Kali linux on cf-19 mk3

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
scottie4442

Re: Kali linux on cf-19 mk3

#11 Post by scottie4442 »

The problem with newer linux distros are that most don't use xorg.conf any more, so part of this will not work with the new distros
CF-19KHRAX2M upgraded to 4gb ram and 128gb ssd, adding gps.
CF-30FASEZAM upgraded to 4gb ram, sr71 wlan and 128gb ssd, adding gps

SHEEPMAN!

#12 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I KNEW that was coming.
.wine and offer ANOTHER computer.
So Cleve, buddy, TDR/HQ delegates this to you TDR-E. Unless your CF-18 fell from the plane. D

Say hi to your dad.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

kode-niner

#13 Post by kode-niner »

scottie4442 wrote:The problem with newer linux distros are that most don't use xorg.conf any more, so part of this will not work with the new distros
That's partially incorrect. These distributions you see that lack the xorg.conf file just have other methods of automatically configuring input devices without this file but they can still use it if you re-create it.

However the correct way for handling devices that aren't automatically configured is with the use of individual conf files in xorg.conf.d directories. If you read around here, you'll see that we're already in the business of creating X.org configuration files in one form or another just to make our touch screens work.
Daily drives a CF-31

scottie4442

#14 Post by scottie4442 »

Ok, I might have part of the solution, I will be working on it in the next couple of days and post my results here. I am working on compiling the drivers that are listed on the site I put up here. If I can get this working then I will let ya'll know if this get the tablet (front panel) keys working. If I can get them working then I can work on getting scripts working with them.

scottie4442

#15 Post by scottie4442 »

the only problem with using xorg.conf files with the distros that do not use them any longer is when you do update then you might have to go through and edit the xorg.conf or even start over for the changes in the system, this is why I am trying to get this working with the distro the way it is setup so that update will not mess this up (I have had this happen in the past with other system that I custom configured for one reason or another).

scottie4442

#16 Post by scottie4442 »

ok got the button at least show up in acpi_listen. I will try to get all the steps.

1. download both Makefile and panasonic-hbtn.c from https://github.com/heiher/panasonic-hbtn

2. create directory to work in, i used toughbook.

3 copy both file to the directory you created.

4. as root make sure you install linux-headers-$(shell uname -r) (the uname is the kernel version).

5. type make

6. as root type insmod panasonic-hbtn.ko ( this may be debian distro's only).

7 type acpi_listen and press each of the buttons and each should respond now.

Now have to get scripts for each of the buttons.

[edit] corrected the spelling mistakes (I type so fast that I forget to check spelling problem from time to time, sorry).
Last edited by scottie4442 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SHEEPMAN!

#17 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Looking forward to it. :D You'll be a hero btw.

oth above is "both", yes?

Thanks,

Jeff
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

scottie4442

#18 Post by scottie4442 »

I was checking on this and you may need to run make as root also, I had an issue with this. Also these steps may only work in Debian based distros, that is all I have tested so far. I did these steps and the lock button (rightmost one) works now, I am looking into writing scripts for each of the other buttons and how to implement them.

kode-niner

#19 Post by kode-niner »

scottie4442 wrote:the only problem with using xorg.conf files with the distros that do not use them any longer is when you do update then you might have to go through and edit the xorg.conf or even start over for the changes in the system, this is why I am trying to get this working with the distro the way it is setup so that update will not mess this up (I have had this happen in the past with other system that I custom configured for one reason or another).
You're right, it's no longer necessary or practical to use a single conf file. That's why, like I said in my prevous post, the proper way is to use the xorg.conf.d directories and declare your devices individually. There are two directories where this works, and they can be created if they don't already exist. The first one takes precedence over the second one.

Code: Select all

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
cheers.
Daily drives a CF-31

scottie4442

#20 Post by scottie4442 »

found another piece that I edited to fit what I wanted to do, I have my script to rotate left then back to normal (left for me is with the strap, back, of the 19 to my left (I am right handed so works for me).

#!/bin/sh

# Find the line in "xrandr -q --verbose" output that contains current screen orientation and "strip" out current orientation.

rotation="$(xrandr -q --verbose | grep 'connected' | egrep -o '\) (normal|left|inverted|right) \(' | egrep -o '(normal|left|inverted|right)')"

# Using current screen orientation proceed to rotate screen and input tools.

case "$rotation" in
normal)
# rotate to the left
xrandr -o left
xinput set-prop 'Fujitsu Component USB Touch Panel' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 -1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
;;
left)
# rotate to normal
xrandr -o normal
xinput set-prop 'Fujitsu Component USB Touch Panel' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
;;
esac

the sites I got this info from are as follows:

the screen rotation for cf-19
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36173

the script to toggle the rotation from one command:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=110395
(use method #1)

once I have the acpi event figured out this is the script that I will use for the rotation button, just press button and it will rotate back and forth.

[Edit} i messed up in the rotation script for the return to normal orientation. it has been fixed now. what I changed is the second "coordination transform matrix" line added a 1 to the end, this fixes the problem with calibration going off when you rotate back to normal.
Last edited by scottie4442 on Fri May 29, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”