emperor linux..

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Karl Klammer

Re: emperor linux..

#11 Post by Karl Klammer »

linux = the linux kernel
empkernel or emporer kernel = the emporer version of the linux kernel

linux distribution = kernel and all the other stuff that make up a full operating system
emporer linux = fedora linux (free version of redhat linux) with emporer kernel, emptool utility and probably some other stuff and tweaks

EmporerLinux Inc is not quite sure if they offer a EmporerLinux distribution or not.
They offer conflicting views on their website.

quoting http://www.emperorlinux.com/faq/?cat=15#3
Q: Is this a new Linux distribution? ( by ldurey on Oct 11 04, 13:54 )
A: The short answer is, "No, EmperorLinux is not a Linux distribution."
We are a value added reseller of top tier laptop computers with Linux pre-installed and pre-configured.

EmperorLinux provides service and support to the Linux laptop community, pre-installing the major Linux distributions (such as Fedora, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Debian, SuSE, Slackware, and Mandrake) on laptop and notebook computers produced by major manufacturers (such as Dell, Lenovo, Panasonic, Sony, and Sharp).

We do collect software packages above and beyond the base installations of these distributions and recompile the kernel in order to make all the hardware on cutting-edge laptops and notebooks work under Linux. However, we have not collected these changes into our own "EmperorLinux Distribution." Because of the highly changeable nature of cutting-edge portable computers, this simply isn't feasible. We also believe that you should be able to get a supported laptop with the Linux distribution you are familiar with.
quoting http://www.emperorlinux.com/quality/value/distros/
EmperorLinux $0
Our own EmperorLinux is based on the latest Fedora (released every 6 months), specially modified for optimal performance in a portable environment. We tailor the system to best meet the needs of our customers, including the addition of our own custom kernel (the empkernel) and laptop-specific utilities to make using Linux on a laptop that much more enjoyable. EmperorLinux is fully compatible with all the most popular RPM updating applications (including up2date, Yum, and RHN) so if you have used Red Hat in the past, then we will recommend the Fedora-based EmperorLinux to you. We also offer older Fedora releases (depending on your hardware) if your company or research lab has standardized on those earlier versions.

so, install the latest fedora linux distribution
install the empkernel (binary rpm probably okay, no need to recompile if you are using the same fedora version that emporer linux is based on)
install emptool
install all laptop stuff from yum / rpm package manager
add some toughbook wallpaper
... and you should be pretty close to the real thing[tm] ;-)

You can also ship them your system and they will install emporerlinux for you:
http://www.emperorlinux.com/depot/
then you copy the disk with dd or partition magic and have as many emporerlinuxes as you want

SHEEPMAN!

#12 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Question: How many Toughbook users are using Fedora? Red Hat? Please respond.

Me, this is me only ......"I have not used Fedora nor Redhat"...........I have nothing against them, I just started elsewhere.

Meanwhile:
so, install the latest fedora linux distribution
install the empkernel (binary rpm probably okay, no need to recompile if you are using the same fedora version that emporer linux is based on)
install emptool
install all laptop stuff from yum / rpm package manager
add some toughbook wallpaper
... and you should be pretty close to the real thing[tm] ;-)

You can also ship them your system and they will install emporerlinux for you:
http://www.emperorlinux.com/depot/
then you copy the disk with dd or partition magic and have as many emporerlinuxes as you want
Karl, are you sure that you are using an interpretation device? Thanks mate.......good post!
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Karl Klammer

#13 Post by Karl Klammer »

Hi Sadlmkr,

glad to help.

Not sure what is meant by "are you sure that you are using an interpretation device?".
This broken english is 100% me, not using babelfish or anything ;-)

Trying to answer your question on Redhat usage:
Redhat RHEL and SuSE SLES are the dominant backend/production-Linuxes in Germany.
IT managers tend to choose them as they have been around for a long time and offer a crappy corporate support contract.
Think along the lines of "Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM" .

Ubuntu and K/L/Xubuntu are the dominant desktop/developer-Linuxes, as they offer more ease-of-use, bigger software collection and more recent releases of that software collection.

Adding additional unix blabla on top of that answer (not sure why, just feel like it):
My personal Linux preference is Debian due to
- better dependency management within DEB packages as compared to RPM
- lack of "userfriendly stuff" that messes with my shell scripting ... e.g. network manager ... this might no longer be true, as they have switched to systemd hell for the latest release (jessie)
- big collection of stable, tested software
- it used to be "the universal [server] operating system" when I started my unix addiction in the last millenium

Sophos UTM - formerly Astaro Security Linux - is a great tool for protecting a corporate network with lots of clueless users from themselves.
It has way to many features to be a carrier-grade security solution (more features=more attack surface),
but is great for protecting end users due to really odd and fun things like "transparent email encryption" with SPX and centralized device management (think BYOD).

I also like OpenBSD and Solaris a lot.
OpenBSD is marketed as beeing super secure, which it probably is, altough my reason for OpenBSD is this zen-like cleanliness of the system.
It's getting harder to find and argument for a corporate usecase of OpenBSD over Linux, though.
Oh I also like how nice and poetic the syntax for PF firewall and Systrace are...

Solaris due to ZFS with native encryption.
Solaris also has other cool stuff like SMF, Dtrace and Crossbow, but I'm not yet familar with them.

Seasons Greetings,
Santa Karl

UNCNDL1

#14 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I'm pretty sure Glitch has been using RedHat on some Toughbooks.
I've never tried (yet) but that's because I like the Debian based versions that seem to just "work" on the toughbooks.
Mint is now the third largest operating system behind MS and Apple. LMDE Betsy and 17.3 Rosa XFCE work on a CF-29 this weekend.
OpenSource link from their web site:
http://www.redhat.com/en/open-source
"Fedora is a fast, stable, and powerful operating system for everyday use, built by a worldwide community. It's completely free to use, study, and share."
"RDO is a community of people using and deploying OpenStack® on Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, Fedora, and distributions derived from these (such as CentOS, Scientific Linux, and others). "
"Community-driven projects featuring the latest innovations for cutting-edge apps. Our flagship project, JBoss® AS, is the leading open source, standards-compliant, Java™ EE-based application server implemented in 100% Pure Java."
Interesting read, the distributions derived from Red Hat, Fedora, etc. such as CentOS & Scientific Linux might be a good starting point if interested:
http://www.scientificlinux.org/
Note, SL6 has 32 and 64 bit download versions. There is a net install, a mini cd iso install, a cd install, a dvd install...check the "readme" section before downloading and burning. I made a mini cd iso version and the cd install, they burned to cd using k3b on the 52 GUN., I'm now on the DVD version which I believe is the "full version", booted up just fine and found my wireless network. Not sure it's what you were looking for Shawn, bt it does work just fine.
Take care...

At work, gotta go, cheers
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

kode-niner

#15 Post by kode-niner »

Ah, the good 'ole days when package managers were either crap or nonexistent and you had to compile EVERYTHING.
</nostalgia>
Daily drives a CF-31

glitch

#16 Post by glitch »

Yes I have run Fedora on TB's. Pre 18 Fedora can be grumpy to install.

I have run multiple Debian based, Fedora17-21, #!, and I even got Android to run on a 29, full install on a freshly wiped hdd.

The install is the difficult part. Most work after that. Except Slackware, never did get that installer to work on a TB.
glitch

CF-19 Mk-1 / CF-M34 / CF-27 / CF-28 / CF-29 Mk-1 / CF-H1 Field/Health

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”