Linux's worst enemy

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Shawn

Re: Linux's worst enemy

#21 Post by Shawn »

I found this write ups. I thought they were interesting enough to repost.
From HERE...http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/ ... try-pc-bsd?

Winfried Maus • 8 months ago

So... Linux users think about moving to another OS because a low-level feature like systemd is not to their liking? That says a lot about the Linux community - and about the fact that Linux does not have users that live in the normal world where OS X and Windows users live - because those neither know what you are talking about, nor would they care. Users want to use applications, they are not interested in operating systems and they are even less interested in "a suite of system management daemons, libraries, and utilities" and would change their computing platform because of it.
After almost three decades of development, these things are still a topic of discussion in the Linux ecosystem - which is fine when you are talking about Linux as a server and appliance platform. But it is a total no-go when you try to position Linux as a desktop environment.
Desktops are application launchers and simple foundation for creating and consuming content - and that is something the Linux desktop still fails so miserably at because you are still having geeky discussions about basic technical issues.

Nobody uses Linux or FreeBSD on the desktop because neither has what users are really interested in: User-friendly and useful applications.

Heck, if it weren't for Mozilla and Google, Linux would not even have a usable web browser.
Last edited by Shawn on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life will beat you into submission.

Shawn

#22 Post by Shawn »

This page shows some screen shots of an older version of PC-BSD...http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/02/07/pc-bsd ... on-review/

Same site..A different commenter...

CashMcCall

You nailed it. I regard Linux as an unmade bed that will never be made. And you are dead on it... Linux and Free BSD users just have wonderment over the OS, and it is useless, jargon filled waste of time. There is nothing that OSX or Windows can't do better for the simple reason it is intuitive.

A simple example. What does a computer user really want? Drag and drop. We want to drag music, movies, and other files from a thumb drive or external source and plop them in a folder of our choosing in a place where we can find it. We programs to open and operate when we order them or when we double click. How difficult is this? Window and OSX do it easily. But in BSD you are marching to the command line. I had enough of that was DOS. I am not interested in knowing that much about something useless. A more apt example is using a standard transmission or an automatic. Even drag racers use automatic transmissions now. I am not interested in jamming gears to move files around and copy files to a folder or copy and paste files to places I want to put them.

Linux is simply garbage. But the most infuriating side of BSD and Linux is the absurd assumption that if you are willing to go to the command line and recited in some cryptic code you are somehow more intelligent than other users. Balls. I use my computers for video and audio editing. Those are complex programs that I just want to work. I don't have time to waste on some crazy nuance just to move a file to a thumb drive. I am preforming artistic work and I don't want the bloody inconvenience of wasting my valuable time.

BDS has a powerful clean 64 bit framework. It is essentially the under-girding of OSX. But by God how a world of confused C ++ programmers can't easily duplicate the OSX GUI interface is incomprehensible. Linux on the other hand is garbage and does not have a single area where it can claim supremacy to windows or OSX.

PC BSD is a nice solid interface that has some practical application but no significant drag and drop FROM THE BSD to the thumb drive. No problem dragging from the flash drive to BSD. If they smooth this out, then it will be a solid platform for multimedia, internet surfing, etc. But it still needs work.

Shawn

#23 Post by Shawn »

Pics

Karl Klammer

#24 Post by Karl Klammer »

What Unix Gets Wrong
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup ... 01s04.html

What Unix Gets Right
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup ... 01s05.html

Master Foo Discourses on the Graphical User Interface
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup ... ammer.html

Master Foo and the End User
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup ... -user.html

Master Foo Discourses on the Unix-Nature
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup ... ature.html

TLDR: different strokes for different folks ;-)

BR,
Karl Klammer

Shawn

#25 Post by Shawn »

Good reads...

So Unix and therefore Linux was designed to be a PITA..

Karl Klammer

#26 Post by Karl Klammer »

well, yes and no
a PITA for the average end user
a blessing for shell scripting and systems automation

Oversimplified:
On Windows (and partially OSX), the main way of interaction is the GUI and thus much effort is put into improving it.
On Unix systems, the GUI ist just another way, no more or less important than the shell or APIs for different programming languages, and thus does usually not get that level of attention.
Also, fragmentation is a big issue. OSX and Windows have to support only one Desktop Environment, whereas there are a sh*tload of different frameworks on unix. http://www.wired.com/2012/08/osx-killed-linux/

unix systems have come a long way, tough.
OSX runs on a modified freebsd/Darwin kernel and it's pure eye-candy
The full blown KDE and Gnome desktop environments actually implement something like the Windows Registry and support many drag&drop scenarios - alas less than Windows or OSX.
It seems that the lighter/faster/more standalone a Desktop Environment, the less likely it is to support many of these rather advanced interconnect/integrative features. e.g. OSX Aqua -> KDE -> XFCE -> WindowMaker -> wmii

windows systems have also come a long way
since windows server 2008 (2012 ?), microsoft actually recommends to install WITHOUT GUI and use powershell as well as active directory group policies to work the system

BR,
Karl Klammer

Shawn

#27 Post by Shawn »

So as I understand.
Unix/BSD/Linux is driven by the server market not the desktop market. The desktop GUI is an afterthought by the BIG designers. Hence most are designed/tweaked by low/zero budget "developers"
Other than Apple and OSX which in Star Trek terms "Has gone where no one else has" Apple is the only one to contribute the time and money to "Make it so".
In order to get a good GUI and desktop you must sacrifice something. The sacrifice is the flexibility. OSX has sacrificed flexibility to the extreme.

If OSX had slightly better hardware support, I would jump on board and never look back. I can't get OSX to fully work on a Toughbook. Usually it's wifi issues as Toughbooks use Intel and Apple does not support Intel Wifi. There may be hope for the CF31 as some models use a 100mw Broadcom wlan card.

Karl Klammer

#28 Post by Karl Klammer »

yeah, it's unfortunate that osx86 is not working as well on toughbooks as the 2008 ToughMac video might suggest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAb01sEogQM

i'd love to have a (current) osx on my cf19...
omnifocus + ms office(onenote,excel) + gnu userland would rock my world

BR,
Karl Klammer

Shawn

#29 Post by Shawn »

I really wanted OSX on my CF 52 or my CF53 but all attempts have failed.
My CF31 and CF19 both have GPS which I use often.

Shawn

#30 Post by Shawn »

Will OSX run a Windows program?
Under something similar to Wine?
If that program exists, how does it handle serial ports?

I am asking because I am curious about OSX running a serial GPS. Linux seems to fail at this.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”