Making some changes

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
kode-niner

Re: Making some changes

#11 Post by kode-niner »

Sounds familiar. The disk was probably originally partitioned with a GUID Partition Table (GPT). I think I got myself out of that one with a utility called sgdisk to --zap all GPT data so that it stops fighting with MBR partition info. Gparted might still get confuzzled without this. Look it up.
Daily drives a CF-31

droppointalpha

#12 Post by droppointalpha »

Rgr that... I was reading about others with chdsk flags and such giving them issues but I had not had any problems with windows chdsk.

Your thought sounds similar, like it would induce an issue of like effect. I'll give it a go later today.

droppointalpha

#13 Post by droppointalpha »

Oh boy... looked at that quaint piece of software. Yeah. I might have to use that, but I'm going to have to back up my Linux side before I do. That looks like a heap of trouble if I fubar it. And I have two weeks left on the ship.

UNCNDL1

#14 Post by UNCNDL1 »

My two cents, now that I have reliable internet and a few moments here are 5 steps:
Just get another hard drive caddy, and another hard drive of your choice.
1. Put your Linux of choice on one hard drive and caddy
2. Put your Windows of choice on another hard drive and caddy.
3. Don't mess with dual boot systems unless you really, really need to do it.
4. Plan your dive....and then dive your plan.
5. Let us know
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

droppointalpha

#15 Post by droppointalpha »

UNCNDL

I already carry enough crap when I go back and forth from the ship anyway. Since I only use windows for a select few applications (mainly because WINE isn't supporting USB yet...), I'm loath to carry another harddrive just for windows.

The more I'm looking at the matter, the more I'm looking at simply shifting to a SDD and building the new harddrive from scratch the way I want it. I don't generally have a problem with dual boots as long as I get the setup right in the beginning. My issue this time was a used computer and a vista key on the bottom of a comp w/ win 7. So I was looking to avoid dickering with it. W/ the SSD and legit Win7, I'll get to set up the drive the way I like.

What issues do you normally encounter with dual boots that causes you to advise against? This sort of thing (resizing the drives post install) is the only issue I've had with any of my dual boots.

SHEEPMAN!

#16 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

1. I dual boot with two caddies, but since I'm changing flavours all the time I need to. (heh! my 31J is speaking English)

2. Here is the lazy man's way.
a. Install W7 and updates.
b. Install Mint 17.? and let it do the disc work.

IOW M$ first....then Linux.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

droppointalpha

#17 Post by droppointalpha »

droppointalpha wrote:2. Here is the lazy man's way.
a. Install W7 and updates.
b. Install Mint 17.? and let it do the disc work.
This is how I've done it in the past. Works fine, since the GRUB and Linux installs are used to being an addition.

I will just ensure I partition and allocate a nice small section for Windows to go to, then leave the rest for my partitions for linux and storage space.

SHEEPMAN!

#18 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

My feeling is let Mint worry about it and use the slider dealie for the partitions. Probably what you are doing.

To complicate matters some OS's recommend a separate partition for /. Then the rest for storage. I never worry about it.....I just put grub on the linux part.

Clarification "/" is Home directory............................clarification and confusion start and end with c and n.

Sorry if I am not clear.:)

Jeff
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

UNCNDL1

#19 Post by UNCNDL1 »

You can not go wrong with Jeff's suggestions above. I like fresh installs and change things around frequently.
What I remember when using Windows, was it always seemed to do updates and wanted to re-start afterwards.
Since Windows is important to you, how are you managing your backups of the Windows side?
BTW, I think "/" means root, not home. I think home = home and / = root but I've been wrong many times.
Good luck
Kris
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

droppointalpha

#20 Post by droppointalpha »

Normally I do fresh installs. This computer was a used model for cheap with nothing but a power cord for accessories. I didn't have a spare key to reinstall windows after wiping and repartitioning the drive. Hence, when I installed mint and shrunk the windows partition, it only let me go so far because Windows apparently puts some immovable files related to backups in the MIDDLE of the partition it is on.

Windows is not important for anything actually 'saved' on it. I just have some software I use that I can't run in WINE because of the lack of USB support.

The start of this thread was the hope that maybe someone knew the answer to a question about the issue I was having with being unable to even touch the windows drive using any partition editor, as I was intending to try force the issue on the space it was hogging. I had to archive stuff and move it off the drive and kept running out of room during the archiving process.

When I get home, I'll have a copy of Win7 legit waiting and I will commence formating a new SSD and installing win7 on a much smaller allocation of space. Then, I'll be at a point of wondering how to replicate my setup in the simplest manner possible while making sure I don't miss any of my favorite things.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”