openSUSEtumbleweed rolling release

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
UNCNDL1

openSUSEtumbleweed rolling release

#1 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I was reading through Shawn's posts, and decided to download and install (well, run it live first) the openSUSE Tumbleweed distribution.
From their documentation:https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
Install and download instructions: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumble ... stallation
From the above links: The Tumbleweed distribution is a pure rolling release version of openSUSE containing the latest stable versions of all software instead of relying on rigid periodic release cycles. The project does this for users that want the newest, but stable software.
Tumbleweed is based on Factory, openSUSE's main development codebase. Tumbleweed is updated once Factory's bleeding edge software has been integrated, stabilized and tested. Tumbleweed contains the latest stable applications and is ready for daily use.
I'll give it a go and let you know. This will be a 64 bit system on a 31A.
Edit, note...I'm on a live version now, a cheap 4 GB usb drive from overseas (10 for $20)...I downloaded the Gnome 64 bit version of Tumbleweed which is just under 1000mb. I used Mint LMDE usb writer to burn the usb. I shut down and rebooted the system and the iso loads. You'll be taken to a Welcome screen, and a boot menu where you can run the live system or install the openSUSE 13.3 tumbleweed distribution. I chose live, and as it's running, a torquoise blue/green screen unfolds and undulates while loading. I hit the esc key, which allowed me to watch in the Terminal what was happening. Once it loads, in the top right corner is where you'll want to go to find your wireless internet connection. I connected and away we go......The "surrender" key brings up a left handed toolbar, and there is a search bar across the top. I got on the net via Firefox and took this screen shot (see below). I'll put a ssd into a caddy, and do an install later and report back. Take care and keep on toughin...
Attachments
Screenshot from 2015-08-12 22-05-26.png
Screenshot from 2015-08-12 22-05-26.png (200.78 KiB) Viewed 10224 times
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

UNCNDL1

Re: openSUSEtumbleweed rolling release

#2 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Okay, this distro is not for the faint of heart...it's very different, polished but different....I had a MK2 CF-30 sitting (yes, a fleet is waiting a new home) so I installed Tumbleweed onto a 80 GB Toshiba hard drive (wiped Makulu)...The install is straightforward, it prompts you and cautions you and gives you several chances to opt out of the install. I installed and re-booted. Wireless network is found and works out of the box, once you put in your password. If you are interested in calibrating your touchscreen, as I said before it is a little work involved. I stumbled my way from the main home web page to here: http://software.opensuse.org/package/xi ... m=xinput-c
and installed xinput_calibrator....although it is NOT a regular package and you have to say yes when it wants you to say no....I did download it and will try to move on from there.....
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

Okay, this distro is not for the faint of heart...it's very different, polished but different....

That describes it exactly....I like the polish, but it's just too much or something...
Maybe well polished but not easy...I'm going to move on to something else.
Life will beat you into submission.

UNCNDL1

#4 Post by UNCNDL1 »

yes, still trying to make the calibrate touchscreen program stick...so to speak....if touchscreen is not an issue, very polished
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#5 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Okay, got the xinput calibrator (calibrate touchscreen) program to load, work, and save following Sadlmkr's link here:
http://www.toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1960
You have to cut and paste following his directions..BUT you use the surrender key to open Terminal, and then it all goes well....a little out of my comfort zone....but once you've added the software you like and want, should be a very slick distribution....As I've said before, there are many, many out there....I prefer ones that find my home network and log in seamlessly(this one does), and then allow me to update and add a few programs, etc....in all fairness....this one has a screen shot utility already loaded, and libreoffice and a bunch more are there already in applications....I'll explore a little and report back... :pat:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#6 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Update, I spent too much time trying to figure out how to add a program to burn another iso to usb. Maybe this Gnome version is slimmed down from the full featured version offered? I give up on the Gnome Tumbleweed, re-installed LMDE on the drive. I'll take a look at Li-F-E version of openSUSE
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Education-Li-f-e
It's 3.5 GB and can run live if you do not want to install. Looks packed with educational programs that might be interested....I'll report back.
On the 74J in the McDonalds parking lot using their free wi-fi at 24 mps :salute:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#7 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I added this extension to FireFox browser: about:downthemall
Then went here to download Li-F-E:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensus ... p_redirect
Downloading at work now via DownThemAll extension...
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”