MARINUX

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
ADOR

MARINUX

#1 Post by ADOR »

Has anyone ran into this one yet?

http://marinux.tuxfamily.org/

It's a dedicated Marine linux OS

XINUTOP
Dedicated Marine OS

DESCRIPTION

Xinutop-nav is a Linux portable or installed marine OS, including a lightweight base applications from Xfce family, and provide, with less of 400Mo, essential marine applications such as:

Fldigi: reception and display radio weather-fax and NAVTEX, via the sound card.
OpenCPN: chartplotter, tides, AIS, grib files, GPS interface and others navigation datas (dashboard).
Polarcom: virtual instrumentation, from NMEA datas.
XTide: tides with numerical and graphical display, worlwide coverage.
Zygrib: download and display weather grib files.
Muplex: NMEA multiplexer.
OSD Depth: display water depth with big digits above any application (aka "on top").

Xinutop is made with a special care of lightness, simplicity, efficacy, reliability and can operate from multiple datas supports (HDD, SSD, USB, Flash) on a great variety of i386 compatible computers, specially with low power processors, or those unfairly considered as obsolete, poorly supporting the growing greed of currents OS, less and less compatible with embedded hardware. Xinutop can run as a portable operating system on removable device, but also as a main operating system on hard drive (same install). The memory usage after startup is about 100MB. To make Xinutop unbreakable (may I say "unbrickable" - used term for deads tablets - or almost ?), the necessary system files and directories are locked and can't be deleted or modified by a normal way (even in root mode).

Xinutop is assembled with Ubuntu 12.04 packages (Precise), including the scripts "lrd" by Gauvain Pocentek and provide:

It also has other stuff listed on the site like.

MUPLEX
NMEA Multiplexer

DESCRIPTION

MUPLEX is a Linux soft multiplexer that can mix different input flows of real or emulate serial datas NMEA and share it between multiple applications.

OSD DEPTH
OSD echo-sounder display

DESCRIPTION

OSD DEPTH is a Linux echo-sounder repeater which uses the OSD (On Screen Display) technique to display the water depth from NMEA sentences as DBT (Depth Below Transducer) or DPT (Depth). See screen copy at top of document.

RASTOW
Raster charts organizer

DESCRIPTION

*** RASTOW *** (raster-stow contraction) classify your raster charts collection (*.kap files) creating 96 subdirectories divided by timezone (15° steps, without any country exception), north and south, above and below 45° of latitude.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

UNCNDL1

Re: MARINUX

#2 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Ador, looks promising. I bookmarked the link you provided and will have a look this weekend. It looks like it's based on Ubuntu 12 and has some of the same applications as Navigatrix which is based on Ubuntu 14. Thanks for keeping your eyes out for more things to try! :doh:
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

SHEEPMAN!

#3 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Ador, Just be glad Cleve didn't send a four inch stack of "hey, try this" to you.

Cooking dinner, and writing a Linux post in me 'ead.

Cleve..buddy...take a look at this one. (Marinux)

Me...I'm putting a drive in a 52 caddy and trying some of this stuff (henceforth known as Cleve's stack) installed.

First or second will be Peppermint....maybe Kali will be first.

Stay tuned. Meanwhile I need to put the lamb chops in the pan.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

ADOR

#4 Post by ADOR »

I still plan to load up Navigatrix on either my CF-28 or CF-29 with GPS when I get a chance just too many projects, but I have been knocking a dent in them every time I am home. But I will keep y'all posted on any new linux stuff I find that has to do with Navigation.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”