle/bear with all the business bullshit like talking to procurement/HR/business people. (german: Businesskasper)

So, no offense taken, at all.

Anyway, does powertop do the trick for you? Or is it a non-option due to Intel being evil?

glitch

#5 Post by glitch »

M$ holds my contempt, that should be obvious, It was not just the latest crap. But Intel
doesn't bother me. But I got really off topic, sorry.

So back on topic, the Atom processor may respond really well to powertop. I dont know
which will work better, it or the other package. I have alway setup laptops and not tablets
so this is a trial and error thing.

Trying to be smarter I wanted to learn from other peoples mistakes...

Being a tablet sort of thing I wanted the H1 to sleep or hibernate easily and not constantly
be rebooting. I think the batteries are hot swappable and I will have 4 total but if it would run
through all of my classes (about 4 hours) without swapping or restarting that would be great.

edit -- Thats 4 hours of constant use, not just sitting there. I looked up specs last night and the batteries
are hot swap, but it also said ~7 hours run time which is what I thought I remembered.
glitch

kode-niner

#6 Post by kode-niner »

I used to have laptop-mode-tools and also used powertop on my netbooks under atom processors. Right now I'm not using it on any of my Toughbooks and have gotten used to dimming the screen manually and leaving the CPU governor "on demand". Personally I find it annoying when the OS automatically decides how your system should behave depending on if it's plugged in or running on battery.

I've started a thread on power saving a while back here but sort of neglected it. It used to be an obsession back in my netbook days when friends would compare power drain stats and techniques used to achieve the lowest draw. Right now I've setup my systems with merely launching a "powertop --auto-tune" in an init script somewhere and bob's your uncle.
Daily drives a CF-31

kode-niner

#7 Post by kode-niner »

To help EdFromBJCS and his lid wakeup issue in another thread here, I was wondering if anyone knows how to grab this package on *buntu.
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”