2015 Linux and the Live CD List

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
UNCNDL1

2015 Linux and the Live CD List

#1 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Hey all, it's been cold here but that's no excuse to post a new Linux Topic. I'm calling it the The LiveCD List. My goal is to list the one's that find my wireless network, and load simply and quick. Not all of them are able to install to a hard drive, but that is alright in my book. Those small little usb drives we've seen work quite nicely. Just ask Sadlmkr, he likes them so much he just bought 9 of them for his New Year Projects. My new years project is to evaluate live linux distributions that are 700 mb or Less. This link says it all, and is a great starting point for people looking for small distributions:
http://www.livecdlist.com/
Once, you go to the site, you can sort the fields. Name, Minimum Size, Last Release. You get the picture. Of course, some are not active, but I found one to start this off. I hope others chime in and try one (or two) and report back here. It could be a fun year. CD's are cheap and easy. Enjoy.
I sorted by Size, and then scrolled around looking for newer, current distributions that would fit on a CD. This is a keeper in my book, and I've not only put it onto a CD, but I made it a bootable usb:
http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm
a little note from their site: "Lightweight Portable Security (LPS) creates a secure end node from trusted media on almost any Intel-based computer (PC or Mac). LPS boots a thin Linux operating system from a CD or USB flash stick without mounting a local hard drive. Administrator privileges are not required; nothing is installed. The LPS family was created to address particular use cases: LPS-Public is a safer, general-purpose solution for using web-based applications. The accredited LPS-Remote Access is only for accessing your organization's private network.

LPS-Public allows general web browsing and connecting to remote networks. It includes a smart card-enabled Firefox browser supporting CAC and PIV cards, a PDF and text viewer, Java, and Encryption Wizard - Public. LPS-Public turns an untrusted system (such as a home computer) into a trusted network client. No trace of work activity (or malware) can be written to the local computer. Simply plug in your USB smart card reader to access CAC- and PIV-restricted US government websites.
LPS differs from traditional operating systems in that it isn't continually patched. LPS is designed to run from read-only media and without any persistent storage. Any malware that might infect a computer can only run within that session. A user can improve security by rebooting between sessions, or when about to undertake a sensitive transaction. For example, boot LPS immediately before performing any online banking transactions. LPS should also be rebooted immediately after visiting any risky web sites, or when the user has reason to suspect malware might have been loaded. In any event, rebooting when idle is an effective strategy to ensure a clean computing session. LPS is updated on a regular basis (at least quarterly patch and maintenance releases). Update to the latest versions to have the latest protection. "
From the link, I loaded the Public Deluxe Version, which I believe adds useful programs and does not take up much space. Please give it a try and report back. If you have problems downloading, burning a cd/usb, please let us know. Best regards, and happy new year :salute:
Left handed salue works for me since I was born and raised on the Left coast, currently residing on the Right coast.
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

KLonsdale

Re: 2015 Linux and the Live CD List

#2 Post by KLonsdale »

I use Clonzezilla and Gparted on a regular basis for what they were designed for. Knoppix is a great live cd never had a problem getting any of the versions to connect wirelessly. It is famous for hardware detection. If you are into security testing Backtrack is a good distro, if you know what you are doing, which I don't. Of course Linux Mint is my all time favorite.
CF-18 MkII
1280 Mb Ram
1.1 MGz Centrino
Factory BT and GPS
8602+S 600 Mw Wifi
32 Gb Transcend SSD
Rubber Back-lit Keyboard
Linux Mint 17.1 Mate Edition

fleecy sheep

#3 Post by fleecy sheep »

UNCNDL1 wrote:...dod.mil/lipose.htm
..."Lightweight Portable Security (LPS)...
I have to bite my tongue here to not get overly sarcastic :angel:
So just an innocent rhetorical question: Where on a trust level scale from 0 to 10 would a security minded individual put a software product put together by a us gov entity in the light of the news of the past one and a half years?
I rest my case. 8)

Having been a user of grml.org for quite a few years, I can wholly recommend it, if you're primarily looking for something to work with on the shell. I can't vouch for the desktop env since there's been no need for me to use it.

UNCNDL1

#4 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Thank you (above). The website for your recommendation is found here:
http://grml.org/
Looks interesting. I'll give it a go.
I tried Knoppix awhile ago, found here: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
Kali, found here: https://www.kali.org/
...is backtrack reborn (I think). It's huge and you'll need a dvd to copy the distribution.
This weekend is shaping up for the North East.
Best regards,
Cleve :salute:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

So why Trisquel?

Trying 7.0 mini has issue with Intel wireless.

From my CF-53 running Antergos 64bit.

J'd
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

UNCNDL1

#6 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Sadlmkr wrote:So why Trisquel? Trying 7.0 mini has issue with Intel wireless.
From my CF-53 running Antergos 64bit. J'd
The quest continues for distributions that are less than 700 MB.
grml looks promising at 350 MB
:doh:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

glitch

#7 Post by glitch »

I have a stack of LXF disks sitting here, I will start trying them out on my 29.

I will try a few distros tomorrow and report back, I have things like Rosa, Sonar, Peppermint Four,
4MLinux,Zenwalk, Tiny Core, loads of Ubuntu, SUSE, Bodhi, Siduction, Tails-(Debian+Onion) for you
sneaky folks, UberStudent (pretty cool) yadda, yadda, yadda.....

I had a subscription to Linux Format, bad for an OS addict like myself. My computer has had
more personalities than Orphan Black. (some just as wacky)

EDIT ---- Again
Ok so in the didn't boot to Live category:
Netrunner 12.12
GhostBSD 2.5
Siduction
Bodhi

In the Booted to Live category
Fuduntu 2012.4 - an offshoot of Ubuntu, which always seem to work.

I will add to these lists as I have time.
Last edited by glitch on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glitch

CF-19 Mk-1 / CF-M34 / CF-27 / CF-28 / CF-29 Mk-1 / CF-H1 Field/Health

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

UNCNDL1

#8 Post by UNCNDL1 »

UNCNDL1 wrote:
Sadlmkr wrote:So why Trisquel? Trying 7.0 mini has issue with Intel wireless. From my CF-53 running Antergos 64bit. J'd
The quest continues for distributions that are less than 700 MB.
grml looks promising at 350 MB
:doh:
grml is on hold until I can get another stack of CD's, however since it was suggested, I'd like to try it out next. I was able to download another iso that is 615 MB, and I used my last CD to burn a live install. The Live CD list took me here: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=bridge
and I downloaded the lxde version of Bridge Linux, and burned to cd. It loaded properly and found my wireless. Looks interesting as it's based on Arch, and comes with some things pre-installed. There are 4 flavours of Bridge depending on what you prefer. I'll have to play around somemore and let you know, but if nothing else, it's a neat, quick way to get on the internet, either with a live cd at 615 MB or you could make a usb bootable. The version I downloaded comes with Chrome as a browser and is what I would call the slimmed down version of the other choices. Not sure how the Arch package manager works, but would have to install this to try that out. I'll just stick to cd's and live images for now. By the way, you must know by now that the versions I currently favor are MicroWattOSR8, CrunchBang, Navigatrix, Zorin, and Mint. MicroWatt and CrunchBang work especially well with older Toughbooks such as the M-34, CF-18 & CF-28. This thread was started to explore distributions that are less than 700 MB, can find your home wireless network easily and allow you to connect, and if you liked it, would install easily without any hassles.
Best regards, and let us know your favorite Linux Distribution that runs live at less than 700 MB.
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#9 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Update...Grml from post #3 is NOT for the faint of heart, and I doubt Sadlmkr will appreciate it's attributes. It is definately powerful and ready to perform, however it will not be for Newbies looking for a distribution for their Toughbook. At the very least, it will need a user guide for the toughbook to make it work. I went here: http://grml.org/
and downloaded the most current iso to my hard drive, and then used image writer (zorin) to make my usb bootable. This one is not for me (without some help and nudging)... :doh:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

glitch

#10 Post by glitch »

Isn't Grml aimed at System admin's? A live distro for troubleshooting?

If it is that might be why its not for the faint of heart, they expect their targeted users
to be willing to tweak stuff.

UNCNDL1 would you consider changing the title of this post and listing all the Live and installed
Linux distros that will work on our boxes. Sort of a one stop list we could sticky or something?
Do you think that would be a good idea?
glitch

CF-19 Mk-1 / CF-M34 / CF-27 / CF-28 / CF-29 Mk-1 / CF-H1 Field/Health

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”