Making some changes

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
droppointalpha

Making some changes

#1 Post by droppointalpha »

So I'm getting to my wit's end with Win7 occupying half the harddrive when I use it once a week or so.

So, here's the situation and I'd like advice from my fellow Linux users on how to proceed.

CF-30FASAXAM

Current installation
Linux Mint w/MATE 17.1
Windows 7

Hardddrive 320
Partition 1 2.1GB NTFS (WinRE)
Partition 2 171GB NTFS (Windows)
Partition 3 147GB EX4 (Linux, three sub partitions)

Grub is a v2 variant as I recall. Currently set up to default to Mint after 10s.

I also have a DVD-RW drive installed.

I want to wipe the windows side and repartition to recover 100GB of that for use on the Linux side. I plan to come back with Win7 on the remaining 70GB.

I am looking to review the procedures and ensure I understand what is needed prior to commencing operations. So...

Where should GRUB be? How can I determine assuredly?

If possible, what would be procedure for using the Recovery partition to reinstall windows on a new, smaller partition?

Does using this require a product key? If so, the only key I have is a Vista (shudder) on the bottom. I don't mind buying a $99 Win7 key at Fry's or some such just for the Key. (I may even buy two just to have a backup for my main tower, in case the future Win10 upgrade leaves a soiled taste in my mouth)

I also have an unrelated question. I have seen others posting here and the other forum about how to make permanent settings entries for the touchscreen. I have been using xinput calibrator setup to autostart every time I log in but I think I'm ready to try set permanent settings and be done with the four targets every time.

Bill_TN

Re: Making some changes

#2 Post by Bill_TN »

Well if your just going to nuke the w side. Then you would be just as well to use a live disc or usb with G-parted to shrink the W7 partition. At which time it will show the now freed up part as un formated un used something like that. Then just use it as you see fit in Linux. Sometimes the operation is a success and W7 has no idea it has shrunk. Sometimes it gets ruined and you loose all that you had on it. Which would be same as what you originally planed but if it works it will save some effort. I've done this a few times with no issues. The one time I had a prob I actually had the hdd set up triple boot and screwed the partition that had grub on it. I just booted grub rescue and reset it all.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

kode-niner

#3 Post by kode-niner »

Grub should be in the master boot record (MBR). Bill has it right with doing a grub rescue or Boot Repair Disk if it gets borked.

If you are going to try gparted to shrink your W7 partition and increase your chances of it working afterwards, defragment it to move as much file fragments away from end of partition. Ixnay that on SSD drives of course.

For the touch screen config, in the end we practically had it distilled down to two commands.

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
sudo xinput_calibrator --output-type xorg.conf.d --output-filename /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf 
The definitive xinput_calibrator thread is http://www.toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1960
One of these days we should clean it up and make it a sticky!
Daily drives a CF-31

droppointalpha

#4 Post by droppointalpha »

I knew MBR but for what ever silly reason, I looked at the formatting options for a partition and saw MBR and thought... "does that mean my MBR may be in partition 1? Fuuuuuuuuuu". I have the jump drive and external harddrive space to preserve everything but I'm not sure I'll pull the trigger yet on wiping.

I tried moving windows when I made the install but 170 was smallest I could make it when I did my Mint install. Perhaps there is a trick I'm missing?

Thanks for the command inputs for calibrator.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

EDIT: Reading back, I realize my 12 hour watches and 4hr sleep periods are making my brain foggy... No idea what I'm thinking...

Bill_TN

#5 Post by Bill_TN »

De-fragment Windows first. then I just shrunk the partition. I think the smallest usable I have done was 80gb.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

Azrial

#6 Post by Azrial »

I have had great luck with gparted for this. No defrag, multiple adjustments.

YMMV
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

droppointalpha

#7 Post by droppointalpha »

Having a problem with gparted. Tried in using in Mint and live version via USB.

Getting a icon on the Windows main Partition (but not the recovery partition). "Unable to read contents" and basically that it is missing ntfs-3g. But I have verified ntfs-3g is present on mint and up to date and I can't imagine the live version ships without it.

But the recovery partition not flagged. Cannot do anything related to resizing with the partition.

Bill_TN

#8 Post by Bill_TN »

Don't mess with the recovery part unless you just want to remove it. If you mess with the factory installed recovery part you will not be likely to use it for recovery. I just shrink the heck out of the main one. I'm assuming that yours is a factory install, because you were asking about product keys. BTW yes your product key SHOULD work on a reinstall as long as your installing same system as original. Meaning 32 bit home prem key won't work on 32 bit pro. Or 64 bit home. The reason that it's easy, usually, to shrink the main W7 part is that during an install W is a hog and takes ALL the space. Doesn't usually use it all. Actually on average 80 gb will last most people for a LONGTIME. Unless your an ISO collector like me or a movie collector ect, and keep it all on the machine.

Bill_TN

#9 Post by Bill_TN »

I recomend making either live usb or disc of one of these for the work.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... stemrescue
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gparted
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... artedmagic

Never use the gparted that is on the hard drive to work on that same hard drive. Too great a risk of screwing the whole thing up. And ALWAYS make back ups, external hard copied back ups. Before doing ANY systems modifications.

Part magic is my go to. Has more crap on it. :cheers:

droppointalpha

#10 Post by droppointalpha »

I did use a USB live but the error that I'm seeing says gparted can't read the partition. That's why I mentioned the recovery partition because it is also NTFS filesystem and gparted on both the live gparted os and in mint say the same thing. For some reason, the partition that Win7 is in is not playing nice, causing a false error that gparted can't read the filesystem.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”