What does the lid have to do with it?

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
mklym

Re: What does the lid have to do with it?

#11 Post by mklym »

Yes, I have hardware handshake enabled in Cutecom.

After setting all the hardware, that I had disabled, to Auto I booted to OS and ran Cutecom. Nothing on /dev/ttyS0 but the GPS was found at /dev/ttyS2. Ran gpsd /dev/ttyS2 and then xgps, no sats showing, close and reopen lid and there are 4-6 sats, no lock even giving it 5-10min., close and reopen lid again and there is 10-12 sats showing, after a few minutes there is a 3D fix on 4-6 sats.

I have rebooted 3 or 4 times and the results are basically the same each time, so it seems to have settled on /dev/ttyS2.

Here is the output from inxi -Fxz:

Code: Select all

morgan@CF-30MK3Mint17 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: CF-30MK3Mint17 Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Panasonic (portable) product: CF-30KCPAXAM version: 003
           Mobo: Panasonic model: CF30-3 version: 1 Bios: American Megatrends version: V3.00L15 date: 01/08/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU L9300 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 6384.12 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 0b:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: e100 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 180.0GB (6.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSC2CT18 size: 180.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 162G used: 11G (8%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.12GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: 46.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 169 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 656.6/7824.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

mklym

#12 Post by mklym »

kode-niner wrote:I like these exercises. Try to determine if it's the monitor on/off or suspending that triggers it.

Test the monitor

xset dpms force off; xset dpms force on
Test full suspend without closing the lid then hit the power button briefly to wake up

sudo echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
I ran the code and this is what I got:

morgan@CF-30MK3Mint17 ~ $ xset dpms force off; xset dpms force on
morgan@CF-30MK3Mint17 ~ $ sudo echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
bash: /sys/power/state: Permission denied
When I ran xset command, the screen went black and immediately came back on.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

SHEEPMAN!

#13 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

kode....your code I am the same as Morgan. The only thing affecting xgps was shut and re-open. 12 sats. Wondering if it is a permission thing since it asked for password again.
M, I'm running bios set to defaults, (auto) using dpkg-reconfigure set to serial port. This > gpsd /dev/ttyS2. I'm going to try it with -n.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

mklym

#14 Post by mklym »

J'd, I have the BIOS set to defaults, except for the display set to Internal. I didn't do dpkg-reconfigure. I used both gpsd /dev/ttyS2 and gpsd -D5 -N -n /dev/ttyS2 with the same results.
I started a thread on the Mint forum, hardware section, like we discussed last night. :) I'll see what responses it brings.

SHEEPMAN!

#15 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

This works:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gpsd
Serial on
USB off (on would probably be o.k.)
/dev/ttyS2
-G #See man gpsd
/var/run/gpsd.sock OK

-G
This flag causes gpsd to listen on all addresses (INADDR_ANY)
rather than just the loop back (INADDR_LOOPBACK) address. For the
sake of privacy and security, TPV information is now private to the
local machine until the user makes an effort to expose this to the
world.
Testing again.....be back in a few.

:salute:

Shawn

#16 Post by Shawn »

Investigate the chipset controls etc...
The chipset controls enabling /disabling / brightness of the screen. Keyboard also.

My SWAG is some bit of programming error that when the unit starts, it doesn't enable the GPS antenna power..
Maybe the flicker is the chipset hunting for an internal or external monitor. It doesn't lock on to the internal LCD.
The code that runs when you awaken from hibernation is accurate and sets things straight.

The model that gives you problems is a different chipset isn't it? That's the only major difference.
Life will beat you into submission.

SHEEPMAN!

#17 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

For now this I can live with.
In bios set to internal lcd with gps enabled.
Use dpkg-reconfigure as above. (-G) By hand would be gpsd -G /dev/ttyS2 (untested) dpkg-reconfigure sets gpsd in automatic mode when booting.

And I get no flicker and 12 or more sats. I was using auto in bios for a while to see if I could figure this out. The lid close found four more sats and I don't know what that was about.

Switching to a MK1 and MK2 with this disk.

TTYL

mklym

#18 Post by mklym »

When you say gps enabed in BIOS do you mean it is set to Auto or Enable with IRQ settings? I am running mine set to Auto.
I don't want gpsd running every time I boot, I want it running when I need to use it, that is why I didn't/haven't reconfigured gpsd.

Yep, no flicker when BIOS is set to use the internal display.

kode-niner

#19 Post by kode-niner »

At the pub. I'll examine your findings on Sunday.
Daily drives a CF-31

SHEEPMAN!

#20 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I had better luck with GPS set to enable. (not auto)

Various things happened with MK2 and MK1. Finally disabling the smartcard reader smoothed things out.

MK2 manually set to 3E8/Irq11 for consistent ttyS2.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”