OS suggestions?

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Bill_TN

Re: OS suggestions?

#31 Post by Bill_TN »

Uh yea sure. I downloaded the ISO, burned it to disc and did a net install from external dvd player. So far I have a gnome GUI.
The bluetooth "seems" working, have not tested it yet.
Don't seem to have wireless yet. To be honest I'm not even sure this unit has it.
Touch pad works just as crappy as it does in W or any other OS.
My usb mouse works fine. :D
Touch screen functions. Have not tried to calibrate it yet. But never could get this unit to zero in right in W either.
Have not tried the hot buttons or the hot keys. To be honest since getting them to function is probably a bit beyond my patience factor I'll probably never take it that far.

Not a fan of gnome at all. So fixxing to try another interface, see if kde or lxde is available. Also have NOT been successful YET in getting MC to play yet.
Last edited by Bill_TN on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Bill_TN

#32 Post by Bill_TN »

As for the R9 on the cf-52. Yup they did ubuntu this time. Have a 73 in R8. So far it feels fine once it boots up totally very peppy and quick. The machine is quite slow to get fully up and functioning. Might just be the hardware. Each OS that I've put in it has been slow to boot. 30 sec or more is notably slow to me on a light OS. No touch screen so nothing special. Just a tough laptop. Plays movies with VLC fine, plays MC with full graphics without a glitch.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

Shawn

#33 Post by Shawn »

For windows use a real Synaptics driver on the touchpad...
They work MUCH better.

http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php

This MAY work better on Linux..I never tried it.

http://www.synaptics.com/en/gesture-suite-linux.php
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#34 Post by Bill_TN »

No Shawn. It's not a driver issue. It's a me issue. I hate touch pads. I always use a mouse or my trusty track ball.

Bill_TN

#35 Post by Bill_TN »

Anyone play with 10 yet? I'm doing multiple back ups of each machine, prior to trying it out. Think I'll try it on my trusty desktop first.

UNCNDL1

#36 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Notes, etc. regarding operating systems. I'm jaded of course. LMDE BETSY 2 MATE IS MY GO TO ON THE 52, I not really like cinnamon but I know others do. The new WattOs is a step backwards, it does not even shut down properly. At least R8 works well on a 29, 33 and 34. Jeff and I have tried them all. MX-14 is fine for a 29, and works on everything else as well as it's 32 bit. Makulu 9 XFCE lite 64 and 32 bit are being tested now on a 52, 30, and 31 using a SSD and 4 GB RAM.
There are many more that sound good on DistroWatch but beware, some are nOT live and some work but are another step backwards. Just remember Swart'z corrolary to Murphy's Law...Murph was an optimist...
Just saying
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

SHEEPMAN!

#37 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

MakuluLinux -Aero-10 YES.

This is a Linux thread. :D What are you thinking?

Getting ready to write a Mak10 brief. Still Beta but I have only found one small glitch so far. Important to me as I use screenshot quite a bit...haven't asked the author yet....seems like a nice guy.

The author calls this a fun system. (fun something anyway)

OT the year of lightning for California/ Nevada. We lucked out with only 6 fires in Mendocino this time. Lake County is getting ripped. Last count Humboldt County was 51 from one storm. Trinity County did not look good tonight....several major fires.....my daughters friend is on the evac list in Hayfork, CA.

Got busy .....later.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Bill_TN

#38 Post by Bill_TN »

My Watt r9 on the 52 has decided it does not want to do updates or load new software. It doesn't want to connect with ANY of the repositories. So thinking the install disc was flawed. Will delve into it later. Thinking about making it a dual boot with watt r8 for the heck of it.

Bill_TN

#39 Post by Bill_TN »

Ok I had a senior moment. Needed to have the system scan and find the best mirror . It turned out to NOT be the one I usually use for buntu based systems. Go figure. Working fine as wine now. So well that actually considering making it a 64 bit instead of 32. Test the 64 version on 4gb ram.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”