Dual boot...... use same Firefox profile

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Shawn

Dual boot...... use same Firefox profile

#1 Post by Shawn »

I am setting up a dual boot Zorin / windows 7 CF52.....

I have not done this yet, but I found the article and wanted to share..

Following is copy/paste of web page..

How to Use Same FireFox Profile in Dual Boot Linux (Ubuntu) Windows installation
Submitted by Jasom Dotnet on 7 May, 2014 - 17:09

2 step tutorial on how to share same Firefox profile - add-ons, bookmarks, history - between dual boot Windows and Linux installation (Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu).
Problem - how to synchronize Firefox profiles in dual boot Ubuntu/Win installation?

I switched my default operating system from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu). I decided so because Ubuntu is stable open-source operating system with great support. My default Internet browser is Firefox. When you have certain setting in Firefox under Windows, you don't want to set it up again in Linux. You want it to have synchronized. How to do it? Easily - switch to Ubuntu (Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu) and follow these 2 steps:
1. step: Find where places.sqlite is located

All your bookmarks and history is stored in places.sqlite. Open up terminal (alt + ctrl + t) and type in following command.

find / -name 'places.sqlite'

I will help you to find paths of both - Linux and Windows - Firefox installations. You should see something like this:

/media/compname/1E805DDC8S59RTC9/Documents and Settings/Winname/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/6gdfr0a0.default-13895696428171/places.sqlite
/home/compname/.mozilla/firefox/961vtrt5.default/places.sqlite

We see that Firefox profile path in Windows is

/media/compname/1E805DDC8S59RTC9/Documents and Settings/Winname/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/6gdfr0a0.default-13895696428171

and Firefox profile path in Ubuntu is

/home/compname/.mozilla/firefox/961vtrt5.default

2. step: Edit profiles.ini - Firefox load profile path from there

Go to /home/jasom/.mozilla/firefox/ and backup profiles.ini (later you can decide to restore default profile settings). Open it and change Name to windows, IsRelative to 0 and add your full Windows Firefox profile path.

Change profiles.ini from this:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=961vtrt5.default

to this:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=windows
IsRelative=0
Path=/media/compname/1E805DDC8S59RTC9/Documents and Settings/Winname/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/6gdfr0a0.default-13895696428171

Save and restart Firefox. That's it! Now you share Firefox profile: ad-dons, bookmarks, history across Linux (Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu) and Window in your dual boot installation.
Life will beat you into submission.

kode-niner

Re: Dual boot...... use same Firefox profile

#2 Post by kode-niner »

Good one. I always did it with sym links in linux. I never thought of tweaking the profiles.ini
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”