2015 Linux and the Live CD List

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
UNCNDL1

Re: 2015 Linux and the Live CD List

#41 Post by UNCNDL1 »

It's been awhile and wanted to post some news from the Mint front. I've been using Debian Mint Linux for sometime on the trusty 52 GUN and the 18 as well. It's allowed me to get into my employer's company system using citrix and a bunch of Windows Office stuff needed for work.
I just saw that LMDE 2 has been released, for MATE and Cinnamon, 32 and 64 bit. Here is the link:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2809
You will just need to read down for the MATE and CINNAMON links for direct and torrent downloads. Be sure to read the release notes for LMDE, as well as anything else from these links. There are advantages to using Debian versions instead of Ubuntu...I can't tell you all of them but I'll list them shortly. Mint is polished and I always go back to it, especially for the 30's and 52's, as well as the CF-C1. This is a "rolling release", which means basically it is never obsolete. I'd love to hear what others think, and of course, a couple of usb's are headed out to Talking Dog Ranch in the near future. Take care and keep touch. :doh:
Update. I installed Betsy Cinnamon 32 bit on a new spare Crucial SSD on a MK3 CF-30. If you install the newest LMDE 2 from Mint, you'll want to read the release notes to tweak your system, here is a shortcut to that information:
LMDE 2 “Betsy” notes

Multi-core and multi-CPU support in 32-bit kernel
To guarantee compatibility with non-PAE processors, the 32-bit versions of Linux Mint Debian come with a 586 kernel by default. This kernel does not support SMP, and as a consequence is only able to detect one core and one CPU. If your CPU has multiple cores, or if you have more than one CPU, simply install the 686-PAE kernel and reboot your computer.
Type the following commands and reboot the computer:
apt update
apt install linux-headers-686-pae linux-image-686-pae
Yumi multiboot
The LMDE ISOs and the live installer use a different structure than the ones used by other distributions. Please do not use Yumi or multiboot technologies with LMDE as it won't install properly.
Known problems in LMDE 2 'Betsy'
Login and password for the live session
The Live session should log you in automatically. If it doesn't, or if you need to login manually, you can use the following credentials:
For the username, type "mint"
For the password, if asked, just press Enter.
GTK theme and icons fail to load
Sometimes the MATE session fails to theme itself properly and shows up with ugly looking panels and icons. This is due to a race condition with MDM and it usually only happens in live mode. There are a number of workarounds for this. If it happens rarely, simply retheme the session by typing "mate-settings-daemon" and "killall caja". If the problem persists, you can add a "killall gnome-settings-daemon" and a "killall mate-settings-daemon" in the PreSession's default script for MDM. Alternatively you can switch to GDM3. Note that users reported similar issues between GDM and Gnome and even LightDM and Unity.
To find out more about this issue, refer to the following bug report.
Modprobe errors, warning messages during the boot sequence
The errors and warnings which appear in the boot sequence (especially the ones related to modprobe and mounts in the live boot sequence) are cosmetic bugs and can be ignored.
Once I installed and ran the 686 kernal for multi core support, I rebooted, and then ran updates (16 recommended), followed by my standard install of xfburn, shutter, xinput-calibrator, and foxtrotgps. There are bunches of background pictures if you'd like to change your background. Just right click and change your background. There are 8 file folders full of nice pictures (if you so desire). I've never run Cinnamon before because I had heard it was a memory hog and could be "boggy". Far from it. Although I'm partial to the MATE version, this Cinnamon is not bad. I'll keep it on a whie and see if this newest version from Mint will allow me to log into my company server using Citrix Receiver. I have not checked out other things such as screen flicker, etc. but will report later on other things such as that.
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

UNCNDL1

#42 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I've mentioned WattOSR9 previously, and it is now available for those having a Pentium 3 processor (or better), and at least 192 - 256 MB RAM. Here is the link with release notes and download information:
http://www.planetwatt.com/blogs/1/21/wa ... 9-released
"The wattOS team is pleased to announce the release of the newest version of wattOS – Release 9 – (also known as R9). We have made the switch back to Ubuntu as the upstream distro and built the latest version from 14.04 LTS for long term support and stability.
We have simplified things this time around with wattOS and are only releasing two types of desktops. Previously having the extra desktop versions created additional work. This time we are more focused and have released only two desktop versions. R9 – LXDE – 32 and 64bit R9 – Microwatt – 32 and 64bit
The LXDE version will look very familiar to most people who have used wattOS and LXDE, but the Microwatt version is much different in that it is based on i3 window manager. We have added some additional resources and information about this in the forum and the new wiki being built out. Additionally there is a 20 minute video we have put together outlining the basics of working with i3 and wattOS.
The result is a light, clean, fast desktop in both cases that can be used to bring old computers back to life or as a basis to start with a clean simple desktop for whatever use you decide to customize into.
Core apps and versions for LXDE Core system - Linux Kernel 3.13.0.53 File manager - PCManFM 1.2.0 Graphics Editing - Shotwell 0.18.0 Web Browsing (including flash support) – Firefox 38.0 File transfer - Filezilla 3.7.3 BitTorrent client - Transmission 2.82 PDF viewing – Evince – 3.10.3 Music Player - Audacious 3.4.3 Video/multimedia player – gnome-mplayer – 1.0.8 Power management utilities like powertop to optimize settings, support for power manangement features of laptops
Core apps and differences for Microwatt – R9
i3 Tiling Window Manager – 4.10.2
Subset of applications listed above with scripts included to install afterwards if wanted
Midori web browser (with flash support) – 0.4.3
Terminal tools like htop
Whats new in R9
- Switch back to Unbuntu and specific LTS release build
- All new versions and upgrades to programs mentioned above
- Broader support for wireless and various hardware
- Microwatt changes mentioned and lightweight apps and window manager for low spec installs
LXDE versions wattOS should be able to run on any system that has a Pentium 3 class
processor or better with 192-256MB of RAM to install but less than 128MB after install is complete.
Microwatt version of wattOS should be able to run on the same class of machines
as LXDE but with a smaller memory footprint."
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#43 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Downloading now, it's been awhile but since there are lot's of new ones popping up, thought I'd see how this one fares:
http://tanglu.org/
More to follow...Okay, I'm on the trusty west coast 74, loaded 64 bit Gnome. Some will like the surrender flag features. Wireless network connection seamless (top right corner). This is running "live" of course. Will have to play some more later with it .. :pat:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#44 Post by UNCNDL1 »

MX Linux has a new beta version: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/features
Here are the download links: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/download-links
I'm running a live usb on the CF-52 and this video is worth watching for details:
http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx15-b2
I also ran a live dvd on the CF-29 last night, and she ran just fine.
I'll update along with Sadlmkr regarding different mark CF-29's soon.
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”