linux gps map software

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
mklym

Re: linux gps map software

#11 Post by mklym »

The map link is the same as I used to download maps previously. I followed all your instructions, except that I renamed the downloaded map as 'osm_ca.bin' and used leafpad as the editor for the navit.xml file, but see no change in Navit...blank window with a blue circle. Strange.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

kode-niner

#12 Post by kode-niner »

When you open navit and go to setup -> maps, does your binfile show up there with the proper path?
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#13 Post by mklym »

When I open Navit and go to settings->maps, the only thing showing is 'Route', 'Route Graph', 'Navigation' and 'Tracking' options, with 'Route' being the one enabled (check marked). I double checked your previous instructions and all is as it should be.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

kode-niner

#14 Post by kode-niner »

Post your navit.xml file as an attachment and I'll take a look.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#15 Post by mklym »

Okay, here it is.
Attachments
navit.xml
(290.58 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

kode-niner

#16 Post by kode-niner »

You have a sample mapset enabled right above yours and it needs to be disabled. Your map should be the only one enabled with

Code: Select all

<mapset enabled ="yes"> 
Set the sample mapset to "no" and you should be good to go.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#17 Post by mklym »

Ah, missed that one. Made the change and I have a map with the circle on my location. Thank you.

How do I use the other maps I downloaded? How high of resolution (how close to street view) will the maps go? I have downloaded a bunch of maps of Western Canada and the West Coast of the US at increasing levels of zoom. Do I need them and if I do, how do I enable them. All the maps are already in the navit/maps folder with names like osm_bbox_-116.3,50.2,-109.3,53.4.bin, etc.

kode-niner

#18 Post by kode-niner »

Right now you're running navit in its most basic configuration. There are plenty of fun tweaks that can be added if you have the patience.

You can have multiple maps but only one mapset. It would look something like this:

<mapset enabled="yes">
                        <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/usr/share/navit/maps/osm.bin"/>
                        <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/usr/share/navit/maps/osm2.bin"/>
                        <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/usr/share/navit/maps/osm3.bin"/>
                </mapset>
If the maps exist and are enabled as above, you go into Settings -> Maps to check/uncheck the ones you need to use.

For the zoom levels from maps that you grabbed from OpenStreetMap, they are already sufficiently detailed. There's a keyboard shortcut for zooming but I can't find it or it's not working anymore. I think it was an F-key. Otherwise you need a mousewheel to zoom which ain't so great with our TB's. However there are plenty of On Screen Display (OSD) tweaks you can do to help:

Look for these two lines and enable them (change "no" to "yes") to get two buttons on screen where you can tap to zoom.

<osd enabled="no" type="button" x="-96" y="-96" command="zoom_in()" src="zoom_in.png"/>
                <osd enabled="no" type="button" x="0" y="-96" command="zoom_out()" src="zoom_out.png"/>

Where it gets cool is you can copy a bunch of osd tweaks from here for some pretty cool layouts. Sometimes I use them for insipiration by picking and choosing individual osd lines from some of their layouts instead of using their entire kits.
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OSD_Layouts
Last edited by kode-niner on Wed May 27, 2015 10:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Daily drives a CF-31

kode-niner

#19 Post by kode-niner »

Here, I edited your navit.xml file and added a few osd tweaks to get you started. I put them under a section I tagged for you with
<!-- BEGIN custom osd items -->

If you want to have fun with osd, it should be safe for you to play around with those at will.
Attachments
navit.xml
(291.76 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#20 Post by mklym »

Thanks for the info and the doctored navit.xml. I will check it out. I appreciate the help.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”