Zorin 10 released

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Shawn

Zorin 10 released

#1 Post by Shawn »

I am downloading the 64bit Core version..I am going to test drive as soon as it's done.

The developers of Zorin OS, a desktop distribution based on Ubuntu which strives to present a friendly interface for people transition from Windows, have announced the release of Zorin OS 10. The new release is based on Ubuntu 15.04 and features a new visual style with new fonts and icon themes. "With Zorin OS 10, we have refreshed the selection of default applications with the addition of a streamlined new Media Player, the gorgeous Geary Mail client, Calendar app and the new Activity Journal, which lets you see the files and documents you have worked with based on duration and the time throughout the day. Our existing app selection has also been treated with updates, bug fixes and design enhancements throughout. Zorin OS 10 is based on Ubuntu 15.04 and comes pre-installed with the updated Linux Kernel 3.19 & systemd for performance boosts, stronger security and improved hardware support. As always, Zorin OS 10 uses the Zorin Desktop environment with Zorin Menu for unparalleled customization and the Zorin Look Changer for ultimate ease of use. We also include our Zorin Web Browser Manager to ease the installation of web browsers." The release announcement supplies additional details along with screen shots. Downloads (MD5): zorin-os-10-core-64.iso (1,480MB, pkglist).

Life will beat you into submission.

UNCNDL1

Re: Zorin 10 released

#2 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Shawn, how's the test drive going ??
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

It's ok...It did not have any partitioning package included...seemed odd.
I could not find the"quit annoying me with password" checkbox..That's probably a me issue.
Visually it's nice...I am sure it's aimed at Linux newbies so it's safer to not have partitioning software.

I have a copy of Zorin 9 ultimate. I want to compare the two...I will load v9 on my cf52b and compare them side by side.

I found a step by step on how to get garmin mobile pc to run on ubuntu...I really want to try that on Zorin 10. If I can get my Garmin gps working I will really consider keeping it instead of windoze. I got to have turn by turn navigation.

I got sidetracked from the Zorin review by a cf31 trying to kick my butt....It didn't try, it did....for now. The fight is not over yet..

UNCNDL1

#4 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Thanks Shawn for the update,
I can download it and try on a 30, 31, 52 if you like...however I've been partial to debian variants i.e. Makulu and LMDE Betsy lately....just saying....the Garmin Mobile angle is very interesting so please keep us posted after you sort out the 31
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I'm eating...slurp...pizza and typing one handed. Napkin....what's a napkin?

Zorin is O.k.......same thing they say about W10. Some really nice things.

We need to make a chart with :newbie: friendly or NOT.

needed more pizza.=no caps.

I'll try to capitalize....Zorin for simple tasks...good out of the box.

Maybe Shawn will resize one of my images and post it. Immediately after this(TAKING THE IMAGE)...I crashed the system.

MY fault...not Zorin. I basically edited mount options.....using wrong parameters. :pat: becauuuuuuse Zorin is locked down tight so the user can't break the system. :D Little do they know.:D IOW I broke it....as in ME. (sorry stupid paragraph thinking about pizza)

Fresh install of Mint 17.2 next week, let's see what I can break.

Adios,

J'd
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

this is a Jeff tweaked Zorin

or this one is a Jeff tweaked Makulu. Makulu is not as locked down as Zorin..
This one looks better..I am waiting for the tweaked Mint version...

Last edited by Shawn on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

Zorin 10 does visually look better than 9.
Any version of Zorin is great for Linux newcomers...Load it and give it to them. No real learning curve.
It's tuned and locked to be safe and almost idiot / tinker proof. Very good for the market it is aimed at.
One thing I recommend is install grub customizer and eliminate the boot options..Boot straight to Zorin.
Not sure why they chose to put the memory test options and such in a OS boot menu aimed at newbies..
64 bit v9 boots in 12 seconds on a CF31...

SHEEPMAN!

#8 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

No big deal...OS name is Tester.....I'm throwing things at it to see what breaks. Which I found.
So I dual booted it with the Makulu.....mainly to access files and stuff on Zorin.......which has a typo in a config file......and won't boot.

Zorin 10 is a fine product....don't get me wrong there. The errors were mine.

Shawn

#9 Post by Shawn »

Zorin is idiot proof, well unless you have a better idiot 8) Or at least an idiot that is persistent. :boing:
You do have to really work at it to break it. Almost ALL of the files are owned by root..And the administrator is NOT able to change these files. You can't even add to those directories.

I now have a copy of Zorin 10 Ultimate..It's the same as Core and Lite, but it includes 2gb of software all ready to go.
I am booting a Live CD in a few moments.

this one is really funny....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SHEEPMAN!

#10 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I prefer ignorance over idiocy.

Or its mine to break as I please. :D

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”